And Today's Poll Results From CBS

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
:lol: Not a break to be found for Team Obama:

Poll: Americans Say Bad Economy Will Linger - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

A majority of Americans have a negative impression of the economy and expect the effects of the recession to linger for years, according to a new CBS News poll.
Most also say President Obama has spent too little time on the economy, which Americans cite as the country's most important problem by a wide margin.

Three in four Americans now say the effects of the recession will last another two years or more. More than eight in 10 say the condition of the economy is bad, up five points from last month.

Just 25 percent of Americans say the economy is getting better - down from 41 percent in April. About half say it is staying the same, and the remaining quarter stay it is getting worse.

More than half of Americans - 52 percent - say Mr. Obama has spent too little time dealing with the economy.

And with unemployment near 10 percent, the economy is their priority: Thirty-eight percent volunteer it as the country's most important problem. That far outpaces the percentage that cited the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan (seven percent), health care (six percent), the deficit (five percent), and the oil spill in the Gulf (five percent).

The county's most important economic problem, Americans say, is jobs, volunteered by 38 percent of respondents. Coming in a distant second was the national debt, the deficit and spending, cited by 10 percent in the poll, which was conducted between July 9th and 12th.

Just 27 percent of Americans say their local job market is good. Seventy-one percent call it bad. Nearly one in four expect their household finances to get worse over the next year, twice the percentage that expects their finances to improve...

Yeah.....we need more tax-cuts...... :rolleyes:

"We can't grow our way out of this," Bowles said. "We could have decades of double-digit growth and not grow our way out of this enormous debt problem. We can't tax our way out. . . . The reality is we've got to do exactly what you all do every day as governors. We've got to cut spending or increase revenues or do some combination of that."

Bowles pointed to steps taken recently by the new coalition government in Britain, which also faces an acute budgetary problem, as a guide to what the commission might use in its recommendations. That would mean about three-quarters of the deficit reduction would be accomplished through spending cuts, and the remainder with additional revenue.

Most Republicans in Congress are opposed to any tax increases, which has made the work of the commission far more difficult. Bowles and Simpson appealed for support to the governors, who have been forced by their states' constitutions to balance their budgets with deep spending cuts and, in many cases, tax increases.

Bowles and Simpson said the commission would have had a stronger hand politically had it been created by Congress, rather than through an executive order. Simpson was pointed in his criticism of seven Republicans who once co-sponsored such a measure but who helped block it in the Senate.

"As far as I can discern, it was to stick it to the president," Simpson said. "That's where we are in Washington." He later added that all seven "have now come to us to say, 'We're ready to help.' "

HERE'S an appropriate spending-CUT!!!!!

August 27, 2009

"Just six years ago, Karl Rove thought he could lock up that "permanent Republican majority" by adding a prescription drug benefit to Medicare. Seniors -- at least the one who didn't get caught in the dreaded "donut hole" -- would be so impressed they'd vote GOP forever. All Republican policymakers had to do was approve a poorly-written bill that expanded government involvement in health care while adding trillion$ of dollar$ to long-term debt."

So, do you have a response to the OP or just wish to spin that it's all booosh?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you mean about most-Americans' IGNORANCE of economic-issues?????

"A majority of Americans have a negative impression of the economy and expect the effects of the recession to linger for years, according to a new CBS News poll.

Most also say President Obama has spent too little time on the economy, which Americans cite as the country's most important problem by a wide margin."

You really-do need to consider reading your cut-'n-pastes, beforehand....or, at-least, attempt to understand them.
389.gif

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.....you mean about most-Americans' IGNORANCE of economic-issues?????

"A majority of Americans have a negative impression of the economy and expect the effects of the recession to linger for years, according to a new CBS News poll.

Most also say President Obama has spent too little time on the economy, which Americans cite as the country's most important problem by a wide margin."

You really-do need to consider reading your cut-'n-pastes, beforehand....or, at-least, attempt to understand them.
389.gif

You sir, have a problem. I'll not make it mine. Did you see anything I wrote that absolved the previous administration from causative behavior? Nope. Just the fact that along with most Americans it's become obvious that this administration and Congress is not getting anything done for the people, who are distressed. Indeed, their energies are in moving their agenda along, at the expense of the people.

389.gif

Ya, explain how Obama and the democrats plan to cut the budget. According to your piece 3/4 of the deficit problem needs to be fixed with CUTS. So lets assume the Republicans never get on board with new taxes, 3/4 of the problem could be fixed with BUDGET CUTS. Which the Republicans WOULD agree with if only the democrats and Obama were interested.

389.gif

You sir, have a problem. I'll not make it mine. Did you see anything I wrote that absolved the previous administration from causative behavior? Nope. Just the fact that along with most Americans it's become obvious that this administration and Congress is not getting anything done for the people, who are distressed. Indeed, their energies are in moving their agenda along, at the expense of the people.

That's exactly what they're doing. And their activity in that regard increases the more they suffer bad poll numbers. Good thread Annie.

Have a great day!

