And to go along with those increased daeth benefits...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><h1><a href=http://www.newamericancentury.org/defense-20050128.htm>It's getting a bit drafty...</a></h1></center>

On Friday, January 28th, the Project for a New American Century...you remember them, they were the architects of Dubbyuh's foreign policy, sent a letter to Bill Frist, Harry Reid, Denny Hasturt and Nanccy Pelosi. This breezy little missive oulines the necessity for increasing troop levels in Iraq, and elsewhere, as well as the means for meeting those needs. That being Article 1, Section 8 of the US Constitution. In other words, a draft.

Now, Dubbyuh explicitly stated that there would be no draft. But in the FY 2004 budget, there was an additional $28 million appropriated to fill all 10,350 draft board and 11,070 appeals board positions. Also, some 63% of the Army's combat force are tied up in potential, or actual, combat zones around the world, this includes Afghanistan and Iraq. This leaves US ground forces grossly overextended, and such long term operational commitments are sustainable only if there are about twice as many troops in the pipeline for rotation to the field. This leaves the US forces about 125,000 soldiers short. Also, the US and Canada signed a "Smart Border Declaration", which would make it more difficult for draft dodgers to seek refuge in Canada. With these items, as well as PNAC's cheery little note, it becomes apparent that Dubbyuh is set to break his campaign pledge about no draft without a thought.

So, keep your children close, because they'll soon be wearing dogtags, and sent off to die simply because Dubbyuh says so.

Pay attention pulit, read my thread "Draft or no draft". It's the same thing, only spelled out without your liberal spin.

Let me start by saying I was in the military when the draft was in full swing. I currently have two sons in the Army and a third who did 6 in the Navy and got out.

While a draft certainly does put manpower in place it makes for a lousy military. the all volunteer force we have today is far, far better trained and motivated than the Army we had in the 60's and 70's.

Finally, the last sentence in Bully's post reminds me very much of the attitude of many people at the end of the Vietnam war...the implication that our service men and woman are turned into some kind of mindless killing robot that will only be stopped when they are killed by the enemy. The implication that military service is somehow beneath the dignity of any reasoning human being and borders on the criminal. The implication that soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines are somehow second class citizens and deserving of derision or pity. I reject all those implications...and resent them.

Why are Americans afraid of mandatory military service? Just about everywhere else on earth requires at least two years of service around the age of eighteen by everyone.

Just another bullshit thread by Bully though, i'm asahamed to post in it. What makes it bullshit is the last line in his post, utter rambling of an insane and confused mind.

Forum List

Back