...And on top of everything marijuana is now legal in Washington State

So, this sounds like good news. Until you read quotes like ...

Whadya bet they outlaw personal cultivation? Profits must prevail!!

You get a leap forward and people still aren't happy. Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure it is a leap forward, in net...

The practice of discriminatory taxation to manipulate society is, in my view, a far more fundamental problem with our government than the drug war - though both are serious. Everytime I hear statists chime in with their 'regulate it and tax it' line, I cringe. Regulate and tax this! (oh, nevermind, PPACA already is taking care of that.)
You might be quite surprised to learn just how much marijuana prohibition has cost us over the years. Give some thought to the expense involved in arresting, prosecuting, and punishing someone for doing something which harms absolutely no one.

In the end the tax on legal marijuana saves us all money.

Last edited:
QUOTE=dblack;6299125]
I'm ok with gays getting married as long as they are heavily taxed for the privilege. We can't go around giving people anything for free now can we?

Sure, as long as those taxes are leveraged the same as everyone else. :)

But do you get his point? An activity should either be legal - and government should be protecting our right to do it and NOT impeding it. Or, it should be illegal outright. This practice we've adopted of allowing questionable activity as long as we get to control it and have a piece of the action is deeply hypocritical and undermines the rule of law.
Legalizing marijuana without imposing some level of regulation to control distribution and product purity calls for bureaucratic oversight, which requires taxation to support. This regulation is necessary to keep marijuana out of the hands of children and to prevent the sale of contaminated products.

It looks like our state marijuana bill here in Washington State which completely legalizes it at the state level is going to pass tonight. If I'm not mistaken we're the first state to do this. Also, our gay marriage bill passed tonight. :clap2:

Washington voters have voted to legalize recreational use of marijuana.

Initiative 502 held a commanding lead in initial vote counts, with overwhelming support in King County, and the measure was passing in other urban Puget Sound counties Pierce, Spokane and other counties.

One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.

Marijuana legalization was passed in Colorado, based on an analysis by the Associated Press.

Neither state measure affects the federal ban on marijuana, creating a conflict that could potentially be resolved in court.

Voters agree to legalize pot | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times
2012 Washington state election results | Politics | The Seattle Times

yea good luck with that.....Obama said he would not interfere with Medical Pot .....yet there is the Feds raiding shops.....

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. [...]
Why?

Same reason I don't like drinking, or smoking as a whole.

Also its medical benefits are a result of clinical concentrations of substances derived from cannabis, not the actual smoking cannabis. So that argument isn't really all that steady either.

Nevertheless, it is their opinion and if that's what they want, I don't mind.

yea tell that to a Cancer person who SAYS there is a difference ......

Also its medical benefits are a result of clinical concentrations of substances derived from cannabis, not the actual smoking cannabis. So that argument isn't really all that steady either.

Feeling better and actually being better are two very, VERY, different things. You can give Novocaine to a person who feels pain, but that doesn't mean the problem is gone.

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. [...]
Why?

Because who the hell wants to walk down the street knowing that half the people are stoners?

If they're walking and not driving a car or operating machinery, they are responsible stoners.

I can dig that.

I don't smoke pot, but I get that it comes from the earth, and has far less negative side-effects than legal smoking and drinking.

It looks like our state marijuana bill here in Washington State which completely legalizes it at the state level is going to pass tonight. If I'm not mistaken we're the first state to do this. Also, our gay marriage bill passed tonight. :clap2:

Washington voters have voted to legalize recreational use of marijuana.

Initiative 502 held a commanding lead in initial vote counts, with overwhelming support in King County, and the measure was passing in other urban Puget Sound counties Pierce, Spokane and other counties.

One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.

Marijuana legalization was passed in Colorado, based on an analysis by the Associated Press.

Neither state measure affects the federal ban on marijuana, creating a conflict that could potentially be resolved in court.

Voters agree to legalize pot | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times
2012 Washington state election results | Politics | The Seattle Times

Way to go Washington State.

1 down 49 to go.

its just about legal in California.....i can have up to an Ounce on me with no problem.....Cops i have talked to said just dont be driving and dont flaunt it in public and your fine.....

Soon drugs will be legal everywhere. We are a nation of drug addicted degenerates, we make our livings preying on one another. Four years ago it was joked that we'd have an economy based on flipping one another's burgers and cutting one another's hair. That's too ambitious today. The economy will be mugging one another and robbing one another's homes.

yea those dam Prescription drugs can fuck you up.....

There is some serious DUI issues in the bill as well as a 25% tax. Plus there's no wording on growing and there's some vague things in the bill I found frightening. Right now with it having a quasi-legal status the black market has gone fairly public here in Seattle resulting in a golden age on the cannabis market here. With it going legal and heavily taxed I fear the golden age of the market in Seattle right now will slowly die away in the next few years. Still pretty cool to have marijuana legal in the state and soon there'll be cannabis stores and markets.

Well, my wife and I voted yes on our marijuana bill. It didn't pass but we really didn't care either way. Voting "yes" just seemed like the fun thing to do today :) I'm pleased to hear that they have covered the driving while under the influence thing. Gratz on you're presidential win BTW, may it bring some much need prosperity to all of us.

How did they "cover" the DUI thing? I'm all in favor, but thought there is STILL no way to test how influenced by marijuana a driver actually is......

some people Frankie you would never know......

Feeling better and actually being better are two very, VERY, different things. You can give Novocaine to a person who feels pain, but that doesn't mean the problem is gone.
no one said it is going to make him better.....its used to alleviate symptoms....and the ones with the Cancer that i have talked too says SMOKING it works better than the Chemical pill substitute that they made in the lab ......if a person has a horrible Disease and smoking a joint makes that person feel better.....why would anybody care if he is using pot?......

That's exactly what it's like up in Vancouver, BC. And the thousands of homeless people all seem to have weed too.
First, the word, "stoner," is nondescript. So please be more specific about what you mean. And are you talking about the entire city of Vancouver or just certain depressed areas?

Re: the homeless population, that is a social problem -- not a marijuana problem. And if you're inclined to believe marijuana is somehow responsible for the homelessness, or somehow associated with it, consider The Netherlands example where marijuana is decriminalized and readily available to the adult population. Homelessness is virtually non-existent there.

Up in Washington I sure hope that they at least fine the hell out of stoned drivers.
I agree. DUI is a serious offense and should be dealt with severely.

Even the Netherlands doesn't want to feed their drug addicted homeless anymore.
This argument is raised from time to time by the more conservative elements in the Dutch government. But as the narrator in the video explained, kicking all those unemployable social misfits out of the treatment shelters and onto the streets will ultimately end up costing more in law enforcement expenses.

Many if not most of the homeless misfits on the streets of The Netherlands or the U.S. are mentally defective -- or "crazy," in simpler terms. One of Ronald Reagan's more destructive actions was to close dozens of federally funded or subsidized mental institutions, dumping those inmates who had no families to absorb them onto the streets, vastly increasing the Nation's homeless population.

The majority of homeless drug addicts are mentally defective. But contrary to what many believe, these people are not crazy and homeless because they are heavily addicted to drugs. The fact is they are heavily addicted to drugs because they are crazy and homeless.

The bottom line is there are only three alternatives where such social misfits are concerned:

1) Shelter and feed them.

2) Turn them out onto the streets.

3) Exterminate them.

What is the best choice for a civilized society?

New Topics

Forum List

Back