And We Didn't Think The French Had A Sense of Humor

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050205/ap_on_re_eu/france_anti_american_paper

They have a new 'satirical newspaper':

..."We're so invaded by American culture, we can't resist," he said.

The first edition in December sold 7,500 copies, advertised only by word-of-mouth and its eye-catching cover, Royer said.

Its Bush re-election headline read: "France offers political asylum to Americans!"

The cover of January's issue features a voluptuous blonde clad only in an American flag beside a doctored photo of Bush as a paperboy, proudly pointing to his presidential seal.

"The name is 'anti-American' for laughs, but it's really anti-Bush," said Royer.

By ordering troops into Iraq over European protest and refusing to back international efforts to curb global warming, Bush looks to some Europeans like a cowboy thumbing his nose at the world.

Conversely, some Americans see France as ungrateful for U.S. help during World War II.

"These grudges will probably last a long time. They go deep beyond the White House and Washington, and out to Middle America," said political scientist Steven Ekovich of the American University of Paris.

Royer acknowledges the success of "L'Anti-Americain" rests on Bush providing good material.

"The danger is to do something too basic, too stupidly anti-American," Royer said. But he expects success "because of the ambient air — maybe what I think a lot of French people are feeling right now."

My best friend is from the Basque region of France . For a long time he only read newspapers and magazines from France . He didn't watch tv and because of a lack of truth he was a hater of President Bush . He and I couldn't even discuss politics because he just wouldn't listen , he had been taught for years that we didn't have a free press and we were fed nothing but propaganda . I've never stopped trying to get him to see our side of things . Something happened in his life , his wife left him and he is now with an intelligent woman who has satellite tv . He started watching our news programs (not even Fox) and because of the criticism of our President he sees that we do have free press . He read a French magazine that criticized the U.S. for only sending 40 million to the Tsunami victims and that started his change . He saw first hand that they were the propaganda source because he knew the truth. He watched the State of the Union Address and was blown away . He finally saw and heard the President and was able to make up his own mind . He saw W to be an advocate of freedom and peace for the world and has changed his mind completely , he felt that his speech was one of the best he had ever heard . He is now planning to go for his citizenship and become an American ! :usa:
Amazing to witness , he is not yet a Republican but is now a big fan of the President . Now he watches the Ted Kennedys and John Kerrys and sees them for what they are . :clap1:

sitarro said:
My best friend is from the Basque region of France . For a long time he only read newspapers and magazines from France . He didn't watch tv and because of a lack of truth he was a hater of President Bush . He and I couldn't even discuss politics because he just wouldn't listen , he had been taught for years that we didn't have a free press and we were fed nothing but propaganda . I've never stopped trying to get him to see our side of things . Something happened in his life , his wife left him and he is now with an intelligent woman who has satellite tv . He started watching our news programs (not even Fox) and because of the criticism of our President he sees that we do have free press . He read a French magazine that criticized the U.S. for only sending 40 million to the Tsunami victims and that started his change . He saw first hand that they were the propaganda source because he knew the truth. He watched the State of the Union Address and was blown away . He finally saw and heard the President and was able to make up his own mind . He saw W to be an advocate of freedom and peace for the world and has changed his mind completely , he felt that his speech was one of the best he had ever heard . He is now planning to go for his citizenship and become an American ! :usa:
Amazing to witness , he is not yet a Republican but is now a big fan of the President . Now he watches the Ted Kennedys and John Kerrys and sees them for what they are . :clap1:

It's a wonder. Over and over we have heard from Europeans that we do not have 'a free press'. Heck I would say even the most aware amongst us complain often and loudly about bias in the press. It's not so much that the news isn't there, just what they choose to invest space on.

But those of us that are determined to hunt info down, know that much of what is relevant is NOT found on the front page, but rather in 'capsules' of Nation or World. May only be a couple of paragraphs, but with the internet, that is all one needs.

Eh, the French are right to worry about grudges. It wasn't until the first wave of my generation (I'm 22) that the south started to truly get over the *Civil War*. I have a feeling it'll be a while before we start thinking of the French as anything good.

Hobbit said:
Eh, the French are right to worry about grudges. It wasn't until the first wave of my generation (I'm 22) that the south started to truly get over the *Civil War*. I have a feeling it'll be a while before we start thinking of the French as anything good.

Shoot, many wonder about the French committment in the Revolutionary War. Seems they were in it for themselves. :eek: Now they are surprised that we may have an interest in our choice of battles!

Kathianne said:
Shoot, many wonder about the French committment in the Revolutionary War. Seems they were in it for themselves. :eek: <b>Now they are surprised that we may have an interest in our choice of battles!</b>
jsut like they had an interst in not going in with us...lol
but Hobbits right, it will take a very long time before the frogs can redeem themselves in "our" eyes

lester.gif

My best friend is from the Basque region of France . For a long time he only read newspapers and magazines from France . He didn't watch tv and because of a lack of truth he was a hater of President Bush . He and I couldn't even discuss politics because he just wouldn't listen , he had been taught for years that we didn't have a free press and we were fed nothing but propaganda . I've never stopped trying to get him to see our side of things . Something happened in his life , his wife left him and he is now with an intelligent woman who has satellite tv . He started watching our news programs (not even Fox) and because of the criticism of our President he sees that we do have free press . He read a French magazine that criticized the U.S. for only sending 40 million to the Tsunami victims and that started his change . He saw first hand that they were the propaganda source because he knew the truth. He watched the State of the Union Address and was blown away . He finally saw and heard the President and was able to make up his own mind . He saw W to be an advocate of freedom and peace for the world and has changed his mind completely , he felt that his speech was one of the best he had ever heard . He is now planning to go for his citizenship and become an American !
Amazing to witness , he is not yet a Republican but is now a big fan of the President . Now he watches the Ted Kennedys and John Kerrys and sees them for what they are .

