Analysis: US now winning Iraq war that seemed lost

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
BAGHDAD - The United States is now winning the war that two years ago seemed lost. Limited, sometimes sharp fighting and periodic terrorist bombings in Iraq are likely to continue, possibly for years. But the Iraqi government and the U.S. now are able to shift focus from mainly combat to mainly building the fragile beginnings of peace — a transition that many found almost unthinkable as recently as one year ago.

Despite the occasional bursts of violence, Iraq has reached the point where the insurgents, who once controlled whole cities, no longer have the clout to threaten the viability of the central government.

That does not mean the war has ended or that U.S. troops have no role in Iraq. It means the combat phase finally is ending, years past the time when President Bush optimistically declared it had. The new phase focuses on training the Iraqi army and police, restraining the flow of illicit weaponry from Iran, supporting closer links between Baghdad and local governments, pushing the integration of former insurgents into legitimate government jobs and assisting in rebuilding the economy.

Scattered battles go on, especially against al-Qaida holdouts north of Baghdad. But organized resistance, with the steady drumbeat of bombings, kidnappings, assassinations and ambushes that once rocked the capital daily, has all but ceased.

whole article
Analysis: US now winning Iraq war that seemed lost - Yahoo! News

I never thought we'd lose it. The only ones who were convinced we'd lose were the ones who didn't want us to win.

I never thought we'd lose it. The only ones who were convinced we'd lose were the ones who didn't want us to win.

I don't think they even thought we would lose it. I think they just used that as an argument to try and get us out, and keep us from going in the first place. Though I assume with most of the Media in their corners, they will not pay for being so wrong about it.

The Sunnis decided to take care of al queda before the surge.

Sadr and the Shiites decided to call a truce with us so we would leave. Plus we paid them millions.

2 million displaced iraqis living in neighboring countries, ran out of their country and 1 million dead.

I said this long ago and obama is trying to say it now, but the liberal media that loves him so much just keeps saying, obama won't admit the surge worked. It is just one reason violence is down.

Note that us leaving does not make mccain or bush happy. We built a huge embassy and I think the gop wanted to stay.

And it may be inevidable that sadr ends up ruling iraq. He was our enemy. Most wanted. But he is also very popular in iraq. And it is also inevidable that iran will be very influential in iraq. this was not part of mccan and bushs plan either. But trying to prevent that would have cost too many lives and too much money.

So for those of you that think I see everything in black and white, remember that when you say simply that , "the surge worked".

Clearly there are many reasons it has turned around. The point however is that many Democrats and liberals have been telling us since day one that would could never win in Iraq.

Though I am sure I credit the Surge more than you would, and I would point out that we paid the sunnis to do that. It was all part of a shift in strategy that should have been implimented years ago.

Last edited:
Threatening to leave may have also helped? Not to mention Iraqi's want us gone. I remember someone a couple weeks ago saying Iraqis wanted us to stay. I knew that was only iraqis making money off us in the gren zone.

Malaki has an election coming up. Just like our politicians don't do shit for three years and then start trying right before an election. If they don't start showing progress, they won't get re elected.

I am curious if iraq will be a friend or foe in the future. We will see if we won. I hope so.

Sometimes it seemed like we dragged it out so blackwater and the oil companies could rape the treasury and iraqs oil. When we look back at all th mistakes and bad decisions, I promise we will all shake our heads and wonder if it was incompetence or on purpose.

Threatening to leave may have also helped? Not to mention Iraqi's want us gone. I remember someone a couple weeks ago saying Iraqis wanted us to stay. I knew that was only iraqis making money off us in the gren zone.

Malaki has an election coming up. Just like our politicians don't do shit for three years and then start trying right before an election. If they don't start showing progress, they won't get re elected.

I am curious if iraq will be a friend or foe in the future. We will see if we won. I hope so.

Sometimes it seemed like we dragged it out so blackwater and the oil companies could rape the treasury and iraqs oil. When we look back at all th mistakes and bad decisions, I promise we will all shake our heads and wonder if it was incompetence or on purpose.

Exactly what Oil did we steal? Provide some evidence this ever happened.

The Sunnis decided to take care of al queda before the surge.

Sadr and the Shiites decided to call a truce with us so we would leave. Plus we paid them millions.

2 million displaced iraqis living in neighboring countries, ran out of their country and 1 million dead.

I said this long ago and obama is trying to say it now, but the liberal media that loves him so much just keeps saying, obama won't admit the surge worked. It is just one reason violence is down.

Note that us leaving does not make mccain or bush happy. We built a huge embassy and I think the gop wanted to stay.

And it may be inevidable that sadr ends up ruling iraq. He was our enemy. Most wanted. But he is also very popular in iraq. And it is also inevidable that iran will be very influential in iraq. this was not part of mccan and bushs plan either. But trying to prevent that would have cost too many lives and too much money.

So for those of you that think I see everything in black and white, remember that when you say simply that , "the surge worked".

And even so, they're still in better shape than they were before!

Forum List

Back