An Open Letter to Jon Stewart

People in showbiz change their names all the time to make them sound better. Why should Jewish people be any different?

Because Jews were doing it because they didn't want to be identified as Jews! I sympathize with Stewart, although I have never felt any real antisemtism as a kid and really I never feel it nowadays (unless on the internet) the presecution of Jews makes you want to change your name!

See homos like Shogun will not comprehend because they fall within the Jew hating segment that Stewart was talking about!

His given name is Jon Leibowitz. He changed it to Stewart for show biz.

I think his name is jon stewart liebowitz... he just dropped the last name. but it's not like he hides his background or anything.

I know that, he is proud of his heritage!

I guess I'm confused, why wouldn't you want your given name back in the professional world. Am I missing something?
Yeah. Marketing types call it "branding."

Now that Stewart's audience has associated that name with him, it would be silly to confuse them now. Not much more to it than that.

The Diurnal Show - nope doesn't work, Jon Stewart should keep it as it is.

Long story about the nick, but it involves me being unimaginative and a bit lazy, was asked for a nick and my eyes fell on a bottle of the stuff I was taking one time. As I've suggested elsewhere, I'm just glad my eyes didn't fall on a tube of Preparation H.

Vulgar I know but that's me, rough as guts :eek:

Long story about the nick, but it involves me being unimaginative and a bit lazy, was asked for a nick and my eyes fell on a bottle of the stuff I was taking one time. As I've suggested elsewhere, I'm just glad my eyes didn't fall on a tube of Preparation H.

LOL! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

LOL! Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

You're welcome.

I had a think. I may change my nick to Depends....:eusa_whistle:

Do folks not get the point of the article?

Many Jewish entertainers had to change their names to "Anglo-Saxon" ones to be "accepted" in the entertainment business.

He is saying, "Hey, it's 2009, take your name back now, be proud of your heritage!"

That's all fine and good (though you saw willi-ijit's response to that, eh?)... but I guess it's no different from Marion Michael Morrison (John Wayne) and Archibald Leach (Cary Grant) changing their names to sound better... and that had nothing to do with ethnicity.

John Couger-John Couger Mellencamp-John Mellencamp

I think the question we should also ask is, if it's ok for Jews to take "American" sounding names in order to fool people, is ok if I change my name to make people think I am Jewish?

Its OK for anyone to change to a Jewish name, but not you, because you are a bigoted moron and that doesn't jive with most Jews!

Does anyone watch Stewart? He is soooooo 2005.

Colbert now eclipses Stewart - and Colbert is in somewhat of a decline as well, to say nothing of Maher, who may not be picked up by HBO when his current contract expires.

Much easier to be a liberal comic when GB was in the White House...

I think you have it WRONG!

Online Poll: Jon Stewart Is America's Most Trusted Newsman : politics

Young Americans get their news from 'The Daily Show' | Article from Chicago Sun-Times | HighBeam Research
NEW YORK -- To a young generation of Americans, Jon Stewart may as well be Walter Cronkite.

A new study has confirmed surveys that suggest an increasing number of young adults are using late-night comedy and talk shows as their primary vehicle for getting their news.

Those same people are turning away from such traditional media outlets as newspapers and broadcast network newscasts, according to the Pew Research Center report, which queried

Both shows still get great ratings!

Bill Maher going of the air! I hope not. I don't care if he is liberal as hell, he is entertaining and I love his show.

And really, who gives a flying fuck about what Jon Stewart does, says or thinks?

all the guy does is read something someone else wrote for him and make weird faces at the camera.

Brilliant? I think not.

Come on now he took a floundering show and turned major cable powerhouse! That takes skill!

Don't get me wrong writing a joke takes talent and skill, but so does delivering it

While we're at it, could Bernie Goldberg change his name to something a little LESS Jewish- we're a little ashamed of him.

Forum List

Back