...And on top of everything marijuana is now legal in Washington State

BallsBrunswick

Fair and Balanced
Sep 23, 2012
Spoiler Alert: They're all crazy
It looks like our state marijuana bill here in Washington State which completely legalizes it at the state level is going to pass tonight. If I'm not mistaken we're the first state to do this. Also, our gay marriage bill passed tonight. :clap2:

Washington voters have voted to legalize recreational use of marijuana.

Initiative 502 held a commanding lead in initial vote counts, with overwhelming support in King County, and the measure was passing in other urban Puget Sound counties Pierce, Spokane and other counties.

One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.

Marijuana legalization was passed in Colorado, based on an analysis by the Associated Press.

Neither state measure affects the federal ban on marijuana, creating a conflict that could potentially be resolved in court.

Voters agree to legalize pot | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times
2012 Washington state election results | Politics | The Seattle Times

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. [...]
Why?

Same reason I don't like drinking, or smoking as a whole.

Also its medical benefits are a result of clinical concentrations of substances derived from cannabis, not the actual smoking cannabis. So that argument isn't really all that steady either.

Nevertheless, it is their opinion and if that's what they want, I don't mind.

Last edited:
It looks like our state marijuana bill here in Washington State which completely legalizes it at the state level is going to pass tonight. If I'm not mistaken we're the first state to do this. Also, our gay marriage bill passed tonight. :clap2:

Initiative 502 held a commanding lead in initial vote counts, with overwhelming support in King County, and the measure was passing in other urban Puget Sound counties Pierce, Spokane and other counties.

One ounce of marijuana will be legal as of Dec. 6, and the state will begin a year-long process of creating a closed, tightly regulated and heavily taxed market for recreational marijuana sales at state-licensed retail shops.

Marijuana legalization was passed in Colorado, based on an analysis by the Associated Press.

Neither state measure affects the federal ban on marijuana, creating a conflict that could potentially be resolved in court.

I heard it passed in CO also.

I don't really like the idea of the drug for recreational use being allowed. [...]
Why?

Because who the hell wants to walk down the street knowing that half the people are stoners?

That's exactly what it's like up in Vancouver, BC. And the thousands of homeless people all seem to have weed too. ~shrug~

Up in Washington I sure hope that they at least fine the hell out of stoned drivers.

There is some serious DUI issues in the bill as well as a 25% tax. Plus there's no wording on growing and there's some vague things in the bill I found frightening. Right now with it having a quasi-legal status the black market has gone fairly public here in Seattle resulting in a golden age on the cannabis market here. With it going legal and heavily taxed I fear the golden age of the market in Seattle right now will slowly die away in the next few years. Still pretty cool to have marijuana legal in the state and soon there'll be cannabis stores and markets.

There is some serious DUI issues in the bill as well as a 25% tax. Plus there's no wording on growing and there's some vague things in the bill I found frightening. Right now with it having a quasi-legal status the black market has gone fairly public here in Seattle resulting in a golden age on the cannabis market here. With it going legal and heavily taxed I fear the golden age of the market in Seattle right now will slowly die away in the next few years. Still pretty cool to have marijuana legal in the state and soon there'll be cannabis stores and markets.

Well, my wife and I voted yes on our marijuana bill. It didn't pass but we really didn't care either way. Voting "yes" just seemed like the fun thing to do today :) I'm pleased to hear that they have covered the driving while under the influence thing. Gratz on you're presidential win BTW, may it bring some much need prosperity to all of us.

Well, my wife and I voted yes on our marijuana bill. It didn't pass but we really didn't care either way. Voting "yes" just seemed like the fun thing to do today :) I'm pleased to hear that they have covered the driving while under the influence thing. Gratz on you're presidential win BTW, may it bring some much need prosperity to all of us.

My one hope is that they institute proper regulations and taxes.

You're a good guy my friend. Our politics may be a little different but the conversations are cool. I hope I don't come across disrespectful to the people on this site who actually want to talk about politics respectfully which I definitely consider you to be one of those.

Pot is less harmful than booze.

I don't do either.

I do like chocolate.

Way to go Washington State.

1 down 49 to go.

Why?

Marijuana prohibition has been absolutely ineffective in terms of discouraging its use. All prohibition has done and is capable of doing is to facilitate the cartels and foster official corruption.

Also its medical benefits are a result of clinical concentrations of substances derived from cannabis, not the actual smoking cannabis. So that argument isn't really all that steady either.
This is an important issue and I'm glad you raised it.

Smoking is not the only way to use marijuana, nor is it the best way. The reason it is the most common way is prohibition impedes dissemination of public recommendation and education in the methods of cooking and baking with marijuana. Also, the cost of bootleg marijuana makes cooking with it impractical because much more plant material is needed to derive the base component, which is a buttery substance ("pot butter").

When marijuana becomes legally available the price will come down, purity of product will improve, and there will be all sorts of edible marijuana products available. In time, smoking it will become passè, because the effect of eating cannabis is much more pleasing and is longer-lasting than smoking it.

One major effect of marijuana prohibition has been the stigma associated with it, which apparently has colored the perception of otherwise reasonable individuals, such as yourself.

For a number of reasons, legalization of marijuana ultimately will benefit everyone but the traffickers, corrupt officials, and the prison industry.

Marijuana prohibition has been absolutely ineffective in terms of discouraging its use. All prohibition has done and is capable of doing is to facilitate the cartels and foster official corruption.

This is an important issue and I'm glad you raised it.

Smoking is not the only way to use marijuana, nor is it the best way. The reason it is the most common way is prohibition impedes dissemination of public recommendation and education in the methods of cooking and baking with marijuana. Also, the cost of bootleg marijuana makes cooking with it impractical because much more plant material is needed to derive the base component, which is a buttery substance ("pot butter").

When marijuana becomes legally available the price will come down, purity of product will improve, and there will be all sorts of edible marijuana products available. In time, smoking it will become passè, because the effect of eating cannabis is much more pleasing and is longer-lasting than smoking it.

One major effect of marijuana prohibition has been the stigma associated with it, which apparently has colored the perception of otherwise reasonable individuals, such as yourself.

For a number of reasons, legalization of marijuana ultimately will benefit everyone but the traffickers, corrupt officials, and the prison industry.

I want to clarify something. I'm against legalization unless it has plenty of regulation and taxation on it. I want to see that the money is going to useful things too, like NASA or education.

NFL to players in Colorado and Washington: Pot is still a problem | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

If you're into loco weed, you happen to play for a team in Colorado or Washington state, and you think that the bills passed on Tuesday that allow the possession and use of marijuana apply to you ... well, you might want to check on that. According to the NFL, there's state law and the league's collective bargaining agreement, and players should expect to heed the latter if there's a dispute.

Forum List

Back