And stupidity reigns supreme again

DiamondDave

Army Vet
Jun 30, 2008
MD, on the Potomac River
State to mom: Stop baby-sitting neighbors' kids - Yahoo! News

I mean c'mon.. this is common sense... Hell, in my neighborhood we have the same thing. I leave for work at 0645 and my neighbor has my daughter hang out there, after she eats breakfast and all at my house, until the bus picks her and all the other kids up at 0755. It's not a daycare. It's not for profit. It is people in a neighborhood looking out for each other of their own free will and out of the goodness of their hearts.

Another example of government being too big and into too many aspects of people's every day lives

I'd like to find the concerned neighbor who filed the complaint

This happened near where i live. Everyone's having a fit over it! If the woman isn't getting paid to watch the kids, then it's not daycare!! Nobody is getting paid for it, they're just helping eachother out...sooooo stupid!

I'm betting the neighbor wasn't a conservative.

You might be right..

But then again there are the "stay off my lawn" Conservatives

And the ever favorite "rules are rules" Conservatives

Actually Rules are rules conservatives would have a fit over this as she is not paid and thus does not fall under the definition of a Daycare Business.

Just saying ;).

This happened near where i live. Everyone's having a fit over it! If the woman isn't getting paid to watch the kids, then it's not daycare!! Nobody is getting paid for it, they're just helping eachother out...sooooo stupid!

It is stupid. That would be like me helping my friend change his brakes in his driveway then the state fining him for running an auto repair shop on residential property and then taxing me for helping him.

After reading this, the only thing that comes to mind besides the the original thread title, is someone in Govt. had a lot of time on his or hands to craft this meaningful legislation in Michigan (I'm being sarcastic). So if you cannot take care of them in your home, perhaps when it's 20 below zero they would rather have the kids stand in the neighbors garage rather than in a home in order to satisfy this legislative pile of crap. Perhaps the woman in the story should apply for some stimulus money to start a daycare business in her home that operates 2 hours a day, now thats a good use of our tax dollars don't you think? Then again it does satisfy someone in Govt. someplace. To my friends in Mi. perhaps even the best thing to do is find the original legislations author and perhaps find them another job at the ballot box.

State to mom: Stop baby-sitting neighbors' kids - Yahoo! News

I mean c'mon.. this is common sense... Hell, in my neighborhood we have the same thing. I leave for work at 0645 and my neighbor has my daughter hang out there, after she eats breakfast and all at my house, until the bus picks her and all the other kids up at 0755. It's not a daycare. It's not for profit. It is people in a neighborhood looking out for each other of their own free will and out of the goodness of their hearts.

Another example of government being too big and into too many aspects of people's every day lives

Of course it will never be made public (part of the story), but this appears to be the result of someone else making a formal complaint to the authorities. Otherwise, why would they just "show up"?? There's more going on here than meets the eye I'll bet.

I'd like to find the concerned neighbor who filed the complaint

I should have kept reading, because that's my thought exactly. Someone's either got it in for Mrs. Snyder or the parent(s) of the kids.

Now that would make sense.

Like I said it would be like me changing my neighbors oil in my driveway for free then having the state fine me for operating an Auto Repair business on residential property.

Put this lady on O'Rielly. He loves to champion against stupidity. My husband thinks there has to be more to this story. I'm not too sure.

There may be more, but if there isn't, yeah, this is really dumb.

Reminds me of a local story. Kids were selling lemonade. A neighbor complained (why I have no clue). police came and told the kids they couldnt sell lemonade without a permit.

Don't you all love the nanny state?

This 'law' was likely put in to help some crony who had a day care business drum up money.

This kind of thing is a good example of why more government is never the answer.

I'm betting the neighbor wasn't a conservative.

You might be right..

But then again there are the "stay off my lawn" Conservatives

And the ever favorite "rules are rules" Conservatives

I may be one of those "stay off my lawn" types. My land has posted signs every 150 foot, I dare someone to trespass. If my rhodesian ridgeback don't get 'em, my 12 gauge will.

That's fucking ridiculous.

Under state law, no one may care for unrelated children in their home for more than four weeks each calendar year unless they are licensed day-care providers.

But there is a loophole. Assuming that the above quote is the law verbatim, 4 weeks is 672 hours.

If she is caring for them 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year, that is only 400 hours.

So she should be able to continue.

Forum List

Back