Anarchist Calisthenics

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    This is, quite simply, the most profound statement on our relationship with the government I have ever read. Reading it in context only makes it more poignant.

Anarchist Calisthenics | Bleeding Heart Libertarians

2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    What is so "poignant" about how people in Germany cross the street?

3. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Thanks for making the point that some people will obey the government even when it is wrong.

4. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    History has already made that point, a thousand times over.

5. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Does the fact that you would have been one of the many people looking the other way because you are incapable of admitting that your government is wrong make you feel comforted, or afraid?

6. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    What the fuck are you talking about?

"My" (and your) government is wrong about many things, and I've never hesitated to "admit" it.

7. Quantum Windbag

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Do you break the laws you think are wrong? If you don't you are not willing to admit anything,

8. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    Yes, I do break laws. Frequently.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Clementine

Clementine Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,767
    This is the same phenomenon in airports when TSA agents yell "freeze." Even though people don't have to do this by law, they all obey. In a video, when one man kept walking, the others chastised him for it. The people were already in the secure area and screened already, but it was simply a test to see how easily crowds could be controlled.

We have too many laws that seek to dictate our every move. More and more laws were made and, like obedient sheep, we followed them without question. It is about control and I say we should ignore the stupid laws.

Of course, following laws can also get you into big trouble if you are a border state and wish to protect citizens. If you obey the immigration laws, the administration will sue you.

It's not really about jaywalking laws or upholding federal laws anymore. It's about the whims of the current regime. They ignore laws that don't help their agenda and continue to create more oppressive legislation to aid in obedience training for citizens.

Every time the government hands down a new law or new tax, they practically dare people to speak out against it. They attack those that do. The continually vilify all those on the right because it's a given they will disagree with their politics. But, it goes even further than that nowadays. Even a private citizen, Joe the plumber, was investigated for merely asking a question. We were treated to his entire life story and he was ridiculed by the left simply because he tripped Obama up and got him to admit he believes in wealth redistribution. The message was that it would happen to you if you spoke out like that. Making examples of those who step out of line in order to silence others by teaching them a lesson. All part of the obedience training. Of course, anyone reading Alinsky's Rules for Radicals and other Marxist writings are well aware of these tactics and why they are used.

10. mamooth

mamooth Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,678
    Germans don't obey "The government". They obey the signs, no matter whose signs they are. Put up a sign, Germans obey it. No sign, they assume no rules at all, and act accordingly. It's a sort of very literal culture.

As far as the daily libertarian lawbreaking goes, eventually they get to taxes, and obviously tax cheating is justifiable in the name of liberty. The more breaking a law benefits a libertarian, the more likely they'll justify breaking it in the name of freedom. Not any different from other people, except other people just admit they're breaking the law for personal benefit. I don't break the speed limit because I love freedom, I do it because I want to go faster.