An seaweed with bacon taste invented by American scientists

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
Finally! Seaweed that tastes like bacon

It's a small step for vegetarians, and a big step for the planet. Scientists at the University of Oregon Marine Research Center (US West Coast) have created a food that could revolutionize the way we eat: a red alga that tastes like bacon (when it is fried).

This new species, palmaria mollis, is a derivative of an existing one and already sold as a nutritional supplement. This alga, whose natural aspect is close to that of a lettuce, has the advantage of growing very fast (along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts) and of being rich in proteins and minerals. What motivate researchers to market directly in supermarkets.
For lovers and gourmands, the red alga can be declined in different aspects: raw, it is soft and slightly rubbery; fries, is lighter and crisp with its bacon flavor.

PHOTO. Une algue comestible au goût de bacon inventée par des scientifiques américains

It's a small step for vegetarians, and a big step for the planet. Scientists at the University of Oregon Marine Research Center (US West Coast) have created a food that could revolutionize the way we eat: a red alga that tastes like bacon (when it is fried).

This new species, palmaria mollis, is a derivative of an existing one and already sold as a nutritional supplement. This alga, whose natural aspect is close to that of a lettuce, has the advantage of growing very fast (along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts) and of being rich in proteins and minerals. What motivate researchers to market directly in supermarkets.
For lovers and gourmands, the red alga can be declined in different aspects: raw, it is soft and slightly rubbery; fries, is lighter and crisp with its bacon flavor.

PHOTO. Une algue comestible au goût de bacon inventée par des scientifiques américains
That's okay, I'll stick with bacon that tastes like bacon. :thup:

I agree and i love Bacon never try this i pretty sure it not exactly like bacon, impossible.

I'm more curious as to what it tastes like without the additional flavor.

I may have eaten seaweed in Korean or Japanese food once or twice, but I don't remember what it tasted like.

Pretty sure it wasn't red algae though.

I may have eaten seaweed in Korean or Japanese food once or twice, but I don't remember what it tasted like.

The link says that it tastes the same as bacon, I can not confirm I never taste.:dunno:

I agree and i love Bacon never try this i pretty sure it not exactly like bacon, impossible.

They tell us that vegburgers taste like hamburger. They don't. Pretty ghastly, actually.

Tastes just like chicken...... :eusa_whistle:

They tell us that vegburgers taste like hamburger. They don't. Pretty ghastly, actually.
Speaking of hamburger....... It's thawing as we speak. :thup:

I'd like mine bloody, please.

Red wings?

Red wings?

Burgers, man. Burgers.

This topic reminded me of a topic about zombies ...
Although...
The French eat smelly cheese with live worms ..
as well as frogs ...

--------------------------------------
Probably they eat and zombies

:CryingCow:

Although...
as well as frogs ...

Nan, i don't eat smelly cheese this is the cheese
470340853.jpg
i eat with my burger , bacon, oignon

Although...
as well as frogs ...

Nan, i don't eat smelly cheese this is the cheese
470340853.jpg
i eat with my burger , bacon, oignon
Okay...
I confused the French with the Italians ...
But ... in fact, in France there are such dishes that American or Russian do not even want to watch without tears ... I would say that they will not eat it
-------------------------------------------------- -
I will create a branch about "the strange food that Americans, Russians and Europeans eat" .. I believe that many people of this forum will be shocked
-----------------------------------------------------
By the way, the "cheese" that you showed on your photo is not cheese, but "cheese product".
- No natural cheese, never has such a nasty yellow color
- Any natural cheese has "holes" ... They are formed as a result of natural fermentation due to air bubbles

Last edited:

Forum List

Back