~T

it is bad news now
Obama won't care a few tools on the left lose thier jobs.
He's slow rolling the stimulus that will bump the improving economy to full recovery by 2011 and get his ass reelected in 12.

it is bad news now
Obama won't care a few tools on the left lose thier jobs.
He's slow rolling the stimulus that will bump the improving economy to full recovery by 2011 and get his ass reelected in 12.

So true about his not caring about jobs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/opinion/13brooks.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

An Economy of Grinds
By DAVID BROOKS
If you go to business conferences, you know that at lunch it is definitely better to be seated next to a prince than a grind. Princes, who can be male or female, are senior executives at major corporations.

They are almost always charming, smart and impressive. They’ve read interesting books. They’ve got well-rehearsed takes on the global situation. They can drop impressive names as they tell you about their visits to the White House, Moscow or Beijing. If you’re having lunch or dinner with a prince, you’re going to have a good time.

Grinds, on the other hand, tend to have started their own company or their own hedge fund. They’re often too awkward to work in a large organization and too intense to work for anybody but themselves...

In finance, as in other realms of business life, social polish doesn’t always go with capitalist success. Often it is the most narrow, intense, awkward people who start the best companies, employ the most people and create the most value.

Sadly, this recovery has been great for princes and horrible for grinds. The people who work at the big corporations are critical of the Obama administration, but the fact is they are doing very well. The big companies are posting excellent earnings. They’re sitting on mountains of cash.

The aspiring grinds, meanwhile, are dead in the water. Small businesses are not growing. They are not hiring. They are struggling to stay alive...

Sadly, this recovery has been great for princes and horrible for grinds. The people who work at the big corporations are critical of the Obama administration, but the fact is they are doing very well. The big companies are posting excellent earnings. They’re sitting on mountains of cash.

The aspiring grinds, meanwhile, are dead in the water. Small businesses are not growing. They are not hiring. They are struggling to stay alive...

I'm one of those sm biz people Annie

in fact, right now i need a pillow to be able to post

and yeah, you're right in that Obama doesn't care about us

but niether did his predeseccor, nor will his successor care any more or less

they have, and will ,bow to the corporatism that grants them their position

the partisanship that blinds people to this simply fuels the phenomenon

~S~

I basically agree.

The economy isn't in any kind of meaningful recovery.

I don't think it would be if we cut taxes (more than Obama already has via the TARP), and I don't think it will be if we have another stimulus structured like Obama structured the last one, either.

I think they haven't fixed this economy because they don't know how.

I think they don't know how because they don't know (or cannot admit to themselves, maybe) what's really at the heart of this depression.

We declared war on the working classes in America a long long time ago.

We're reaping the bitter fruit of those classist policies right now.

The middle class cannot spend us out of recession it's in economic trouble.

It is in trouble because we forgot that our economy depends on a relatively affluent middle class that has disposable income.

We supported tax and trade policies which allowed our neighbors to become redundant.

Unemployed and under employed people do not have disposable income.

They cannot save and they cannot spend, either.

They cannot help pay our tax bills, and they become a burden on the commonweal.

For years I've been reading some of you modestly affluent people (or people pretending to be, at least) telling me that those unempliyed and underemployed people did NOT matter.

Turns out that their fate and ours are linked in ways most of us didn't see.

If your neighbors are getting poorer, SO ARE YOU.

Indifference to the fate of your neighbors is another kind of HUBRIS, folks.

Greed is NOT good.

Greed is a sign of a diseased mind.

When enough people buy into a big fat lie, bad things happen to that society.

Last edited:

389.gif

Im laughing...........it would appear very clear that your opinion is irrelevant s0n!!!!:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

13% !!!!!!!!

CBS News Poll: 7/13/10 - CBS News

IDK but where I come from, 13% is pretty damn sh!tty. Its only a power # in the land of the k00ks.

But go right ahead posting up the monster opinions that resonate with virtually nobody!!! THATS how k00k labels get applied on our society.........when the opinions are at the fringe of the mean.

But hey..........all is not lost. You always got that bike of your girls to go sit on and get some pics snapped s0n...........:lol:

Last edited:

~S~

Agreed. The problem is obvious. The parties are pretty much in it for themselves...that is evident in the results thusfar. The solution is for Government to get out of the way and the people to wrest that control back to themselves.

November will be a big test to see how badly the people are fed up and want to get back that control.

~S~

Agreed. The problem is obvious. The parties are pretty much in it for themselves...that is evident in the results thusfar. The solution is for Government to get out of the way and the people to wrest that control back to themselves.

November will be a big test to see how badly the people are fed up and want to get back that control.

I think the trends seen on boards is not all that different than what is happening 'out there', but here is more visible. The 'conservatives' are moving towards libertarian thinking/spouting candidates. The moderate democrats are moving towards fiscal conservatives. All these folks are now showing up as 'independents' in the polling. That is the bloc that will decide the results in November.

~S~

Well i'm a tad more cynical T

November looks like the usual partisan fest redux

you see, i don't believe we really have a two party system

i believe (and yes, i have to call it a belief, although it can be debated) that we've evolved into the the $$$ party cloaked in the illusion of a two party system

see, voter apathy is just as much the penchant of those aware, as it is often attributed to the ignorant unwashed

~S~

Forum List

Back