And can I get an AMEN!!!!!! WARNING THIS POST MIGHT MAKE YOUR HEAD SHAKE OFF.wt, huh?

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
'I say what I believe,' Sharpton tells audience
Knoxville News Sentinel ^ | 10/25/5 | CHANDRA HARRIS

I read this crap from THE REV. And I have to wonder where in the heck is this person coming from... And just what the hell did he just say???? :scratch: :alco:

Fans of President Bush were silenced Tuesday night at the James R. Cox Auditorium of the University of Tennessee Alumni Memorial Building.

Referring to Bush as "y'all's president" without specifically using his name, the Rev. Alfred "Al" Sharpton Jr. spoke bluntly about his dislike toward Bush or anything else the president has a hand in - the war in Iraq, the appointments to the U.S. Supreme Court and the federal emergency relief in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"I say what I mean, and I mean what I say," the former Democratic presidential candidate said on the campus auditorium stage, addressing the crowd of about 900.

"I say what I believe."

His appearance was sponsored by UT's Issues Committee and the Black Cultural Programming Committee. In September 2003, Sharpton appeared at an East Tennessee Truman Day dinner.

Sharpton's part-sermon, part-history lesson focused on why he believes the war in Iraq was started under false pretenses. In addition, he said, "Clearly, the war needs to end immediately."

Besides the loss of 2,000 U.S. military lives on Iraq battlefields, Sharpton took a look back as to why the war began.

After the Sept. 11 terror attacks, "the president got on TV and said we must bring justice, and we must get (Osama) bin Laden."

According to Sharpton, "Bush said the weapons of mass destruction were of imminent danger."

"I didn't go to UT," said Sharpton, who began preaching at the age of 4. "But I do know what imminent means.

"It means immediate. Not by and by, not tomorrow "

"We caught Saddam Hussein, but we still don't have bin Laden, who manages to put out two or three videos every month," he said.

"He has more videos than (R&B singer) Mary J. Blige."

"That's right," an audience member yelled, while others murmured, "Amen!" amid outbursts of laughter.

Sharpton said Bush's actions toward the war come at the price tag of the "manipulation" of the American public.

Sitting down and shutting up about it isn't his idea of making a mark on history.

"I want to be written down on the right side of history," said Sharpton. "It isn't about being popular or what assets I have. That is not what you will be remembered for. Your life should stand for more than just yourself."

Paying homage to the life of Rosa Parks, the civil-rights pioneer heralded for refusing to give up her bus seat to a white man, Sharpton said she was an ordinary woman who made an extraordinary difference.

"Her refusal to move allows black students to be in this school today," he said. "You will be judged by what you stand for - not your bling-bling or what you have."

"So ask yourself the question: What do you stand for?"

I read this crap from THE REV. And I have to wonder where in the heck is this person coming from... And just what the hell did he just say????
Okay, I'll put it in simple terms for you. He questioned Bush's reasons for war and he praised Rosa Parks. And he told young people to stand for something besides "bling." Clear?:banana:

Hagbard Celine said:
Okay, I'll put it in simple terms for you. He questioned Bush's reasons for war and he praised Rosa Parks. And he told young people to stand for something besides "bling." Clear?:banana:

Nope? Maybe you better draw me a picture.. :teeth:

I forgot I left the cap on. SORRY.. :eek: As you can see I did shut it off towards the end. :)

Forum List

Back