Andrew Johnson

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
I remember when I was a kid, they said he was the worst President in history. What did he do to deserve that?

He put the people who ran the South before the Civil war back in power, and killed any chance of Blacks having a life in the South that wasn't burried in racism.

In short, because of him the civil rights movement would have to wait another century for the bullshit to stop.

He put the people who ran the South before the Civil war back in power, and killed any chance of Blacks having a life in the South that wasn't burried in racism.

In short, because of him the civil rights movement would have to wait another century for the bullshit to stop.

Absolute WRONG. He did no such thing. Grant sold out the South at the end of Reconstruction, pulling the military out and refusing to aid blacks being attacked and murdered that had held office during reconstruction.

What Johnson did was oppose the Republican majority in Congress on PUNITIVE measures for the SOUTH. Just as Lincoln had. Lincoln intended for a peaceful transition and when he was assassinated the republican Congress created punitive actions against the Southern States, Johnson opposed them. For that affront they tried to Impeach him. Only the sanity of a couple Republican Senators stopped that when they realized the Precedent they would be setting by kicking him out of Office.

Last edited:
I remember when I was a kid, they said he was the worst President in history. What did he do to deserve that?
After the Civil War and slavery was finally abolished, the southern Democrats kept the lower classes in line by limiting civil rights. The strong Republican majority in congress overrode a veto from Democrat President Andrew Johnson for the first time in US history and passed the Civil Rights Act of 1868. The racist Johnson then refused to enforce it.

Absolute WRONG. He did no such thing.
Sorry, but he ceratinly did.
It always annoys me when people say 'WRONG" when I'm 100% right and they in fact don't know what they are talking about.

Since you generally are a good guy I won't rip into you, but when it comes to history, I don't make these kinds of mistakes.

Please consider that before you claim I'm WRONG about something historical in nature.

As president he took charge of Presidential Reconstruction – the first phase of Reconstruction – which lasted until the Radical Republicans gained control of Congress in the 1866 elections. His conciliatory policies towards the South, his hurry to reincorporate the former Confederates back into the union, and his vetoes of civil rights bills embroiled him in a bitter dispute with some Republicans.[3] The Radicals in the House of Representatives impeached him in 1868 while charging him with violating the Tenure of Office Act, a law enacted by Congress in March 1867 over Johnson's veto, but he was acquitted by a single vote in the Senate.

Link to Andrew Johnson

Which is EXACTLY what I said. he tried to reintroduce the South back into the Union with no revenge or punishment. Exactly what Lincoln intended to do if he had lived.

I suggest YOU read your history books. Go ahead tell us which Southerners he put back in power. Reconstruction threw them all out and allowed the Military to run and allowed republicans to win.

Once again after Reconstruction was over Grant allowed the South to revert to its old ways, he turned a blind eye to the murder of blacks and the introduction of the racism and mistreatment of all the blacks and whites that had opposed the old ways.

• Banned
Which is EXACTLY what I said. he tried to reintroduce the South back into the Union with no revenge or punishment. Exactly what Lincoln intended to do if he had lived.

I suggest YOU read your history books. Go ahead tell us which Southerners he put back in power. Reconstruction threw them all out and allowed the Military to run and allowed republicans to win.

Once again after Reconstruction was over Grant allowed the South to revert to its old ways, he turned a blind eye to the murder of blacks and the introduction of the racism and mistreatment of all the blacks and whites that had opposed the old ways.

Is it your contention, Gunny, that Grant is the worst President in history?

I sugest you learn how to read, and man up when you fuck up.

Trying to claim you didn't say what you said is lame, I expect that from the Obamatoids and Bushbots.

What i said was 100% correct and you know it, YOU tried to claim it was not.

Stop being a pussy and admit you were wrong.

Is it your contention, Gunny, that Grant is the worst President in history?

No but on the point of what happened to the blacks in this Country he is the reason the South never adjusted.

Trying to claim you didn't say what you said is lame, I expect that from the Obamatoids and Bushbots.

REALLY, name those people he put back in power? Come on, and then explain how Reconstruction did not toss them all out for 10 years. Johnson was NOT President when Reconstruction ended, Grant was. Johnson did not order Federal troops out of the South and order the Federal Government to ignore the plight of the blacks in the South, Grant DID. You claimed Johnson lead to 100 yeas of racism, when the facts are Grant did that not Johnson.

REALLY, name those people he put back in power? Come on, and then explain how Reconstruction did not toss them all out for 10 years. Johnson was NOT President when Reconstruction ended, Grant was. Johnson did not order Federal troops out of the South and order the Federal Government to ignore the plight of the blacks in the South, Grant DID. You claimed Johnson lead to 100 yeas of racism, when the facts are Grant did that not Johnson.
The fact I linked you right to it could be your first clue.

And it didn't matter what grant did because the damage was already done when Grant became President, and Grant didn't pull the plug until his second term.

I lost a lot of respect for you today.

Men admit their mistakes, pouges keep trying to define what 'is' is.

And it didn't matter what grant did because the damage was already done when Grant became President, and Grant didn't pull the plug until his second term.

