And they say it can't happen in America...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
<center><a href=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20430153/><h1><font color=red>Iraq fraud whistleblowers vilified...</font></h1></a></center>

...They get demoted...they get subjected to detention and interrogation techniques reserved for "enemy combatants". As in the case of Donald Vance, a Navy veteran who had the temerity to report illegal arms sales to the FBI. For his actions, "...he was imprisoned by the American military in a security compound outside Baghdad and subjected to harsh interrogation methods."

Such is the plight of those acting in good faith to uproot the fraud, waste and abuse which have plagued the reconstruction of Iraq since day one. It also gives lie to any claims of the Bush administration that it will not tolerate waste,fraud or abuse on the part of US contractors in Iraq.

And then there was Bunnatine Greenhouse. She testified before congress in 2005 regarding billions of dollars of fraud in the rebuilding contracts awarded to Haliburton and KBR. Soon afterwards, she was demoted to a position of no authority after an otherwise spotless career and having been "...he highest-ranking civilian contracting officer in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers...".

And then there was the case of Julie McBride, who testified that,

<blockquote>"...as a &#8220;morale, welfare and recreation coordinator&#8221; at Camp Fallujah, she saw KBR exaggerate costs by double- and triple-counting the number of soldiers who used recreational facilities.

She also said the company took supplies destined for a Super Bowl party for U.S. troops and instead used them to stage a celebration for themselves."</blockquote>

Callous enough behavior on the part of her employers, but then,

<blockquote>&#8220;After I voiced my concerns about what I believed to be accounting fraud, Halliburton placed me under guard and kept me in seclusion,&#8221; she told the committee. &#8220;My property was searched, and I was specifically told that I was not allowed to speak to any member of the U.S. military. I remained under guard until I was flown out of the country.&#8221;</blockquote>

It should be noted that the Bush administration, via the DoJ has failed to sign on to ANY of the whistle-blower suits filed. But that's understandable given the close economic, political and personal ties the White House has with a number of the contractors mentioned in those suits. Rather than deal, and harshly, with the perpetrators of these frauds the Bush administration seems content to ignore their transgressions and punish those who would reveal those transgression.

If there was ever a need for war profiteers to be brought to justice, this and other such cases, are but the tip of the iceberg. These profiteers MUST be held accountable. Their actions have done more than rob the tax-payer of money. They have damaged the moral and even the health and safety of the men and women serving in our armed forces.

Seig heil, y'all.

(P.S. Click on the head-line to link to the story the quotes are sourced from.)

I am pretty amazed at how many arent upset over these private companies mis-using and wasting tax payer dollars. Instead we seem to become hostile at anyone who IS upset or who reveals the truths. Ah well, we can just declare them enemy combatants or come up with yet another new title for em to avoid any pesky laws or rights they may have.

and if your in charge of air defence and 4 airliners are hijacked and used as weapons of terror with no action from air defence ...you get a big promotion
or if you out CIA agents...you get pardoned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
oh ya and this....

The Pentagon. (AP)

"How do we know we need $48 billion since we don't know what we're spending and what we're buying?"
Retired Vice Admiral Jack Shanahan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(CBS) On Sept. 10, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared war. Not on foreign terrorists, "the adversary's closer to home. It's the Pentagon bureaucracy," he said.

He said money wasted by the military poses a serious threat.

"In fact, it could be said it's a matter of life and death," he said.

Rumsfeld promised change but the next day – Sept. 11-- the world changed and in the rush to fund the war on terrorism, the war on waste seems to have been forgotten.

Just last week President Bush announced, "my 2003 budget calls for more than $48 billion in new defense spending."

More money for the Pentagon, CBS News Correspondent Vince Gonzales reports, while its own auditors admit the military cannot account for 25 percent of what it spends.

"According to some estimates we cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions," Rumsfeld admitted.

