Anatomy of A Brain Fart

Status
Not open for further replies.
&

☭proletarian☭

Neuroscientists, a more refined bunch, call these episodes “maladaptive brain activity changes.” But they wonder the same thing we all do: Why does the brain fail to execute on something that should be so easy?
The latest research seems to indicate that brain farts are a unique type of cognitive mistake. Unlike errors caused by lack of information or experience, or by distractions, brain farts are innate. They have a predictable neural pattern that emerges up to 30 seconds before they happen. When you are absorbed in inward-focused thinking such as daydreaming, a collection of brain regions jointly called the default mode network (DMN) starts furiously popping away. Neuroscientists don’t agree on exactly which parts of the brain compose this network, but they now believe it is one of the busiest neurological systems. All that activity may help explain why the adult brain, which represents only about 2 percent of the body’s total weight, consumes up to 20 percent of its energy.

Anatomy of A Brain Fart | Memory, Emotions, & Decisions | DISCOVER Magazine

☭proletarian☭;1900469 said:
Neuroscientists, a more refined bunch, call these episodes “maladaptive brain activity changes.” But they wonder the same thing we all do: Why does the brain fail to execute on something that should be so easy?
The latest research seems to indicate that brain farts are a unique type of cognitive mistake. Unlike errors caused by lack of information or experience, or by distractions, brain farts are innate. They have a predictable neural pattern that emerges up to 30 seconds before they happen. When you are absorbed in inward-focused thinking such as daydreaming, a collection of brain regions jointly called the default mode network (DMN) starts furiously popping away. Neuroscientists don’t agree on exactly which parts of the brain compose this network, but they now believe it is one of the busiest neurological systems. All that activity may help explain why the adult brain, which represents only about 2 percent of the body’s total weight, consumes up to 20 percent of its energy.

Anatomy of A Brain Fart | Memory, Emotions, & Decisions | DISCOVER Magazine

Great.. So now men have a "technical" excuse. :eusa_eh:

What do you mean, 'now'? I've been blaming the Y chromosome for years.

☭proletarian☭;1900586 said:

I expect you're one of the smart ones, then. :cool:

☭proletarian☭;1900612 said:
☭proletarian☭;1900586 said:

I expect you're one of the smart ones, then. :cool:
I'm saving that post for posterity :lol:

It won't do you any good given the fact that I'm female, and BECAUSE I'm female, I can change my mind at any given time, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. :eusa_hand:

Signed,

-X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back