...And on top of everything marijuana is now legal in Washington State

I want to clarify something. I'm against legalization unless it has plenty of regulation and taxation on it. I want to see that the money is going to useful things too, like NASA or education.
Of course there will be taxation, but excessive taxation will counterproductively encourage continued bootlegging. And of course the politicians will promise to do all the things you're asking for, and more. But what they actually do is a separate issue.

First things first.

So, this sounds like good news. Until you read quotes like ...

One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.

Whadya bet they outlaw personal cultivation? Profits must prevail!!

I want to clarify something. I'm against legalization unless it has plenty of regulation and taxation on it. I want to see that the money is going to useful things too, like NASA or education.
Of course there will be taxation, but excessive taxation will counterproductively encourage continued bootlegging. And of course the politicians will promise to do all the things you're asking for, and more. But what they actually do is a separate issue.

First things first.

Eh, not excessive. Just proper taxation.

One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.

You get a leap forward and people still aren't happy. Jesus Christ.

So now the Gays that get married in Washington can smoke weed at the wedding while the preacher read the vows?

Gotta love Sodom and America :clap2:

There is some serious DUI issues in the bill as well as a 25% tax. Plus there's no wording on growing and there's some vague things in the bill I found frightening. Right now with it having a quasi-legal status the black market has gone fairly public here in Seattle resulting in a golden age on the cannabis market here. With it going legal and heavily taxed I fear the golden age of the market in Seattle right now will slowly die away in the next few years. Still pretty cool to have marijuana legal in the state and soon there'll be cannabis stores and markets.

Well, my wife and I voted yes on our marijuana bill. It didn't pass but we really didn't care either way. Voting "yes" just seemed like the fun thing to do today :) I'm pleased to hear that they have covered the driving while under the influence thing. Gratz on you're presidential win BTW, may it bring some much need prosperity to all of us.

My one hope is that they institute proper regulations and taxes.

That was the entire purpose behind it.

You get a leap forward and people still aren't happy. Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure it is a leap forward, in net...

The practice of discriminatory taxation to manipulate society is, in my view, a far more fundamental problem with our government than the drug war - though both are serious. Everytime I hear statists chime in with their 'regulate it and tax it' line, I cringe. Regulate and tax this! (oh, nevermind, PPACA already is taking care of that.)

The only thing about the gay marriage bill is I wish it had a clause that now that you have equal rights you can't have your Act Out or Gay Pride Parades anymore. Those are some sick stuff. I know gays that even stay away from those.

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. But the gay marriage thing is awesome!

It's already widely used recreationally, but now law enforcement and criminal justice systems in your state will be able to focus their efforts on violent offenders...which, considering things in Washington state right now, will likely be a good thing.

The only thing about the gay marriage bill is I wish it had a clause that now that you have equal rights you can't have your Act Out or Gay Pride Parades anymore. Those are some sick stuff. I know gays that even stay away from those.

Damn, that stupid pesky First Amendment. We should just trash it. :mad:

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. But the gay marriage thing is awesome!

It's already widely used recreationally, but now law enforcement and criminal justice systems in your state will be able to focus their efforts on violent offenders...which, considering things in Washington state right now, will likely be a good thing.

I'm in LA County, California. It's already pretty much legal here.

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. [...]
Why?

Same reason I don't like drinking, or smoking as a whole.

The question is -- do you like the prohibition? Making drugs illegal creates all sort of problems, starting with organized crime -- just as the prohibition did. And yes, you have to enjoy these responsibly, be it beer or weed.

Same reason I don't like drinking, or smoking as a whole.

The question is -- do you like the prohibition? Making drugs illegal creates all sort of problems, starting with organized crime -- just as the prohibition did. And yes, you have to enjoy these responsibly, be it beer or weed.

I wish it was possible, but I know historically it is not. Nor do I wish to impose my own personal opinion as law on other people.

So yes, I can be against it and for it at the same time.

I thought that is exactly the point of legalization (unlike decriminalization). Drugs should be regulated the same way we regulate alcohol and tobacco.

I'm ok with gays getting married as long as they are heavily taxed for the privilege. We can't go around giving people anything for free now can we?

Sure, as long as those taxes are leveraged the same as everyone else. :)

But do you get his point? An activity should either be legal - and government should be protecting our right to do it and NOT impeding it. Or, it should be illegal outright. This practice we've adopted of allowing questionable activity as long as we get to control it and have a piece of the action is deeply hypocritical and undermines the rule of law.

Forum List

Back