ANC's Halt & Catch Fire

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
I still have absolutely idea what the title means in computer terms and, to show my lack of computer knowledge, most of what they talk about is waaaaaay over my head.

At least I've seen two older actors on this show that have been around before. All the rest are unknown to me.

As for the show - I'm not really sure what this is all about. They talk about IBM and even referred to Bill Gates. I'm guess but think if might have something to do with Perot's operation.

I watch basically because there isn't much of interest on Saturday nights and I have On Demand.

Thoughts?

I still have absolutely idea what the title means in computer terms and, to show my lack of computer knowledge, most of what they talk about is waaaaaay over my head.

At least I've seen two older actors on this show that have been around before. All the rest are unknown to me.

As for the show - I'm not really sure what this is all about. They talk about IBM and even referred to Bill Gates. I'm guess but think if might have something to do with Perot's operation.

I watch basically because there isn't much of interest on Saturday nights and I have On Demand.

Thoughts?

[MENTION=39846]longknife[/MENTION]

I missed most of the first half of the season, tried to pick it up midway. No Joy.:(

The name "Halt and Catch Fire" refers to the tongue-in-cheek term for machine code commands that cause a processor to permanently stop meaningful function.

Basically, code that destroys the processor that runs it.

In more detail it refers to HCF commands in relation to memory read cycles for various CPU tests.

Just finished the last season. This was one of the best series ever. I am going to miss it. A lot.

I did not watch this on AMC (not "ANC", whatever that is :D). I watched this on Netflix, without commercials, and in massive binges as each season was released.

If you missed this on commercial television, grab it on Netflix while you still can.

Brilliant writing. Brilliant directing. Brilliant acting.

Each season was better than ones which came before. It just went up and up and up.
This series went out on a very high note, which is as it should be.

About halfway through the fourth season, I was so awestruck and into this show, I said to my wife, "It is going to really suck when this show jumps the shark."

Because that is what far too many great shows do. They run for one season too long, and fall off a cliff and ruin the memory.

I said what I said not knowing I was watching the last season.

Now I have contradictory feelings. I am glad the show went out on a high note before it could inevitably disappoint.

But I want more.

I want more.

Last edited:
Just finished the last season. This was one of the best series ever. I am going to miss it. A lot.

I did not watch this on AMC (not "ANC", whatever that is :D). I watched this on Netflix, without commercials, and in massive binges as each season was released.

If you missed this on commercial television, grab it on Netflix while you still can.

Each season was better than ones which came before. It just went up and up and up.

About halfway through the fourth season, I was so awestruck and into this show, I said to my wife, "It is going to really suck when this show jumps the shark."

Because that is what far too many great shows do. They run for one season too long, and fall off a cliff and ruin the memory.

Now I have contradictory feelings. I am glad the show went out on a high note before it could inevitably disappoint.

But I want more.

I want more.

^^^^^^^^ Could not agree more, but DO NOT start mid series, this one must be seen from start to finish in order.

But I want more.

I want more.

^^^^^^^^ Could not agree more, but DO NOT start mid series, this one must be seen from start to finish in order.
Definitely.

I just started watching the show from the beginning again, and there are a lot of moments in the first episode referenced in the final episode of the series.

Business class airline tickets, Joe flipping through the IBM BIOS code...

Joe and Bos are radically different characters at the end of the series. I forgot what an ugly person Joe was at the beginning.

Forum List

Back