Anderson Cooper: "I don't believe in inheritance"

Wow!

Do you know nothing about the rich and famous

Here's a clue, they AND THEIR FAMILIES hang out together!

That's "bank"

Geez, really! You need this drawn out for you!

Spin all you like but you prove my original point: you're fueling yourself on ass-umptions.
As I said, that doesn't go real far for me. But I sure like reading blanket statements and "everybody knows" fallacies. :rock:

Lack of sleep

Who do you think really cares?

Get some rest, your melting down over something that's simply silliness

Can't just say you were wrong? It has to be your opponent "melted down"?

Way to man up, Screwball.

Spin all you like but you prove my original point: you're fueling yourself on ass-umptions.
As I said, that doesn't go real far for me. But I sure like reading blanket statements and "everybody knows" fallacies. :rock:

Lack of sleep

Who do you think really cares?

Get some rest, your melting down over something that's simply silliness

Can't just say you were wrong? It has to be your opponent "melted down"?

Way to man up, Screwball.

^^^^^attention whore warning^^^^^^^

I thought it was common knowledge years ago who his mother was

I like Anderson Cooper

But I think his opinion on inheritance would be different if he made $40 K a year instead of $6 million a year

He's right. If that money were sitting there waiting on him, he would be doing absolutely nothing. He is wealthy in his own right and doesn't need her dough...which SHE inherited herself. Mom done good. So did he.

But not when it's government handouts, somehow it's different then?

Who said that?

This is the whole point of posting the article; he does what he does without the handout. Why is that a bad thing? I thought self-sufficiency was a positive, yet I get a bunch of whiners muttering "what choice did he have" and "that's stupid, take the money". That's the sentiment I didn't expect. Funny how that works.

Well at least you see the comparison, even if you have to inject a blanket strawman in search of a political dig.

AC might be doing what he does without a huge handout like the entire family fortune, but he would not be where he is without the lavish handouts he's received his entire life.

That's an important distinction.

But not when it's government handouts, somehow it's different then?

Who said that?

This is the whole point of posting the article; he does what he does without the handout. Why is that a bad thing? I thought self-sufficiency was a positive, yet I get a bunch of whiners muttering "what choice did he have" and "that's stupid, take the money". That's the sentiment I didn't expect. Funny how that works.

Well at least you see the comparison, even if you have to inject a blanket strawman in search of a political dig.

AC might be doing what he does without a huge handout like the entire family fortune, but he would not be where he is without the lavish handouts he's received his entire life.

Anderson Cooper reminds me a lot of Mitt Romney. They claim they do not need their family fortune but ignore the impact that family connections had in getting them ahead.

You're making a leap.

You are serious?

Sure. After all what evidence do you have? Assumptions don't go far with me.

Did you know who his mother was before this? Me neither. But I knew who he is. So I don't think he built an audience on her name. He doesn't even use it. It's become a trivia question.

This is a pretty famous photo. That's Anderson on the right:

1341262128_8931_A4.jpg

This is from a story about him before he was 2:

Vanderbilt_Family112.jpg

Mike Nesmith's mother invented Wite-Out. He didn't get to be a Monkee on the back of that fact; it's something we found out later after he did his own accomplishments. Again, a trivia question. Arguably he's more famous than she is; had he not been a Monkee and had a music and film career I doubt either of us would know who invented Wite-Out.

Actually, he was quite affluent and was given his first guitar by his rich mom. She also bankrolled his lifestyle as a musician.

Who said that?

Anderson Cooper reminds me a lot of Mitt Romney. They claim they do not need their family fortune but ignore the impact that family connections had in getting them ahead.

True. It doesn't make them bad people but they are hardly "self-made." To both of their credit, I haven't heard either of them claim to be that.

I'm still trying to wrap my hands around the 'if he had a kid in the future' talk

I thought he played punter, not receiver

-Geaux

I'll bet he'd be singing a different tune if it was the family farm as inheritance and he knew as soon as mom died he's be forced to sell the farm to cover the inheritance taxes.

Can you find us oa real life example of that happening in the real world?

I've read about this tragedy but nobody has ever given us an example of it happening.

Has that happened to you or someone you know, Steven R?

How much over a Five million dollars was that family farm worth and how much taxes were owed on it?

FYI

Under ATRA, the federal estate tax, gift tax, and generation-skipping transfer tax exemptions were set at $5,000,000 but are to be indexed for inflation beginning in 2011. This means that each exemption sits at $5,250,000 for 2013, will increase to $5,340,000 in 2014, and will continue to be increased according to inflation rates in 2015 and beyond. In addition, ATRA set the top estate tax, gift tax and generation-skipping transfer tax at 40% and made portability of the estate tax and gift tax exemptions between married couples permanent for 2013 and future years.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back