An open letter to suspend work on AI

Computer chess engines are tactical monsters ... nothing but combinations within combinations within combinations ... no wonder they beat humans now-a-days ...

Chess engines cannot play strategically ... humans can program strategy, but the computer cannot learn this ... try disabling the opening book and see if the engine ever answers 1) d4 with 1) ... e6 ... that's an extremely bad move tactically, the computer will never see it on her own ... yet this is the beginning of the Hypermodern Movement ... 100 years of over-the-board proof this opening is strategically sound ...

We're far far closer to human-created viruses than we are to a thinking machine ...

This is silly scary stuff. I truly do not believe a computer is intelligent, it is programmed. And I don't pretend to understand what AI really is, but we are not there yet. Don't be scared.
Frankly an overused simplistic term.
Especially when humans can't even produce a car without programming errors.

I would only identify AI as an independent sentient conciousness. Since we can't even define human consciousness it is purely ridiculous to believe we could program it artificially.

Forum List

Back