Absolute BULLSHIT. Once again under Reconstruction the South was NOT allowed to have its old leaders at all. In fact numerous Republicans were elected, including Blacks. So I REPEAT, what leaders did Johnson put back in power that were around after 1866? Come on can not be to hard for you to prove. Try.

He tried to enact Lincoln's policies which were conciliatory while the firebreathers in Congress wanted to extract vengeance. Johnson got in their way and they impeached him.

Absolute WRONG. He did no such thing.
Sorry, but he ceratinly did.
It always annoys me when people say 'WRONG" when I'm 100% right and they in fact don't know what they are talking about.

Since you generally are a good guy I won't rip into you, but when it comes to history, I don't make these kinds of mistakes.

Please consider that before you claim I'm WRONG about something historical in nature.

As president he took charge of Presidential Reconstruction – the first phase of Reconstruction – which lasted until the Radical Republicans gained control of Congress in the 1866 elections. His conciliatory policies towards the South, his hurry to reincorporate the former Confederates back into the union, and his vetoes of civil rights bills embroiled him in a bitter dispute with some Republicans.[3] The Radicals in the House of Representatives impeached him in 1868 while charging him with violating the Tenure of Office Act, a law enacted by Congress in March 1867 over Johnson's veto, but he was acquitted by a single vote in the Senate.

Link to Andrew Johnson

Fine. I'll use "incorrect." You are incorrect and RGS is correct.

He's not wrong. The fact is, blacks in the North were no better off than blacks in the South. White America was openly racist at the time. Those that were not were a small minority.

Andrew Johnson was guilty of nothing more than trying to implement Lincoln's plan.

You're being overly judgmental. Better minds than any on this board have argued this topic for over a century and it still rages on. Men don't use the appeal to emotion you keep trying to employ. Your answers are emotional as well as your insults.

The fact is, under the Johnson Administration, former Confederate office holders and/or officers were not allowed to hold public office. Who does THAT leave?

The South was occupied by Yankee carpetbaggers supported by US troops from the end of the Civil War until Grant pulled the troops out. The carpetbaggers were subsequently tossed out on their ears.

The South was divided into military districts and the final authority until Reconstruction ended was the US military.

Fine. I'll use "incorrect." You are incorrect and RGS is correct.
No, he's not.

Look again what i posted and what he said was wrong.

I'm 100% correct, he is 100% dead wrong.

Now I'm surprised at you, you guys have fonzie desease?

He's not wrong.
Yes he is.

The fact is, blacks in the North were no better off than blacks in the South.
Two things wrong with that, the first is it isn't true, Blacks did not have to endure Jim Crowe in the north at that time. The second is it isn't what I said.

White America was openly racist at the time. Those that were not were a small minority.
Doesn't change the fact that Johnson allowed the same southerners who rebelled back into power, nor did he lift a finger to stop the birth of orgs like the clan.

Andrew Johnson was guilty of nothing more than trying to implement Lincoln's plan.
There is a reason why we call him the worst president in history.

The Radical Republican Governments in the South

The radical Republican governments in the South attempted to deal constructively with the problems left by the Civil War and the abolition of slavery. Led by so-called carpetbaggers (Northerners who settled in the South) and scalawags (Southern whites in the Republican party) and freedmen, they began to rebuild the Southern economy and society. Agricultural production was restored, roads rebuilt, a more equitable tax system adopted, and schooling extended to blacks and poor whites. The freedmen's civil and political rights were guaranteed, and blacks were able to participate in the political and economic life of the South as full citizens for the first time.

The bitterness engendered by the Civil War remained, however, and most Southern whites objected strongly to the former slaves' new role in society. Organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan arose. Their acts of violence kept African Americans and white Republicans from voting, and gradually the radical Republican governments were overthrown. Their collapse was hastened by the death of the old radical leaders in Congress, such as Thaddeus Stevens and Charles Sumner, and by the revelation of internal corruption in the radical Republican governments; the Grant administration was compelled to lessen its support of them because of growing criticism in the North of corruption in the federal government itself.

Reconstruction: The Radical Republican Governments in the South — Infoplease.com

Here ya go.

You're being overly judgmental.
Not at all, I called him on bullshit and he's still deflecting, now with help.

Better minds than any on this board have argued this topic for over a century and it still rages on. Men don't use the appeal to emotion you keep trying to employ. Your answers are emotional as well as your insults.
Nonsense.

You can't change history because you don't want to deal with it, what is, is what is, and it is that cut and dried, especailly with Andrew Johnson.

The fact is, under the Johnson Administration, former Confederate office holders and/or officers were not allowed to hold public office. Who does THAT leave?

The South was occupied by Yankee carpetbaggers supported by US troops from the end of the Civil War until Grant pulled the troops out. The carpetbaggers were subsequently tossed out on their ears.
Which is irrelivent to what i said, Johnson caused this mess by allowing the same slavers back into power, causing a radical split in the US gov.

Are you aware the Klan was formed in 1867?

Who was the POTUS?

Again, there is good reason he is ranked as the worst US president.

Forum List

Back