Andrew INDIAN KILLER Jackson

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
How can this THING be ranked among the top ten Presidents by historians? He owned slaves, slaughtered Native Americans and took pride in his vile acts. Nothing he did for white men can make up for this.

I concentrated in history undergrad but my father insisted on law school for me. Nixon in my opinion was brilliant in foreign policy but remains tainted by his paranoid, dishonest acts. Jackson ranks highly among historians for economic successes and his brutality is ignored. Will Nixon gain respect as the decades pass by? I was taught history cannot be learned from present circumstances; only by hindsight.

Wow.

Three years and one month and this is what you have for us? Andrew Jackson?

You do know that George Washington also owned slaves and killed Native Americans, right?

Thomas Jefferson? Slave owner.

James Madison owned and sold slaves all his life.

James Monroe owned 30-40 slaves.

Martin Van Buren owned at least one slave.

William Henry Harrison had several.

John Tyler had slaves.

James K. Polk had 15 slaves.

Zachary Taylor owned more than 100 slaves.

Andrew Johnson owned 8 slaves.

Ulysses S. Grant freed his slaves.

Before one goes posting stupid shit, one might take a moment to consider the times in which the subject existed...

Wow.

You do know that George Washington also owned slaves and killed Native Americans, right?

John Tyler had slaves.

Before one goes posting stupid shit, one might take a moment to consider the times in which the subject existed...

Who said anything about slaves? That's a different issue. But I would say that a president who says "the (Supreme Court) has made their decision, now let's see them enforce it"....sounds like a dictator to me.

Wow.

John Tyler had slaves.

Who said anything about slaves? That's a different issue. But I would say that a president who says "the (Supreme Court) has made their decision, now let's see them enforce it"....sounds like a dictator to me.

the OP

sounds like a realist to me, given the times.

it's interesting that lincoln gets a pass on the dictator tag from you, because a lot of people would consider suspension of habeus corpus, um, dicatatorial.

All true but The INDIAN KILLER ranks too high; you list Washington, and Jefferson, as though they were contemporaries of Jackson. Jackson signed the INDIAN REMOVAL ACT. That was four YEARS after Jefferson and Adams died (on the same day). Adams never owned slaves; Jackson killed thousands of Indians and created the TRAIL OF TEARS. Read some American History: The Great Republic is a good starting point.

For all of you folks that find President Jackson disgusting, feel free to send me any currency you have that might have his picture on it. I wouldn't want you going around feeling offended.

I concentrated in history undergrad but my father insisted on law school for me. Nixon in my opinion was brilliant in foreign policy but remains tainted by his paranoid, dishonest acts. Jackson ranks highly among historians for economic successes and his brutality is ignored. Will Nixon gain respect as the decades pass by? I was taught history cannot be learned from present circumstances; only by hindsight.
He probably will be. Bill clinton started his rehabilitation. As we see more ethically challenged people take the office, Nixon's problems will continue to pale in comparison.

the OP

sounds like a realist to me, given the times.

it's interesting that lincoln gets a pass on the dictator tag from you, because a lot of people would consider suspension of habeus corpus, um, dicatatorial.

Jackson wasn't facing armed insurrection from half the country. I stand corrected about the OP mentioning slavery

I wish I had continued. Law interfered. I ask to learn; you insult for pleasure I gather.

Three years & one month? What are you referring to?

Wow.

John Tyler had slaves.

Sounds like how the present occupant of 1600 regards Congress to me

Not a real student of history, are ya?

I am history professor at the university level. I agree with the OP. Jackson was a disgrace and the closest we ever came to a dictatorship until FDR.

Didn't you tell us you are a chef? :confused::confused:

Weren't you posting cooking advice and recipes? :confused:

I spent 24 years as a professional chef. During that time I focused on furthering my education and qualifications to teach. The last ten years I have spent teaching business management classes. My interest in history was such that I additionally pursued enough credits to teach history courses as well. So early in my career I was primarily focused on the restaurant business and later in my career (retirement job) I focused on education in business and history.

I am history professor at the university level. I agree with the OP. Jackson was a disgrace and the closest we ever came to a dictatorship until FDR.

Didn't you tell us you are a chef? :confused::confused:

Weren't you posting cooking advice and recipes? :confused:

I spent 24 years as a professional chef. During that time I focused on furthering my education and qualifications to teach. The last ten years I have spent teaching business management classes. My interest in history was such that I additionally pursued enough credits to teach history courses as well. So early in my career I was primarily focused on the restaurant business and later in my career (retirement job) I focused on education in business and history.

Fair enough.

New Topics

Forum List

Back