An open letter, to CIA, US Navy, and DOD, which need funds, for climate change intel:

bobgnote

Rookie
Nov 24, 2008
The following information may not have gotten through, to the CIA, at their website, since I kept getting an error message:

Hello, I am a US citizen, who has read: CIA Opens Center on Climate Change and National Security
September 25, 2009

https://www.cia.gov/news-informatio...-on-climate-change-and-national-security.html

I have also read, how the Company has to keep this quiet:

CIA Keeps Its Climate Work Under Wraps | Mother Jones

The CIA's Weather Underground | Mother Jones

So I wasn't able to find any reference, to this center, when I ran a search, at the CIA website, for any information, about climate change. Of course, I would normally visit NASA or AGU or NOAA or some magazine, like Nature or Physics Magazine, since I like to read serious studies and reports.

But for practical purposes, I feel compelled to use this form, to contact the agency, since climate change is obviously underway, past all tipping points, in the way, of runaway global warming. We may find ourselves in the difficult position, of whistleblower.

If we are to be whistleblowers, I recommend a loud burst, of this activity, to immediately direct strategic media. Losing is not an option.

Our recent solar cycles have been mild, including the current cycle 24, a lot of perennial cap and glacial ice has melted, and so global temperatures should be subject, to some sort of stabilizing counter-forcing. But temperatures have risen.

We are seeing more high temperature records, than low temperature records, and this trend will tend, toward 20-1, by 2050, and this may reach 50-1, by 2100. El Nino events will tend to overbalance La Nina events, progressively.

Natural disasters are up. This must continue. One big El Nino event, and the Sacramento area will flood. One earthquake, and it won't even take a really big event, to get the middle of California all wet.

The East Coast and Gulf areas are probably a write-off. It will take about a 1.6 C rise, to finish Greenland's ice, and we will likely see that surpassed, without solar intensity getting worse, but the intensity will certainly increase, while CH4 and more CO2 out-gas, from warming lands and waters, particularly in the Arctic. Then SLR will surely take the Atlantic coast and more.

Ordinarily, the Pleistocene-Holocene maximum for CO2 is 280 ppm, whereupon CO2 would slowly decrease, and temperatures would jump around, but decline, over 80-100K years, until CO2 reaches 180 ppm, and then CO2 and temperatures would shoot up, to the usual maximum area, which is where we are, today.

But somebody started burning a lot of wood, coal, and oil, while riding around in cars, to work in factories, or to cut forests, with chainsaws. Some of these people won't own up, to what happened, when people simultaneously increased emissions, with several different pollutants, while injuring CO2 respiration.

These people are severally seditious, and I think the CIA needs to notice their active tendency, to issue propaganda, which is similar, to flat-earth theory, but which is called "skepticism," and maybe some call their appetite for false media, 'conservatism.'

As a result, none of the 450,000 elected officials, in the USA is effectively planning, to engage CO2-neutral biomass OR to radically re-green, despite the urgency of need, for our security, against accelerating climate degeneration. We haven't even caught up to Henry Ford's hemp ethanol and plastic, evident since the Model T, or to his indestructible plastic, 1941, see YouTube.

We don't get to have calcified hemp hurds, to make termite-resistant houses and other structures. We also need switchgrass and algae, with ultrasound processing, to make ethanol. But we don't have a lot of this, or genetically engineered plants, to re-green deserts and polluted areas, which must be reclaimed, lest existing human habitats fail.

When the northern ice albedo (reflectivity) fails, northern summers will add a lot of warmth, while East Antarctic ice will eventually start sliding, into the warming oceans. SLR is already accelerating, so any increase in storm severity can wreck a lot of the US. Tornado alley now goes, from California, to Poland, no joke.

But when the heavier seas engage in such tidal lunacy, as precedes seismic and volcanic events, the volcano on the island of La Palma will erupt, one more time, which may be the eruption, which calves up to 1/3 of the island, into the Atlantic, which will swamp D.C. and most of the East Coast. How much will we get back, after that happens?

The oceans are acidifying, from absorbing too much CO2, which will upset the food chain, but when the oceans enlarge and warm, jellyfish will take over, as top predator, but any fish we eat will likely come from farms. When the oceans warm up, a lot, SLR will move, toward the 70 m level, which will be catastrophic, to any people, left alive.

Storms will be more numerous and powerful. But when that SLR squeezes off big volcanoes, we will enter into a phase, of severe disruption, of all human media. When Long Valley blows, the SW will be a mess.

