Analysts Suggest Chrysler Can't Turn Around Company

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Things were so bad last year that a single Toyota model, the Camry/Solara midsize car, outsold the entire fleet of Chrysler LLC's passenger cars.

DETROIT — Even by the standards of battered automakers, Chrysler is in dire shape. Its sales in December were down a stunning 53 percent, far worse than Ford or General Motors, and analysts say it probably won't survive the year as an independent company — despite $4 billion in government loans and the possibility of more.

Things were so bad last year that a single Toyota model, the Camry/Solara midsize car, outsold the entire fleet of Chrysler LLC's passenger cars.

"Basically they're done," said Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst with the consulting company IHS Global Insight in Troy, Mich. "There is no real possibility of turning this thing

FOXNews.com - Analysts Suggest Chrysler Can't Turn Around Company - FOX Car Report

Too bad. More bad news. And in the steel industry, our main mill just went to 4 day weeks. Three shifts, 32 hrs a week for operations. In my little branch, still 40 hrs a week, but that could change on a moments notice. Oh well, less than 10 months to full Social Security for me, so it affects me far less than most. Notice that I only mentioned SS? Yes, I have a pension coming, but I would not bet much on getting it. Seen too many friends retire on a 'for certain' pension, that are now recieving zero.

Too bad. More bad news. And in the steel industry, our main mill just went to 4 day weeks. Three shifts, 32 hrs a week for operations. In my little branch, still 40 hrs a week, but that could change on a moments notice. Oh well, less than 10 months to full Social Security for me, so it affects me far less than most. Notice that I only mentioned SS? Yes, I have a pension coming, but I would not bet much on getting it. Seen too many friends retire on a 'for certain' pension, that are now recieving zero.

Your right Old Rocks it is too bad, but you know, that's business. Companies succeed and fail everyday. Yes, I understand the implications of this one, but, if we do not let this run it's course to some degree, we will never heal from it. As sad as that is.

We own a Jeep product and have been pretty happy with it. We also have at least one GM and at least one Ford. Truth be know, two each of them. With the exception of one Toyota all of our cars and trucks over the years have been American.

Bikes have been a different story. I had one soft tail, but other than that, they have all been metric. I simply get entirely too much more for my money and they are much more dependable.

GM and Ford need restructured from top to bottom to be properly competitive for the long haul. I hope they do it or we may end up with only one American maker by the time it's all over.

Jeep can still make money, sell it to GM. They need some positive.

Forum List

Back