Anchor Baby Denied Financial Aid

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
An American-born high school student from New Jersey has been denied state tuition assistance because her mother is an illegal immigrant, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

The ACLU and a Rutgers University legal clinic are representing the high school senior — identified only as A.Z. — in an appeal filed on her behalf in a case they claim violates both state and federal laws.

The student, a lifelong New Jersey resident and graduating senior, applied for a Tuition Aid Grant from the state's Higher Education Student Assistance Authority, or HESAA. Her state aid application was rejected, according to the ACLU, with the explanation that "her parents are not legal New Jersey residents."

American-born student denied N.J. tuition grant due to mom's immigration status | NJ.com

Boo freakin hoo. I am so tired of this bullshit. My kids cannot get financial aid in the state of PA because we are not legal residents there. That's the way it works kids. :evil:

The parents should be grateful they are not being deported. Instead they are suing. What a country!

Wow. A government agency actually following the law.

The mind boggles.

An American-born high school student from New Jersey has been denied state tuition assistance because her mother is an illegal immigrant, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

The ACLU and a Rutgers University legal clinic are representing the high school senior — identified only as A.Z. — in an appeal filed on her behalf in a case they claim violates both state and federal laws.

The student, a lifelong New Jersey resident and graduating senior, applied for a Tuition Aid Grant from the state's Higher Education Student Assistance Authority, or HESAA. Her state aid application was rejected, according to the ACLU, with the explanation that "her parents are not legal New Jersey residents."

American-born student denied N.J. tuition grant due to mom's immigration status | NJ.com

Boo freakin hoo. I am so tired of this bullshit. My kids cannot get financial aid in the state of PA because we are not legal residents there. That's the way it works kids. :evil:

The parents should be grateful they are not being deported. Instead they are suing. What a country!

Wow, what a callous bigot you are. The child did nothing wrong; she was born in the U.S. and she is by law a U.S. Citizen who resides in N.J. Yes, we have a great country, sadly some of our citizens are jerks.

Seems like a good time to deport the illegal alien criminal parents. Might as well take the anchor baby with them too.

from strictly a non partisan standpoint , I question Rutgers Universities standing here in that they have a conflict of interest.

Wow, what a callous bigot you are. The child did nothing wrong; she was born in the U.S. and she is by law a U.S. Citizen who resides in N.J. Yes, we have a great country, sadly some of our citizens are jerks.

read the op again......

read the op again......

I did, as well as the link. Your point escapes me, the author of the OP celebrates a hard working senior at the top of her class is denied aid. That makes Chanel a callous jerk in my opinion.

[The child did nothing wrong; she was born in the U.S. and she is by law a U.S. Citizen

She is doing something wrong by not going to the authorities and telling them that she was brought into the US without her permission. Then she should testify against the human traffickers that brought her into the US. That is what a real American would do.

[The child did nothing wrong; she was born in the U.S. and she is by law a U.S. Citizen

She is doing something wrong by not going to the authorities and telling them that she was brought into the US without her permission. Then she should testify against the human traffickers that brought her into the US. That is what a real American would do.

she was born here.

dumbasss.

can anyone think of any other instance where a citizen is punished for the actions of their parents? as the article state, immigration status of one's parents is not listed as a qualification.

Last edited:

Has nothing to do with illegal immigration actually.

If the parents are not legal residents of the state, then she can not get in state tuition. Thats the way the law is written. So if the parents were from say, California, and were not legal residents of NJ, then she would still be denied.

The illegal immigrant portion is a red herring.

She was born here. She wasn't brought here.

Make the ACLU a deal: they drop the case in exchange for letting her mother stay in the US. Sounds fair to me.

Here's a better idea. She gets the scholarship and her parents get deported. Much cheaper solution.

They can't have it both ways.

Interesting comments on the article. It seems they would only know they are illegal with information from the FAFSA. EVERY CHILD (regardless of status) is denied if the parents have not filed a tax return. It's not about discrimination; it's about special treatment. Again.

