And we are the richest nation on the planet???

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Homeless find temporary haven in tent camps - CNN.com

Tent camps once associated mainly with the "Hoovervilles" of the Great Depression are springing up in places as varied as Sacramento, California; Nashville, Tennessee; Pinellas County, Florida; Providence, Rhode Island; and Seattle, Washington.

The camps have often led to standoffs between local governments that say the camps violate housing ordinances and homeless rights advocates who argue that people struggling to get back on their feet need a permanent place to stay.

There are no definitive numbers on how many people have taken to living in homeless camps. A recent annual report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development showed an increase in homelessness among families while overall rates of homelessness stayed roughly the same.

Does this bother anyone else?

Fuck No we are not the richest nation on the planet. We are broke.. for every dollar we spend we borrow 50 cents of it. When are you libtards gonna get that we don't have a grove of money trees? Having said that,, tent cities are not "just now' springing up. Some of them have been there for years.

Fuck No we are not the richest nation on the planet. We are broke.. for every dollar we spend we borrow 50 cents of it. When are you libtards gonna get that we don't have a grove of money trees? Having said that,, tent cities are not "just now' springing up. Some of them have been there for years.

No shit, Dick Tracey. If you had read the article, you would've known there was no need to add this on.

Fuck No we are not the richest nation on the planet. We are broke..

The US is the richest nation on earth by a wide margin

They have politicized tent cities, this is sad. BTW Tent Cities is what Seattlites know them as.

The only problem is that people keep fighting them, many actually prefer to live in them. It's a low cost lifestyle and humanity doesn't need houses to live in. I have actually fought for their right to exist, the problem is that people are making it illegal to camp in the wilderness so they have to move into the urban areas (where people see them more), then they rant and rave about the non-existent increase in crime as an excuse to push them away.

And whether we WERE the richest nation on the planet or not is irrelevant.... just because one exists does not entitle one to suck off the tit of society or have your needs taken care of by the labor of another... in our nation based on freedom and liberty, you have the opportunity to fail that goes hand-in-hand with the opportunity to succeed.. it is supposed to be on your merits, your efforts, your labors, your endeavors, your choices, your ideas, and your gumption... not just given to you for the simple fact that you exist

Personally.. if I am in need of a place to stay, I am not against working 2 or 3 jobs... putting forth the effort to find out what it takes to go from entry level to a better position... going to the library to read education and certification books to advance my knowledge and increase demand for my knowledge... spending money on a suit from goodwill rather than buying a case of beer and a carton of smokes... looking for organizations and charities or individuals that offer job skills training, possibly in exchange for labor or services I can provide in return.... saving $25 a week so that I can pay for a class at the community college in the next semester to boost my education background.... the list goes on...

But no... we have people like you who simply blame others for simply not giving you want you want or 'need' with no effort or contribution by you... you entitlement junkies sicken me

You probably shouldn't post articles and ask for opinions, VaSkank if yer just gonna get all upset about the answers. It doesn't make you look too smart.

But to answer your question, no it doesn't. (Yes I read the article)

And whether we WERE the richest nation on the planet or not is irrelevant.... just because one exists does not entitle one to suck off the tit of society or have your needs taken care of by the labor of another... in our nation based on freedom and liberty, you have the opportunity to fail that goes hand-in-hand with the opportunity to succeed.. it is supposed to be on your merits, your efforts, your labors, your endeavors, your choices, your ideas, and your gumption... not just given to you for the simple fact that you exist

Personally.. if I am in need of a place to stay, I am not against working 2 or 3 jobs... putting forth the effort to find out what it takes to go from entry level to a better position... going to the library to read education and certification books to advance my knowledge and increase demand for my knowledge... spending money on a suit from goodwill rather than buying a case of beer and a carton of smokes... looking for organizations and charities or individuals that offer job skills training, possibly in exchange for labor or services I can provide in return.... saving $25 a week so that I can pay for a class at the community college in the next semester to boost my education background.... the list goes on...

