Andrew Jackson, Guns, and Bullets

A recent History Channel program revealed a fact that I wasn't aware of. It seems that Jackson's wife was insulted by a local man, one Charles Dickinson and Jackson challenged him to a duel. The problem was that the man had killed something like a dozen men in duels and was known as a crack shot. Jackson's apparent strategy was to wait until Dickinson fired the first shot and take careful aim while Dickinson was compelled by honor to remain still after he fired. Jackson was hit near the heart but regained his feet, put his hand over the wound to stop the blood and carefully aimed and shot the other man in the heart instantly killing him. Jackson recovered but the bullet remained in his body for the rest of his life. That's a politician with a set of culyones that you don't see today. It should be noted that Reagan was shot and carried the bullet for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Handguns were not all that reliable before the late 19th century, as mass production became more standardized.

"the darker the night the bolder the lion" - Theodore Roosevelt

"I WAS BORN FOR A STORM & A CALM DOES NOT SUIT ME!" - Andrew Jackson

"The number of scandals that threatened to consume Jackson between his admission to the bar & his election to the White House - martial law in New Orleans, the execution of mutineers in the field, invading Florida arguably without proper authority, killing British subjects, his murky marriage, his slaying of Charles Dickinson, the gunfight with the Bentons...." AND HERE'S THE KICKER....".....- would have ended most political careers"

Andrew Jackson was the last president who actually balanced the federal budget where we had no national debt!

Forum List

Back