Ancient Egyptian Mortuary Temples

Russell

Jul 6, 2011
Hi All,
When an ancient Egyptian pharaoh came to the throne, he started two building projects, if he did not begin them earlier, his tomb and his mortuary temple. His tomb, usually hidden and guarded to protect it from thieves, contained his remains and the personal possessions he wished to take with him to the next life. His mortuary temple was another story. It was a lavish structure, endowed with gold, silver, gems, land and slaves to enable its priesthood to worship his divine nature and see to it that his fame lasted for all eternity. From what I once read, the mortuary temple of Thutmoses III lasted about 800 years!

Today, the ancient Egyptian pharaohs are long gone but mortuary temples are still being built, today, we call them presidential libraries. Both mortuary temples and presidential libraries are monuments to ego, where we may worship the divine nature of our past rulers, when ever we wish to do so. This is a land of religious freedom.

Has anyone made a pilgrimage to and worshiped in a presidential library, acknowledged the divine nature of its honoree, and prayed his fame would last for eternity? I do not plan to do so. Is such a visit an invigorating, inspiring experience? I'm just curious. Thanks. Russ

Last edited:
I think I'll wait for the republicans to bring Reagan to me.
This reminds me... Oliver Cromwell was tried for crimes against England posthumously, and found guilty. He was so hated, they dug up his body and hung his corpse.

New Topics

Forum List

Back