But that wouldn't make a good headline for the paper. :evil:

A callous jerk? My kids are ineligible for any aid based on their parents' residency and financial status. If we chose not to pay, they would be still be denied. What kind of callous jerk would deny taxpayer money those "innocent" kids?

That's the way it works buddy.

regulations aside, you're not part of the newly constructed grievance class Chanel. and, you're not a sheep.

read the op again......

I did, as well as the link. Your point escapes me, the author of the OP celebrates a hard working senior at the top of her class is denied aid. That makes Chanel a callous jerk in my opinion.

point escapes me

so what else is new?

I could not and doubt ( anyone but I cannot speak to others states or districts) send my child when he or she was in say high school to an out of district high school......you had to RESIDE in the district LEGALLY nimrod...get it now????

As well as the US Constitution.

In Plyler v Doe (1982) the Court held that children can not be punished for the bad acts of their parents:

Their "parents have the ability to conform their conduct to societal norms," and presumably the ability to remove themselves from the State's jurisdiction; but the children who are plaintiffs in these cases "can affect neither their parents' conduct nor their own status." Trimble v. Gordon, 430 U.S. 762, 770 (1977). Even if the State found it expedient to control the conduct of adults by acting against their children, legislation directing the onus of a parent's misconduct against his children does not comport with fundamental conceptions of justice.

[V]isiting . . . condemnation on the head of an infant is illogical and unjust. Moreover, imposing disabilities on the . . . child is contrary to the basic concept of our system that legal burdens should bear some relationship to individual responsibility or wrongdoing. Obviously, no child is responsible for his birth, and penalizing the . . . child is an ineffectual -- as well as unjust -- way of deterring the parent.

Weber v. Aetna Casualty & Surety Co., 406 U.S. 164, 175 (1972)

Plyler v. Doe

The student will obviously win her case.

Consequently there is no such thing as an ‘anchor baby,’ and punitive actions can not be taken against such children accordingly in an effort to deter their parents’ potential law violations. Indeed, per Plyler, this applies to undocumented children living in the United States as well.

Here's a better idea. She gets the scholarship and her parents get deported. Much cheaper solution.

They can't have it both ways.

Interesting comments on the article. It seems they would only know they are illegal with information from the FAFSA. EVERY CHILD (regardless of status) is denied if the parents have not filed a tax return. It's not about discrimination; it's about special treatment. Again.

But that wouldn't make a good headline for the paper. :evil:

Oh, but they will have it both ways even if Obama and Eric Holder have to make it so.

In Plyler v Doe (1982) the Court held that children can not be punished for the bad acts of their parents:

Their "parents have the ability to conform their conduct to societal norms," and presumably the ability to remove themselves from the State's jurisdiction; but the children who are plaintiffs in these cases "can affect neither their parents' conduct nor their own status." Trimble v. Gordon, 430 U.S. 762, 770 (1977). Even if the State found it expedient to control the conduct of adults by acting against their children, legislation directing the onus of a parent's misconduct against his children does not comport with fundamental conceptions of justice.

[V]isiting . . . condemnation on the head of an infant is illogical and unjust. Moreover, imposing disabilities on the . . . child is contrary to the basic concept of our system that legal burdens should bear some relationship to individual responsibility or wrongdoing. Obviously, no child is responsible for his birth, and penalizing the . . . child is an ineffectual -- as well as unjust -- way of deterring the parent.

Plyler v. Doe

Consequently there is no such thing as an ‘anchor baby,’ and punitive actions can not be taken against such children accordingly in an effort to deter their parents’ potential law violations. Indeed, per Plyler, this applies to undocumented children living in the United States as well.

She won't win.

The parents are not legal residents of NJ. Their overall US citizenship status doesn't matter. All that matters is if they are legal residents of NJ.

Plyler v. Doe

She won't win.

The parents are not legal residents of NJ. Their overall US citizenship status doesn't matter. All that matters is if they are legal residents of NJ.

I'd bet money she'll win the case. She is, after all, a member of a protected class.

Forum List

Back