And on that note (Old Lady) of banning words

Not to ban, but what one word drives you batshit?

One word for me. Just one. And it bugs me to even type it. Yes, for real. It BUGS me. But..I gotta tell y'all so you can make sure to use it to irritate me (which means iggie for you if you do :D)

Cum.

I LOATHE that word. It sounds gross. It is gross. Semen, juice, whatever you wanna call it..just don't say the one I typed up there ^. Yuck.

So....which word for you?

Ah feel your pain. That's just a stoopid stoopid spelling. Wasn't necessary.

For me it would be *****. There, didn't have to type it but it's what Donald Rump grabs women by. Just sounds so contemptuous, because it is. I'd rather use OL's word but if I typed that it would just come out ****.

Ain't it weird that all these disgraced words have to do with s*x, yet we can type "kill" and "shoot" and "maim" and "destroy" all we like.
I object to C*NT and its new equivalent f-h because of what it means. I'm not so great at articulating this stuff, but I found someone who put it pretty well:

Misogynists call women c*nts when they are trying...to put us back in our place, trying to remind us that what our identity boils down to is: our c*nt...so when a man calls me a c*nt, I know what he is saying: Know your worth — you are nothing. You are here for no other reason than for me to use. So lie down and shut up...
Glennon Doyle

One of the things about USMB I don't get is the silent, echoing halls when I float the idea of general respect for women. My f-h thread wasn't spurred by someone once again calling me a name. It was someone using a label to denigrate ALL women who have "stepped out of line" throughout history. Jesus.

Viewing women as sexual objects is so deeply embedded in our culture, so much part of our fabric, that even women can't see it.

In answer to Gracie's question, I can't think of a pet peeve word at the moment, although you come darned close with phlegm.

Much of this is in the launching and not the word itself. The tone of voice. We say "fuck you" when enraged, which makes no grammatical sense at all. Sounds like we're wishing the other person "go have good sex".

"Fr***hole" does sound abjectly childish but to me that reflects on the speaker as grossly inarticulate. Just sounds silly. The dreaded c-word has a long and well-traveled history in Olde Englisshe (related to the word queen and the name Gwen) and part of its status-lowering has to do with its being derived from Anglo-Saxon rather than the preferred Norman French version (e.g. piss vs. urine).

We go automatically to the (supposedly) earthier Anglo-Saxon for the crude terms as we code-switch our levels of speech (fuck, shit, piss, c***) and we dress it up in French when we want to go genteel and indirect (fornicate, defecate, urinate, vagina) even though they mean the same thing, so it's all about not the word but the attitude.

Again of course it always takes both the sender and receiver to create offense. When the receiver declines to accept the attitude, the sender then has no power and is disarmed.

I don't like proactive.before I got out of the Corps all the officers were using that word.

Agree, "proactive" just sounds like so much bullshit.

Utilize. Doctors use this a lot giving lectures trying to make their shit sound more complex than it is. Heard one guy start to say the normal "use" and he almost broke his neck correcting himself to "utilize".

I'm less averse to the crude and more to the pretentious, because my natural response is "fuck you, come down off your high horse asshole".

Then there's the phrase "speak to" meaning "speak about". "What happened here speaks to the influence of..." More pretentious bullshit.

One word for me. Just one. And it bugs me to even type it. Yes, for real. It BUGS me. But..I gotta tell y'all so you can make sure to use it to irritate me (which means iggie for you if you do :D)

Cum.

I LOATHE that word. It sounds gross. It is gross. Semen, juice, whatever you wanna call it..just don't say the one I typed up there ^. Yuck.

For me it would be *****. There, didn't have to type it but it's what Donald Rump grabs women by. Just sounds so contemptuous, because it is. I'd rather use OL's word but if I typed that it would just come out ****.

Ain't it weird that all these disgraced words have to do with s*x, yet we can type "kill" and "shoot" and "maim" and "destroy" all we like.
I object to C*NT and its new equivalent f-h because of what it means. I'm not so great at articulating this stuff, but I found someone who put it pretty well:

Misogynists call women c*nts when they are trying...to put us back in our place, trying to remind us that what our identity boils down to is: our c*nt...so when a man calls me a c*nt, I know what he is saying: Know your worth — you are nothing. You are here for no other reason than for me to use. So lie down and shut up...
Glennon Doyle

One of the things about USMB I don't get is the silent, echoing halls when I float the idea of general respect for women. My f-h thread wasn't spurred by someone once again calling me a name. It was someone using a label to denigrate ALL women who have "stepped out of line" throughout history. Jesus.

