And here’s the key paragraph bouncing around the Middle East

BL is now a martyr.

Better that he's a dead martyr to the cause than a live insurgent working to further that cause, Grace.

A wise American once said.... "The point of war isn't to die for one's cause; but rather to make the other guys die for theirs."

That's why I all for a "No Prisoners" mentality when it comes to fighting these types of wars. If someone picks up a weapon and appears to have the intent to use it against an American soldier, they need to die. Regardless of age, gender, social rank, religion, etc...

There's a very telling scene towards the end of the movie "Black Hawk Down" as the US soldiers are moving towards the Green Zone. A Somali man is shot dead by the soldiers and immediately a woman (presumably his wife, mother, etc...) starts to reach for the AK-47 that he's dropped. One of the soldiers starts screaming at her "Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it." The moment she places her hands on the rifle one of the soldiers shoots her dead as well. Regardless of the fact that her motivation was anger and grief, the moment she becomes a threat, she has to die. That ought to be a small lesson to all of us on how WARS need to be fought.

I learned that philosophical lesson from a US Army combat veteran.... my father. He learned that lesson first hand in Vietnam. I won't go into the stories of how he learned the lesson, but suffice it to say he learned that the Enemy comes in all shapes, sizes, ages, and genders during his time overseas.

Should we prepare our troops that if they are captured they will be killed?

The Afghan and Iraqi War vets that I've spoken with have voiced a fairly common notion that if they were taken prisoner they expected to be severely abused, tortured, and more than likely killed. Most of them have told me that they would have fought to the last bullet and beyond to keep from being taken prisoner by any of the enemy forces in those regions.

I would suggest that considering the enemy we are fighting, no US soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine should expect the least bit of protection from the Geneva Convention or any other Law of War or Human Decency should they be taken prisoner on the battlefield.... if the enemy is even interested in taking prisoners at all.

There's a difference being armed and unarmed.
First report was there was a 45 minute gun fight, then it was reported he was reaching for a gun, then it was reported that there were guns near him, then it was reported he was unarmed, Now we have this. And all this coming from the government except for this last story.

Harold Koh’s analysis of actions such as the operation against OBL is well on-point and confirms the Administration’s actions were legal.
A more thorough explanation of the legal basis was given last year by Harold Hongju Koh, legal adviser at the US state department. He told a meeting of the American Society of International Law: "Some have argued that the use of lethal force against specific individuals fails to provide adequate process and thus constitutes unlawful extrajudicial killing. But a state that is engaged in an armed conflict or in legitimate self-defence is not required to provide targets with legal process before the state may use lethal force.

"The principles of distinction and proportionality that the US applies are …implemented rigorously throughout the planning and execution of lethal operations to ensure that such operations are conducted in accordance with all applicable law."

He added: "Some have argued that our targeting practices violate domestic law, in particular, the longstanding domestic ban on assassinations. But under domestic law, the use of lawful weapons systems - consistent with the applicable laws of war - for precision targeting of specific high-level belligerent leaders when acting in self-defence or during an armed conflict is not unlawful, and hence does not constitute 'assassination'."

It therefore makes no difference what OBL was doing, armed or unarmed, offering resistance or not – his very existence posed a threat we were legally justified to eliminate.

So justifing obama's action helps our troops if captured in what way?

How many of our troops have been captured by Al Queda? Haven't some of the few actually captured by Al Queda been beheaded. So what difference could it make?

What's worse? Getting shot and killed outright...getting captured and shot?...or getting blown to bits from a road side bomb?

I don't see any distinction.

bigreb; what do you do with a rabid dog?.... YOU PUT IT DOWN. For everyone's safety and well-being you put the animal down. OBL doesn't qualify as a human being in the books of those of us with any common sense. He was a dog. Maybe less than that.

I don't care if he'd thrown up his hands and attempted to surrender. The SEALS did exactly what they should have in offing that worthless sack of shit and piss. I am all for flying the Red Flag under the Stars and Stripes in every one of these War Zones where and when we're fighting terrorists. For those of you who don't know, that red flag means... "No Quarter". AKA.... We're not going to surrender and we're not taking any prisoners.

Thats been happening anyways.

The Afghan and Iraqi War vets that I've spoken with have voiced a fairly common notion that if they were taken prisoner they expected to be severely abused, tortured, and more than likely killed. Most of them have told me that they would have fought to the last bullet and beyond to keep from being taken prisoner by any of the enemy forces in those regions.

I would suggest that considering the enemy we are fighting, no US soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine should expect the least bit of protection from the Geneva Convention or any other Law of War or Human Decency should they be taken prisoner on the battlefield.... if the enemy is even interested in taking prisoners at all.

You are exactly right Anach, I was in the Military and this is something we discussed if we ever ran into trouble in Iraq, no surrender. A couple Army Soldiers got ambushed by like 12 Iraqi insurgents and they surrendered, they were taken and they were tortured beyond belief, one was beheaded and had his dick cut off, the other had his head smashed in with a large rock, it was disgusting, thats the kind of mercy our troops get on the battlefield, we aren't fighting the Germans or the Swedes here.

Last edited:
bigreb; what do you do with a rabid dog?.... YOU PUT IT DOWN. For everyone's safety and well-being you put the animal down. OBL doesn't qualify as a human being in the books of those of us with any common sense. He was a dog. Maybe less than that.

