Ancient Jewish Coin From Israel Sells For Record $1.1 Million

JStone

Rookie
Jun 29, 2011
Pulitzer Prize-Winning Writer Charles Krauthammer...
Israel is the very embodiment of Jewish continuity: It is the only nation on earth that inhabits the same land, bears the same name, speaks the same language, and worships the same God that it did 3,000 years ago. You dig the soil and you find pottery from Davidic times, coins from Bar Kokhba, and 2,000-year-old scrolls written in a script remarkably like the one that today advertises ice cream at the corner candy store.

Ancient Judean shekel coin sells for $1.1 million at auction
The Year 1 prototype silver shekel from A.D. 66 was bought Thursday night at Heritage Auctions by an East Coast collector.

It is one of only two known Year 1 prototype silver shekels. The other one is in the collection of the Israel Museum.

It's the first silver coin struck by Jewish forces revolting against Roman rule in the first century. It features an image of a ritual chalice and three pomegranates.

Heritage says it's the highest price for any Judean coin paid at auction.

The reverse side of the Year 1 prototype silver shekel sold Thursday in New York.
It's one of 2,200 ancient Judean coins from the Shoshana Collection assembled by a Los Angeles-area collector. He bought it at a 1991 auction for more than $240,000.

Israel's greatest mistake was to make peace offferings to the Palestinian squatters, build a security fence & concede land to them so they can remain in Israel. No Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, ever treated them like Israel does. When will Israel ever learn from Jordan how to establish a lasting peace from the Palestinians?

For some people, accepting documented history is too painful. Perhaps that is why they prefer an attempt to re-write it in their own minds. I once knew a lady who said "there was no Israel until 1948." I was so astonished with her belief that I could only reply ---yes, that is when they became the Israelites.

• Banned
Book of Genesis, Torah [ca. 1000 BCE]...

Then Abraham rose from beside his dead wife and spoke to the Hittites. He said, “I am a foreigner and stranger among you. Sell me some property for a burial site here so I can bury my dead.”

The Hittites replied to Abraham, “Sir, listen to us. You are a mighty prince among us. Bury your dead in the choicest of our tombs. None of us will refuse you his tomb for burying your dead.”

Then Abraham rose and bowed down before the people of the land, the Hittites. He said to them, “If you are willing to let me bury my dead, then listen to me and intercede with Ephron son of Zohar on my behalf so he will sell me the cave of Machpelah, which belongs to him and is at the end of his field. Ask him to sell it to me for the full price as a burial site among you.”

Ephron the Hittite was sitting among his people and he replied to Abraham in the hearing of all the Hittites who had come to the gate of his city. “No, my lord,” he said. “Listen to me; I give you the field, and I give you the cave that is in it. I give it to you in the presence of my people. Bury your dead.”

Again Abraham bowed down before the people of the land 13 and he said to Ephron in their hearing, “Listen to me, if you will. I will pay the price of the field. Accept it from me so I can bury my dead there.”

Ephron answered Abraham, “Listen to me, my lord; the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver, but what is that between you and me? Bury your dead.”

Abraham agreed to Ephron’s terms and weighed out for him the price he had named in the hearing of the Hittites: four hundred shekels of silver, according to the weight current among the merchants.

So Ephron’s field in Machpelah near Mamre—both the field and the cave in it, and all the trees within the borders of the field—was deeded 18 to Abraham as his property in the presence of all the Hittites who had come to the gate of the city. Afterward Abraham buried his wife Sarah in the cave in the field of Machpelah near Mamre (which is at Hebron) in the land of Canaan. So the field and the cave in it were deeded to Abraham by the Hittites as a burial site.

images

• Banned

That would be a coin minted by the British ca. 1937 under the British Mandate. The British are from Europe. Not exactly ancient and virtually worthless, dunce. :badgrin: :clap2:

Go sit in the dunce corner.

Jos

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Vp642ERhM&feature=related]Sound-Effects - Crowd Laughing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Try 1927, it says so right next to the name Palestine, (in Arabic the P is pronounced like B)
I would recommend collecting current Israeli coins, as the day will come when people deny that israel ever existed

• Banned
Try 1927, it says so right next to the name Palestine, (in Arabic the P is pronounced like B)
I would recommend collecting current Israeli coins, as the day will come when people deny that israel ever existed

Palestine is an English and Latin word, dunce. There is no letter p in Arabic so palesteeenians, who are Arabs, can't even write their own invented identity in their own native Arabic language :badgrin:

Stay in the dunce corner.

Jos

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Vp642ERhM&feature=related]Sound-Effects - Crowd Laughing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
BIG-FAT-JEW-LIAR.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back