And you wonder why Americans are fat.

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I have tried many diet strategies in my life. (Not all the kind meant for weight loss)

I've done everything from raw foods only, vegetarianism, high carb low fat etc.

I always found that I felt something was missing, especially on the government recommended food pyramid.

Now the USDA food pyramid recommends 15% protein, 25% fats and 60% carbohydrates .

I came across anther food pyramid that illustrates why people who follow the USDA pyramid are getting fatter and fatter.

The feed lot pyramid is used as a guideline to fatten up livestock for slaughter.

It looks like this: 14% protein, 25% fats, 61% carbohydrates.

Is it any wonder Americans look like heifers and sows?

I have tried many diet strategies in my life. (Not all the kind meant for weight loss)

I always found that I felt something was missing, especially on the government recommended food pyramid.

Now the USDA food pyramid recommends 15% protein, 25% fats and 60% carbohydrates .

I came across anther food pyramid that illustrates why people who follow the USDA pyramid are getting fatter and fatter.

The feed lot pyramid is used as a guideline to fatten up livestock for slaughter.

Well, the pyramid is gone because of the controversy. It's been replaced by My Plate which recommends 30% grains 30% vegetables, 20% fruit, 20% protein.

Well, the pyramid is gone because of the controversy. It's been replaced by My Plate which recommends 30% grains 30% vegetables, 20% fruit, 20% protein.

That's more like it. Replaced all that white flour carb with the grains.

Still way too low in protein.

I don't know too many people are following and eating the Govt food pyramid. Maybe people are fat cuz they eat too much crap and dont' exercise enough. It isn't that hard to figure out.

Too many carbs is what makes you fat. It's the sugar. Most people can lose weight simply by cutting out the soft drink and scaling back on the amount of carbs they eat, even without exercising. Of course, sedentary lifestyles are a big part of it too. Technology has made too many people in this country lazy and as a result the pounds are packing on. It doesn't take much effort to take a short mile walk each day to get in some exercise. Fat people disgust me.

I think i will quit posting here since i have to wait 30 seconds between going back and forth every thread. Sheesh. I can read and post a lot faster than that.

I think i will quit posting here since i have to wait 30 seconds between going back and forth every thread. Sheesh. I can read and post a lot faster than that.

You don't have to wait 30 seconds between going back and forth every thread. Only between doing searches.

Well, i read one. Then, i try to click on "New Posts" to get back to the main board. SHould i click something different. I can follow several threads at once and click back and forth between them.

Well, i read one. Then, i try to click on "New Posts" to get back to the main board. SHould i click something different. I can follow several threads at once and click back and forth between them.

Ah yeah, for some reason "New Posts" is considered a search. If you click on "US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum" at the top left, that takes back you back to the main forum page with all the categories listed.

Exercise and sweet potatoes with cinnamon.

Then add more fruits and vegetables.

Carbs can sneak up on person and keep one busy working them off.

Go Vegan, for your health, animal welfare, and the environment. The reason for so much cancer, diabetes, and cancer, is the standard American Diet, which includes far too many animals products. Check out the China study and the documentary Forks Over Knives. Yeah, yeah, I know... stupid vegan and his vegan propaganda.

Calories in minus Calories out.

Factory Farming has to go, for your health, the environment, and the animals:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62UaDKdxos]Farm to Fridge - The Truth Behind Meat Production - YouTube[/ame]

Anybody in either my maternal or paternal family that dies before 80 years old is considered to have died young. Most live into their late 80's. Some have made it past 100. Most are active to at least their mid-80's. Many are mentally active and capable to the day that they die. A few of the women have suffered dementia in their last couple of years, but most do not.

And they eat almost anything that is put in front of them. Three factors seem to be in play, one, most do not smoke, two, few drink at all, and those that do, do so in moderation, and three, almost all keep physically active, even with arthritis or rheumatism.

Genetics and avoidance of the toxins of tobacco and excessive alcohol are a big part of their longevity, but I think most important is the fact that they remain physically and mentally active.