$2.3 trillion — that's $8,000 for every man, woman and child in America. To understand how the Pentagon can lose track of trillions, consider the case of one military accountant who tried to find out what happened to a mere $300 million.

"We know it's gone. But we don't know what they spent it on," said Jim Minnery, Defense Finance and Accounting Service.

Minnery, a former Marine turned whistle-blower, is risking his job by speaking out for the first time about the millions he noticed were missing from one defense agency's balance sheets. Minnery tried to follow the money trail, even crisscrossing the country looking for records.

"The director looked at me and said 'Why do you care about this stuff?' It took me aback, you know? My supervisor asking me why I care about doing a good job," said Minnery.

He was reassigned and says officials then covered up the problem by just writing it off.

"They have to cover it up," he said. "That's where the corruption comes in. They have to cover up the fact that they can't do the job."

The Pentagon's Inspector General "partially substantiated" several of Minnery's allegations but could not prove officials tried "to manipulate the financial statements."

Twenty years ago, Department of Defense Analyst Franklin C. Spinney made headlines exposing what he calls the "accounting games." He's still there, and although he does not speak for the Pentagon, he believes the problem has gotten worse.

"Those numbers are pie in the sky. The books are cooked routinely year after year," he said.

Another critic of Pentagon waste, Retired Vice Admiral Jack Shanahan, commanded the Navy's 2nd Fleet the first time Donald Rumsfeld served as Defense Secretary, in 1976.

In his opinion, "With good financial oversight we could find $48 billion in loose change in that building, without having to hit the taxpayers

On the other site I posted this article and you show go see how the people reacted.

They scambled all over the place to support the Idea of punishing these people for tryin to out fraud.

I have never seen victims of thieft praise their perpitrator with such glowing terms and insulting the guy who was walking by for calling the police.

Some in this country are so lost they couldnt find their eyelids even with their eyes closed which they so obviously are.

On the other site I posted this article and you show go see how the people reacted.

They scambled all over the place to support the Idea of punishing these people for tryin to out fraud.

I have never seen victims of thieft praise their perpitrator with such glowing terms and insulting the guy who was walking by for calling the police.

Some in this country are so lost they couldnt find their eyelids even with their eyes closed which they so obviously are.

Have you ever seen manufactured consent? They would be exhibit A!

It is very distressing to see Americans so fricking confused about what is right and what is wrong.

I just cant for the life of me understand how these peoples minds got so bent and why they refuse to face the depths to which they have allowed to be manipulated.

It boggles the mind

this is bullsh*t.

Whistleblowers who expose fraud on behalf of american taxpayers, should be given a medal. Not fired, abused, or thrown in jail.

Fuck me runnin'. My head didn't explode but I had to work really hard not to take a hammer to my monitor.

Now, now, Bully. Calm down! :eusa_hand:

Doncha know all of this money will "trickle-down" to all those limbless Vets - who most probably voted Republican - living in cardboard lean-to's, so they can now dine only year-old use-by-date food at those Soul-trap soup kitchens run by the Christians who sent them off to war!

M-m-m...mmm! Dont ya just love those donated stale meat pies, dehydrated mashed potatoes, and frozen peas, all cold of course, that these obviously sinful useless eaters get regally regaled with! :eusa_drool: :eusa_drool: :eusa_drool:

Now, now, Bully. Calm down! :eusa_hand:

Doncha know all of this money will "trickle-down" to all those limbless Vets - who most probably voted Republican - living in cardboard lean-to's, so they can now dine only year-old use-by-date food at those Soul-trap soup kitchens run by the Christians who sent them off to war!

M-m-m...mmm! Dont ya just love those donated stale meat pies, dehydrated mashed potatoes, and frozen peas, all cold of course, that these obviously sinful useless eaters get regally regaled with! :eusa_drool: :eusa_drool: :eusa_drool:

The only trickling down here is the shit the Bush administration rolls down the hill on a daily basis.

Forum List

Back