I don't care if he'd thrown up his hands and attempted to surrender. The SEALS did exactly what they should have in offing that worthless sack of shit and piss. I am all for flying the Red Flag under the Stars and Stripes in every one of these War Zones where and when we're fighting terrorists. For those of you who don't know, that red flag means... "No Quarter". AKA.... We're not going to surrender and we're not taking any prisoners.

Thats been happening anyways.

So why all the fuss about burning a book?

So we captured and executed the vermin, what's the problem? In his line of work some days you're the killer, some days the killed. At least he earned it unlike his many victims of terrorism. He's dead and I couldn't care less what family members or cohorts witnessed him getting his head blown open or saw his worthless corpse in the aftermath before they dragged it away. Happy nightmares, folks.

US forces captured Al Qaeda chief alive then executed him – Bin Laden's daughter
By Umer Farooq

Islamabad, Asharq Al-Awsat –The surviving members of Bin Laden’s family have revealed, during interrogation with the Pakistani authorities, that the US forces that stormed the Abbottabad compound where the Al Qaeda chief was hiding captured him alive, and later executed him at point-black range. Osama Bin Laden, who was living on the ground floor of this three-story building, was reportedly dragged towards the helicopter hovering above the compound by the US Navy Seal team before being executed, Bin Laden family members told Pakistani investigators.
Osama Bin Laden’s teenage daughter, Safia Bin Laden, reportedly witnessed her father's execution at the hands of the US commando team. She said that she witnessed her father being captured alive, and later being executed at point-blank rage in a room on the ground floor of the residential compound.

Washington initially announced that Bin Laden had fired upon the American Special Forces soldiers, using his wife as a human shield, however the US later acknowledged that the Al Qaeda leader had not been armed when he died, although some reports claim that Bin Laden may have been reaching for a weapon or making a threatening movement.

So we captured and executed the vermin, what's the problem? In his line of work some days you're the killer, some days the killed. At least he earned it unlike his many victims of terrorism. He's dead and I couldn't care less what family members or cohorts witnessed him getting his head blown open or saw his worthless corpse in the aftermath before they dragged it away. Happy nightmares, folks.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

US forces captured Al Qaeda chief alive then executed him – Bin Laden's daughter
By Umer Farooq

Islamabad, Asharq Al-Awsat –The surviving members of Bin Laden’s family have revealed, during interrogation with the Pakistani authorities, that the US forces that stormed the Abbottabad compound where the Al Qaeda chief was hiding captured him alive, and later executed him at point-black range. Osama Bin Laden, who was living on the ground floor of this three-story building, was reportedly dragged towards the helicopter hovering above the compound by the US Navy Seal team before being executed, Bin Laden family members told Pakistani investigators.
Osama Bin Laden’s teenage daughter, Safia Bin Laden, reportedly witnessed her father's execution at the hands of the US commando team. She said that she witnessed her father being captured alive, and later being executed at point-blank rage in a room on the ground floor of the residential compound.

Washington initially announced that Bin Laden had fired upon the American Special Forces soldiers, using his wife as a human shield, however the US later acknowledged that the Al Qaeda leader had not been armed when he died, although some reports claim that Bin Laden may have been reaching for a weapon or making a threatening movement.

I don't care even if they did, fuck him.

bigreb, what would you have prefered the SEALs do? Mirandize him, handcuff him, and drag him back to the US to face some form of kangaroo court? Are you truly so naive that you don't comprehend that these terrorists, whether it be OBL or the newest, greenest, never actually fought a day in his life terrorist trainee deserve nothing more than a swift bullet in the back of the head and being left for the jackals to feast upon?

By Umer Farooq

General McCaffrey in an interview this morning made a couple of interesting point. In a military operation, the troops are sent in kill the bad guys, not apprehend them or convince them to surrender. It's up to the enemy to make it clear that they want to surrender. This is not a police operation.

This was the best of all possible outcomes. If Bin Laden had surrendered, we would have had a 20 million dollar trial which would have drug on for months or years encouraging terrorist attacks around the world.

bigreb, what would you have prefered the SEALs do? Mirandize him, handcuff him, and drag him back to the US to face some form of kangaroo court? Are you truly so naive that you don't comprehend that these terrorists, whether it be OBL or the newest, greenest, never actually fought a day in his life terrorist trainee deserve nothing more than a swift bullet in the back of the head and being left for the jackals to feast upon?

Mirandize? No
handcuff him? Yes if possible

and drag him back to the US to face some form of kangaroo court?

obamush create that type of environment but we couldn't just let bin laden go because of a liberal technicality. No what I want is too point out the hypocrisy of Obamush and the left. That’s what I want an that’s what I am going to do. Fuck'em

Last edited:
By Umer Farooq

General McCaffrey in an interview this morning made a couple of interesting point. In a military operation, the troops are sent in kill the bad guys, not apprehend them or convince them to surrender. It's up to the enemy to make it clear that they want to surrender. This is not a police operation.

This was the best of all possible outcomes. If Bin Laden had surrendered, we would have had a 20 million dollar trial which would have drug on for months or years encouraging terrorist attacks around the world.

Bin Ladens trial would have been a circus and he would have hired an expensive lawyer and this would have lasted years, this was the best possible outcome for everyone involved, I thought these clowns wanted to be martyrs, he got his wish.

Forum List

Back