Sitarro, not all the French are like your "best friend".
Lkke not all the Americans are open minded.

Your friend like actually Bush, but what does it proove ? nothing. It is not because he starts to read US press that it open his mind, suddenly.
Becuse there is a lot of anti Bush in USA, and this people read the US press...So, are they particularly close-minded ?
Your friend may be influenced.

padisha emperor said:
Sitarro, not all the French are like your "best friend".
Lkke not all the Americans are open minded.

Your friend like actually Bush, but what does it proove ? nothing. It is not because he starts to read US press that it open his mind, suddenly.
Becuse there is a lot of anti Bush in USA, and this people read the US press...So, are they particularly close-minded ?
Your friend may be influenced.

Padisha ,
What is your point? I was just telling a story of a Basque man that has seen the light of day .He actually listened to the President's speech without all of the bullshit twisting of the meaning . He did read a French newspaper later that week that totally butchered the speech , more control of the uninformed. I certainly don't think all French people are as intelligent as he is , judging by the large groups of protesters (that obviously don't work or are on strike ) , most aren't . The more informed people get , the less willing they are to believe the propaganda put out by biased sources .
I bet you believe the crap about the superiority of the Airbus 380 , what a joke . At a time where airlines are barely staying solvent , the Euros come out with the biggest piece of crap ever . A 4 engined gas hog that will never be filled with paying customers . Of course it hasn't flown yet , we don't know if it will get off the ground empty much less with fuel and 800 people on board . Nothing more than an ego trip that will be as successful at making money as the Concorde . Once again Europe is about 20 years behind the technology/business curve .
My ancestors were smart enough to leave France in the 1500s . . . thank God! How's that postal strike working for you Padish?

If you said that's your friend saw the light of the day because he read now foreigners newspappers, I agree, I totally agree.

But you have to admit that not allty eh US newspappers are the keepers of truth. I just meant that the US newspappers may be wrong too, sometimes.

For the A-380, don't think that's the miracle plane, but lot of contracts have been passed, and he would make quickly money if the contracts' number are growing up.

Your ancestors leftFrance in the 1500's ? really ? where did they land ? Canada ? Maine ? Have you still contacts with France ?

;)

padisha emperor said:
If you said that's your friend saw the light of the day because he read now foreigners newspappers, I agree, I totally agree.

But you have to admit that not allty eh US newspappers are the keepers of truth. I just meant that the US newspappers may be wrong too, sometimes.

For the A-380, don't think that's the miracle plane, but lot of contracts have been passed, and he would make quickly money if the contracts' number are growing up.

Your ancestors leftFrance in the 1500's ? really ? where did they land ? Canada ? Maine ? Have you still contacts with France ?

;)

Nettoyer votre pm box. :funnyface

padisha emperor said:

;)

Padisha ,
What I said was. . . My friend was only reading publications from France for the 3 years I have known him . He didn't watch television and didn't read American publications. He is now watching satellite television and reading a wide variety of magazines and newspapers . Because he is now informed from a wider source than just French publications , and he now undrerstands our language better , and has actually listened to President Bush speak , he has changed his opinions completely .He now sees that the French publications are the ones spreading lies and deceit .

My ancestors left La Rochelle for Nova Scotia where they were screwed over by the British . They finally ended up in South Louisiana where they became expert cooks and party people.

sitarro said:
Padisha ,

My ancestors left La Rochelle for Nova Scotia where they were screwed over by the British . They finally ended up in South Louisiana where they became expert cooks and party people.

Mmmmmmmm.....

Cajun food!

sitarro said:

Cool, the Acadians. My great grandfather's family came over from France in the early 1800s, although I forget where they started out. THey wound up in Ottawa mid century, and bought up as much land as they could.

Sitarro, did they left la Rochelle because they were Protestants ? (don't know if it is the correct word, i mean the no-catholics, the reformated - Luther, Calvin...... - )

And thank you for your precedent answer ;)

Pad

padisha emperor said:
Sitarro, did they left la Rochelle because they were Protestants ? (don't know if it is the correct word, i mean the no-catholics, the reformated - Luther, Calvin...... - )

And thank you for your precedent answer ;)

Pad
My sir name is Sonnier , from what I have been told that is a variation of the original spelling to indicate the people that dealt with salt on the black market.I would imagine that they either were caught in their salt dealings and cast out of France or they were about to get caught and fled to Nova Scotia , I have heard both as explanations for their exit from France. Either way , France considered them criminals .
My family is Catholic.

it is exactly that : in french, it is "SAUNIER" - same pronounciation as SONNIER - .
A "saunier" was the worker who take the salt, and also the man who deal salt on the black market.

Yes, these guys did risk a lot, because the salt was an impotrant ressource...

Thank you ;)
(if I ask you about the religion, it is because during the XVIth and also at the end of teh XVIIth centuries, the protestants were perscuted - or prosecuted ? don't know the correct word, sorry - by the King. So, lot of people flew to the colonies. and La Rochelle was an important place for the protestants - Louis XIII and Richelieu took it in 1628...So, lot of peple went to Canada, Louisiana.... )

;)

Forum List

Back