Viewing women as sexual objects is so deeply embedded in our culture, so much part of our fabric, that even women can't see it.

In answer to Gracie's question, I can't think of a pet peeve word at the moment, although you come darned close with phlegm.

Much of this is in the launching and not the word itself. The tone of voice. We say "fuck you" when enraged, which makes no grammatical sense at all. Sounds like we're wishing the other person "go have good sex".

"Fr***hole" does sound abjectly childish but to me that reflects on the speaker as grossly inarticulate. Just sounds silly. The dreaded c-word has a long and well-traveled history in Olde Englisshe (related to the word queen and the name Gwen) and part of its status-lowering has to do with its being derived from Anglo-Saxon rather than the preferred Norman French version (e.g. piss vs. urine).

We go automatically to the (supposedly) earthier Anglo-Saxon for the crude terms as we code-switch our levels of speech (fuck, shit, piss, c***) and we dress it up in French when we want to go genteel and indirect (fornicate, defecate, urinate, vagina) even though they mean the same thing, so it's all about not the word but the attitude.

Again of course it always takes both the sender and receiver to create offense. When the receiver declines to accept the attitude, the sender then has no power and is disarmed.
When the receiver declines to accept the attitude, the sender then has no power and is disarmed.
So it is fine to say whatever to anyone, however denigrating and offensive, because it is that person's fault for taking offense? I don't think so, Pogo.

Cum.

Glennon Doyle

When the receiver declines to accept the attitude, the sender then has no power and is disarmed.
So it is fine to say whatever to anyone, however denigrating and offensive, because it is that person's fault for taking offense? I don't think so, Pogo.

I didn't mention anything about "fault".

But the fact remains, the receiver has to agree to the terms for it to work. If someone insulted you in Icelandic, and you had no idea what they said, you wouldn't receive it.

You might want to consider what's above the line you excerpted there. The derivation. It's there for a constructive purpose. Stripping the mystery off these things also disarms them. Think of it as exposing the man behind the curtain to which the flinger would rather you didn't pay attention.

I thought of one:
"One another" instead of "each other." Using "one another" really started coming into vogue a few years ago, and to me it sounds so pretentious. They are used interchangeably

I don't like proactive.before I got out of the Corps all the officers were using that word.
Kind of like in corporate America they use " reach out ". Fuck that. I'm not going to go "reach out" I'm going straight out ask . I think they believe phases like that make them seem self aware. They don't. They are dumb.

Same with nurses when they call everyone " my dear". It's scripted...and it sounds like it's scripted.

Cum.

Glennon Doyle

But the fact remains, the receiver has to agree to the terms for it to work. If someone insulted you in Icelandic, and you had no idea what they said, you wouldn't receive it.

You might want to consider what's above the line you excerpted there. The derivation. It's there for a constructive purpose. Stripping the mystery off these things also disarms them. Think of it as exposing the man behind the curtain to which the flinger would rather you didn't pay attention.
Go into an a bar full of black folks and say "Move over, n*gger."
If you have time, you can explain how that is only offensive because they let it be, and then you can explain to them the historical derivation of the word.
I'm sure they will be highly interested.

Glennon Doyle

If you have time, you can explain how that is only offensive because they let it be, and then you can explain to them the historical derivation of the word.

Actually that's a good example of the same dynamic. 75-100 years ago or so that scene would have happened, commonly, more likely with a "get out you don't belong here" than a "move over", but then the targets of that term refused to receive it and even adopted it among themselves. That defused the power the flingers of that term used to have; they don't dare fling it any more.

See what I mean?

Glennon Doyle

Actually that's a good example of the same dynamic. 75-100 years ago or so that scene would have happened, commonly, more likely with a "get out you don't belong here" than a "move over", but then the targets of that term refused to receive it and even adopted it among themselves. That defused the power the flingers of that term used to have; they don't dare fling it any more.

See what I mean?
They don't dare fling it any more because it is no longer a hanging offense for a black man to beat the shit out of a white man.
We are going to continue to disagree on this. Arguing with Pogo is way above my pay grade, so I'll stop now, but while your argument is logical on its face, it does not come close to dealing with my point.

A phrase: Democratic Socialism.

It's utter bullshit.

Forum List

Back