An Uncomfortable Topic

Prince Yi Wu, grandson of Emperor Gojong, was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Japanese Imperial Army throughout the war.

He died due to the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. His body was immediately returned to Korea for a royal funeral attended by many Japanese dignitaries on the same day that Japan officially surrendered. His passing was considered that important.

His aide, a Japanese army officer, committed suicide shortly after his funeral out of guilt at failing to protect him.

I think the truth about the comfort women in the Japanese army is far removed from South Korea's portrayal. There were some cases of coercion and abuse, but not nearly as many as critics claim. I think Dr. Ikohiko Hata's research is the best available on the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRGZCRB/?tag=ff0d01-20

1. In 2020, the United States is one of the few countries that still make a big deal about prostitution.

a. Every year, thousands of men are arrested through entrapment. It's an easy arrest for cops.

2. Formerly, Americans were much more grownup about this matter.

a. I have read that during World War II, the Army in Hawaii set up brothels for soldiers. After all, they were going into battle and might never return.

3. And even though gay love was illegal and viewed with absolute horror, I have read that the federal government set up a gay brothel in New York City in World War II. Its clients were gay/bisexual sailors who worked on merchant ships. The goal was to get any helpful tidbits from them about the movements of the Axis powers.

Forum List

Back