Anchor babies: Born in the usa--

Which you can't do. There was nothing unconstitutional about it.
The decision falls within the plain reading of the 14th Amendment, its intention and legislative history.

Does anyone else get tired of the leftwing technique of TELLING A BALD-FACED LIE RIGHT TO YOUR FACE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT???

The intention of the 14th amendment was to ensure citizenship for freed blacks. To suggest that it's authors intended that it be used as legal cover for women pulling the anchor baby scam reveals such a breath-taking disregard for the truth, it's hard to believe ANYONE, even the most evil, america-hating, brainwashed, STUPID leftwing robot would dare offer it.

That is not an intelligent response. You are just pissed off that I have been running circles around you.

You're running circles around yourself. You are a first class dingbat. :D

Your argument concerning the phrase "subject to jurisdiction of the United States" was based on a misreading of the term "subject". You mistook being a national of another country with being immune to prosecution in the US.

I did nothing of the kind. Now you're resorting to straw men. My take on the misapplication of jus soli in this case has been upheld by legal scholars for a century. You don't know that, because you don't understand the case or its history.

I did nothing of the kind. Now you're resorting to straw men. My take on the misapplication of jus soli in this case has been upheld by legal scholars for a century. You don't know that, because you don't understand the case or its history.

You are the one ignorant of the history here.

There is no misapplication here at all. You just don't like it, that's all. Tough Shit. If you are so big on compliance with the laws, suck it up and be a man about it. That is the law.

Citizenship by birth has been upheld for more than a century because it is in line with the meaning and purpose of the 14th Amendment. They didn't take illegal aliens into account. Its omission doesn't change the rule. That means you are fucked. You can't violate a section of the constitution because its drafters didn't think of a current situation. It never works that way. You would have to rewrite the 14th Amendment to cover it then. That is not going to happen.

The text, the intention of the drafters and its application all point to citizenship by birth and more importantly, it points to a specific goal of not tying in the legal status of anyone born in this country based on their parentage. Avoidance of permanent "caste systems" based on one's lineage. [This was discussed previously with Missourian]

"Subject to jurisdiction of the United States" means can be brought before a court in the US. It is different from being "the subject of a foreign power", which means being a foreign citizen. With that bit of the text cleared up with an honest plain interpretation goes any pretense that the 14th Amendment allows you to disenfranchise "anchor babies".

Most importantly, your whole idea is inherently dangerously stupid. Once you start attacking the citizenship rights of anyone born in this country, you open the door for the rights of any group to be stripped away by the government. You allow the government to create classes of "non-people". The kind of thing usually seen with dictatorships.

Unless you bring something new to the table, there is no point in going any further. We don't need to make the next 15 responses a series of childish insults and "I really said this... not this...."

So....What can we do?

We can force our representatives in Congress to Amend the 14th Amendment changing the wording to include "Parents of LEGAL Status"

Why do I saw we can force? If they don't do it, we vote them out. We have the power not them.

You are the one ignorant of the history here.

There is no misapplication here at all. You just don't like it, that's all. Tough Shit. If you are so big on compliance with the laws, suck it up and be a man about it. That is the law.

Citizenship by birth has been upheld for more than a century because it is in line with the meaning and purpose of the 14th Amendment. They didn't take illegal aliens into account. Its omission doesn't change the rule. That means you are fucked. You can't violate a section of the constitution because its drafters didn't think of a current situation. It never works that way. You would have to rewrite the 14th Amendment to cover it then. That is not going to happen.

The text, the intention of the drafters and its application all point to citizenship by birth and more importantly, it points to a specific goal of not tying in the legal status of anyone born in this country based on their parentage. Avoidance of permanent "caste systems" based on one's lineage. [This was discussed previously with Missourian]

"Subject to jurisdiction of the United States" means can be brought before a court in the US. It is different from being "the subject of a foreign power", which means being a foreign citizen. With that bit of the text cleared up with an honest plain interpretation goes any pretense that the 14th Amendment allows you to disenfranchise "anchor babies".

Most importantly, your whole idea is inherently dangerously stupid. Once you start attacking the citizenship rights of anyone born in this country, you open the door for the rights of any group to be stripped away by the government. You allow the government to create classes of "non-people". The kind of thing usually seen with dictatorships.

Unless you bring something new to the table, there is no point in going any further. We don't need to make the next 15 responses a series of childish insults and "I really said this... not this...."

The way it works is Constitutional Amendment. Either one has a case or one doesn't. Either one has enough support or one doesn't. There is no other way to portray it, there is nothing that will stand in the way of a Super Majority with the will to rectify wrongs and implement necessary change. Obstruction, misrepresentation, misapplication, misdirection, delay, may be tools that are used on either side to obstruct Justice, but, not forever. We seek to Establish Justice? Show Cause. Show the damage.

Children of illegal immigrants will not be afforded United States citizenship. Pure and simple.

If we just control our borders and enforce our existing laws we won't have to worry about things like amending the Constitution.

Only a Constitutional Amendment would settle the issue definitively, and that would involve no end of legal wrangling and potentially problematic consequences. It would be a lot more reasonable to just CONTROL OUR DAMN BORDERS.

Unkotare,

You cannot stop everybody from sneaking in, not until we start shooting at em'... But that would make us Un-American for the cruelty that would be involved. Hence, why we have to PATCH the loophole...TO prevent them from Abusing our laws

It's easy. Deport the parents and they can either take their "American" children with them or leave them here.

Unkotare,

You cannot stop everybody from sneaking in, not until we start shooting at em'... But that would make us Un-American for the cruelty that would be involved. Hence, why we have to PATCH the loophole...TO prevent them from Abusing our laws

No, we won't stop everyone, but we can do a hell of a lot better. Since that is the government's damn job, better to have them actually do it than to mess around with the Constitution ("patch" is a fantasy).

Forum List

Back