But no... we have people like you who simply blame others for simply not giving you want you want or 'need' with no effort or contribution by you... you entitlement junkies sicken me

I asked a fair question, that you have refused to answer. However, you DID manage to accuse me of "blaming others". Please find where I did this and post it here, or I will await your apology for you being a liar.

You probably shouldn't post articles and ask for opinions, VaSkank if yer just gonna get all upset about the answers. It doesn't make you look too smart.

But to answer your question, no it doesn't. (Yes I read the article)

I understand your opinion and it is probably warranted. HOWEVER, the poster I responded to didn't even bother to answer my question. Instead, he went straight into excuse mode for the tent cities. That tells me he has an agenda. What does that tell you?

Tent camps once associated mainly with the "Hoovervilles" of the Great Depression are springing up in places as varied as Sacramento, California; Nashville, Tennessee; Pinellas County, Florida; Providence, Rhode Island; and Seattle, Washington.

The camps have often led to standoffs between local governments that say the camps violate housing ordinances and homeless rights advocates who argue that people struggling to get back on their feet need a permanent place to stay.

There are no definitive numbers on how many people have taken to living in homeless camps. A recent annual report from the Department of Housing and Urban Development showed an increase in homelessness among families while overall rates of homelessness stayed roughly the same.

Our nation is over a trillion dollars in debt, we exceed the debt level of any nation that I've heard about so far. So No We are not the richest nation on the planet as we are bankrupt.

However I dont like that some people end up without homes even when they try hard to stay in one.

Our nation is over a trillion dollars in debt, we exceed the debt level of any nation that I've heard about so far. So No We are not the richest nation on the planet as we are bankrupt.

However I dont like that some people end up without homes even when they try hard to stay in one.

A trillion dollars in debt??

What is our net worth? Something like $60 Trillion?

No. Should it?

No. Should it?

I don't know if it should or not. But I appreciate your honest answer. IF we are not willing to take care of the poorest and weakest of us, why are we willing to spend billlions of dollars on defense systems to defend their right to be the poorest and weakest?

I asked a fair question, that you have refused to answer. However, you DID manage to accuse me of "blaming others". Please find where I did this and post it here, or I will await your apology for you being a liar.

I'm pretty sure his answer was a resounding NO. But I could be mistaken, which would be a first.

I'm pretty sure his answer was a resounding NO. But I could be mistaken, which would be a first.

Meanwhile I await his apology for lying.

The premise behind your posting of this thread is that is we are the richest nation on the planet, then why do we have people living in tents... and the simple answer is, as stated, that even if we are the richest nation, we are a nation based on freedom and liberty... including the opportunity to fail...

And if you believe that we should not have people failing when we are 'rich', then you must believe we owe things to other in order for them not to fail.. and if we are not just simply handing out entitlements, and you are condemning the current situation, by logic you are blaming those who have access for not having that excess supporting those who have failed in their efforts

You will get no apology from me

America's 'wealth' has nothing to do with anything. It's our FREEDOMS that count... which includes the freedom to decide not to work and live in tent cities.

And no, it doesn't bother me at all. There are thousands of non-govt charities throughout the US where help is available for people who want it, whether it's food or job skills or child care or medical assistance or housing or transportation. What keeps everyone from jumping on these free hand-outs? There are strings attached... like you have to actually show up for job training or you have to agree to stay off drugs and alcohol. Many homeless people prefer living on the streets to abiding by rules.

As much as lefties love to believe they can 'save' everyone... they never understand that not everyone wants to be saved. It's called freedom of choice. A concept that scares the pants off liberals.

Rightwinger a nations wealth is measured by its GDP, here is a world map with GDPs displayed as colors on it. As you can see there are a few other nations that top us, we are not the richest as a nation and our govt is bankrupt.

800px-GDP_nominal_per_capita_world_map_IMF_2008.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back