Go Vegan, for your health, animal welfare, and the environment. The reason for so much cancer, diabetes, and cancer, is the standard American Diet, which includes far too many animals products. Check out the China study and the documentary Forks Over Knives. Yeah, yeah, I know... stupid vegan and his vegan propaganda.

Farm to Fridge - The Truth Behind Meat Production - YouTube

We evolved to be omnivores.

Our brains are what they are today because we ate meat, specifically cooked meat.

And not all meat comes from the commercial industry.

I buy my beef from a local farm not 50 miles from me. A couple friends and I buy a whole cow every year and freeze the beef. I buy eggs from a friend of mine who keeps chickens. I buy pastured poultry and heritage turkeys from a farm in RI and game meat from friends of mine who hunt.

You're not going to guilt me into that whole cruel and bad for the environment crap.

Besides that I have tried the vegetarian diet and found it to be lacking in B vitamins and quite frankly left me with little energy. I have found that I have a sensitivity to insulin. When I eat a high carb diet my body produced way too much insulin and as a result I gain weight and my blood chemistry goes wacko.

Maybe if you set up the RSS Feed it would go faster on the updates?

Farm to Fridge - The Truth Behind Meat Production - YouTube

We evolved to be omnivores.

Our brains are what they are today because we ate meat, specifically cooked meat.

And not all meat comes from the commercial industry.

I buy my beef from a local farm not 50 miles from me. A couple friends and I buy a whole cow every year and freeze the beef. I buy eggs from a friend of mine who keeps chickens. I buy pastured poultry and heritage turkeys from a farm in RI and game meat from friends of mine who hunt.

You're not going to guilt me into that whole cruel and bad for the environment crap.

Besides that I have tried the vegetarian diet and found it to be lacking in B vitamins and quite frankly left me with little energy. I have found that I have a sensitivity to insulin. When I eat a high carb diet my body produced way too much insulin and as a result I gain weight and my blood chemistry goes wacko.

have you visited these 'local' farms? i am always amused at people who think they need to re invent the wheel with diets.....exercise more than you eat....seems rather simple to me....

game meat from hunters......i would worry that they are selling you the animals that they had to run down...will have an off taste....who butchers the game?

The root of American obesity is inactivity. Diet plays a role, but the main problem is inactivity.

The slimmest I've been since high school was during a period where I was consuming 5000+ calories per day. I was on the Appalachian trail hiking up 20 miles a day with a 50 lb backpack through rugged terrain.

Now granted most normal Americans don't have all day to burn calories - but if you just look at New York City you see what happens if people just get in an average of 4 miles a day walking. This is barely over an hour a day of walking. Might seem like a lot to folks but many people have commutes by car that are about 30 minutes one way - if we could all just walk to work, like we had been doing for most all of history until recently, obesity would disappear as a major health issue.

Last edited:
Anybody in either my maternal or paternal family that dies before 80 years old is considered to have died young. Most live into their late 80's. Some have made it past 100. Most are active to at least their mid-80's. Many are mentally active and capable to the day that they die. A few of the women have suffered dementia in their last couple of years, but most do not.

And they eat almost anything that is put in front of them. Three factors seem to be in play, one, most do not smoke, two, few drink at all, and those that do, do so in moderation, and three, almost all keep physically active, even with arthritis or rheumatism.

Genetics and avoidance of the toxins of tobacco and excessive alcohol are a big part of their longevity, but I think most important is the fact that they remain physically and mentally active.
My grandfather ( from my mother's side) smoked, he quit when he was 67 years old, and according to him, he began smoking at 10 years old when he picked up a tossed cigarette butt (ewwwwww, yes, GROSS), and he lived until he was 91. He also drank in moderation....he had a glass of red vino, every night with dinner.....My grandmother who did not smoke, ever....lived until 87....her mother, my great grandmother, lived until 102....

My father, who was a smoker for 45-50 years, he quit when he was in his early 60's and he is 80 years old this year...(he too began smoking as a child, like grandpa)

but, my husband's father was also a smoker....and he died of cancer when he was only 57.... :(

I think genes do have a lot to do with longevity too....

Forum List

Back