And....here, we, GO!

Great depressions happen about every 54 years on average by my count (Yes, I do read chronologies and look for major downturns and then do the math.) There is also a more regular 111 year cycle of great depressions that should have hit in 2004, not 2008. It's obviously a population selection cycle but this time it was gamed and counter-gamed. Lesser selective pressure downturns happen in between the more predictable moves.

Great depressions happen about every 54 years on average by my count (Yes, I do read chronologies and look for major downturns and then do the math.) There is also a more regular 111 year cycle of great depressions that should have hit in 2004, not 2008. It's obviously a population selection cycle but this time it was gamed and counter-gamed.

The Great Depression is a name given to one specific economic depression. It is not a technical economic turn, so no, "great" depressions do not happen every 54 years. Technically, there is no universally accepted definition in economics of a depression, but the two periods most commonly referred to as such are the years following the Panic of 1873 and then of course, the 1930s. Some consider the Panic of 1819 as a depression as well as it was referred to as such by President James Monroe, before the term was ever really used.

The conservative idea that cleaning up the cash-flow statement with debt when that is what causing the bleeding is obviously wrong but that does make the liberal position right. The proper goals are:

Liberalizing bankruptcy laws to get this crap behind us.

Abolish all interest rate deductions to free up assets.

Cut federal expenditures to 18% of GDP as an alternative to pulling an Iceland.

End the empire.

Interesting.....but is Iceland a proper comparative, given the differences in gov't make-up and social service spending?

Great depressions happen about every 54 years on average by my count (Yes, I do read chronologies and look for major downturns and then do the math.) There is also a more regular 111 year cycle of great depressions that should have hit in 2004, not 2008. It's obviously a population selection cycle but this time it was gamed and counter-gamed. Lesser selective pressure downturns happen in between the more predictable moves.

Being that the country is 234 years old, calling your 111 year timetable "regular" is a bit hyperbolic at best. Also, your 54 years time table essentially misses the Great Depression.

Thank you, Michael Moore, for your patriotism, and your defense of ordinary blue collar Americans.

Forum List

Back