ANd here is the problem

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by RetiredGySgt, May 30, 2008.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,930
    The Constitution and federal law REQUIRE every State to recognize the legal acts and papers and proceedings of every other State.

No matter why some States allow Gays to marry does not matter at all. Marriage is a LEGAL document and is required to be recognized as such by every State in the Union.

We should NOT have Judges legislating from the bench, but no matter how it became legal if a couple marries legally in one State every State is required to recognize the Marriage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080530/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage

2. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    I missed the problem?

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    It isn't a problem unless states insist on pandering to the religious right. Luckily, NY's new governor just did the right (only) thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/nyregion/29marriage.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

But as is to be expected, the loonies are getting all het up:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080529/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage_new_york

Perhaps Rev Motley should be out working at food bankss (which have 20% more people utilizing them b/c of the rise in price of gas) and combatting hunger....

4. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,726
    Massachusetts and California sure, but Canada??

Fuck Canada! :razz:

5. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    the "right" thing does not always mesh with the LEGISLATED will of the people. hell, what is "right" is a matter of perspective. I have to agree with RGS on this. I hope the gays enjoy their little three month window because strategically placed judges and brand new governors trying to make their mark won't be the ones passing a federal constitutional amendment. electing dems and liberals to office isn't a blank check to flaunt power and disregard the Constituion for the sake of the pet issue du jour. This kind of shit right here is why dems lose. Reaping the aftermath of George W Bush may work for 08 but 12 is only 4 years away.

"giving them enough rope to hang themselves" comes to mind.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Not necessarily. There has long been a public policy exception to the rule.

7. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    As applied to who is legally married? I don't think so. And, the public policy exception is more likely to apply to comity, or whether we accredit something done in another country since we ask if the act met our standards.

But I can't say I know what you're talking about in regard to something like marriage.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,769
    I don't get why you would object to one state having to recognize a legal marriage in another state.

9. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    So you think almost all Americans for the last 200+ years have been "loonies"? That's what you're implying when you put that label on people who oppose gay marriage. You are truly self-centered in your quest to allow legal marriage to an abnormal minority.

And speaking of food banks, your dissing the Rev. just speaks to your wanton ignorance of the fact that RELIGIOUS people do a hell of lot more work in that area than you and your freakin' anti-religious scumbag greenie comrads. What's your big problem with RELIGION anyhow....they kick you out of the regular synagogue?

If California gets to lay this bullshit on the rest of America, better damn watch out for the whiplash...

10. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    There have been cases applying that policy exception of Full Faith and Credit. I don't remember them limiting it to any actual application of the clause, they simply said that as between the States Full Faith and Credit generally applies, but there may be exceptions if recognition goes against the strong public policy of the State.