But when Yellowstone blows, the US breadbasket will get taken out. I believe the reason the Russians once had a 50-megaton Tsar-bomba is they intended to cut into the Yellowstone magma chamber, with tactical nukes, and then they could detonate the big bomb, in the plume, right over the magma chamber, so any lahars or ash-fall would be deadly and pernicious.

Of course, some fallout would reach Europe and Asia, but the US would be destroyed, without even resorting to a lot of accurate targeting, by other ICBMs, if somebody targeted Yogi Bear, first. Good thing the Russians dismantled that Tsar-bomba.

To the point: I believe the anti-AGW skeptics are seditious, by degree. I don't see why they have gathered so much media, including opposition, to CIA funding, which has apparently forced the company to necessary silence, about the vital Center on Climate Change and N.S. That somebody got through the evil rip-offs and zombies, in the US, to make such a vital center is impressive, but this will continue to suffer funding difficulty, with the NOAA and any other vital agency, since funding is mis-allocated, by seditious profiteers.

If we stop all human emissions and start re-greening, now, SLR would still go up several feet. We need to be secure, here.

So I have some recommendations, and if you would like to reply, please engage my e-mail.

1. We have to remove people, from public media, who won't admit to climate change threats, especially if they pretend no global warming or human activity is related. These people are obtuse, in their denial, of circumstances and science, and they are now actively obnoxious and seditious, in a way, which is a lot more threatening, to national security, than any nut-job Marxists ever were:
a. don't underestimate nut-job Marxists, since the former Soviet Union was and Russia is an oil exporter, so advocates of Russian media do not actively oppose the US drug war, which prevents hemp, from its rightful place, in the US energy market;

2. We need to lose the war on drugs, ASAP. The inclusion of marijuana as a Schedule I drug was designed, to protect the petroleum and coal industries, from competition, while an enormously corrupt prison industry developed, so the US funds directly 25% of the world's detainees, while funding the drug war AND its carbon footprint, around the world, using the primary resources, of only 5%, of the world's population (US residents), in the course of corrupting all media agendas, so carbon emissions are severally multiplied, while funding for vital services is impaired (got funding troubles, hey now, we don't need anymore Op.FF fiascos, during a drug war);

3. We have to disassociate from seditious religions and their support for Israel, ASAP. Christians started easing into support, for the invasion of Palestine, as of the industrial revolution, and the 1882 invasion of Palestine, by Zionist settlers was the likely cause, of the Mahdi Rebellion, in Egypt, 1886. This trend will not desist. Israel is a nuisance, related to organized criminal media, generally, and to support Zionism and to guarantee Israel's defense and oil supply is a world-class nuisance, which continues to lead US failures, in the Middle East:
a. The US supports Sunnis, including as minority tyrants, such as Saddam in Iraq and the King of Bahrain, over Shiite majorities
b. I believe the CIA has in the past supported UBL, Saddam, and the Shah, which has failed, given US support for Israel and for corporate development, of national oil supplies
c. Some sort of failure will result, from US refusal, to recognize incompatible policies, which are all contributing, to consumption of sequestered carbon, while manipulating fossil fuel and other markets, which the US cannot control, since US oil production peaked, in 1970;

We must minimize our carbon footprint, re-green deserts and polluted areas, or we will lose human habitat, at a rate, which will force our ocean organisms into general extinction, but our human population and our culture will fail, in such a way, which will challenge US security, to its very limits, sooner, rather than later.

Extinctions are already 100x normal, but some estimates predict we will officially enter Mass Extinction Event 6, by 2022. If we fail to re-green, in an aggressive way, we can challenge the Permian-Triassic Extinction, 251-253 m.y.a., for the leading extinction event, of all time, but that event was enhanced, by some sort of strike, by a carbonaceous meteorite. Of course, never underestimate the ability of humans, to devise nuclear weapons and bad nuclear power plants, with bad cores and cooling systems!

We are out-gassing CO2, at about 10x the rate, preceding the PETM extinction, 56 m.y.a., and since we are out-gassing CH4, from Arctic areas, we have all the GHG preconditions met, to engage a high death toll, in the course, of a mass extinction event.

Of course, if humans keep on arguing, over practically everything, and corruption continues to rule, so cartels and gangs and their courts and lawyers are everywhere and anywhere, we are not likely, to minimize our carbon footprint, are we. So corruption and its carbon footprint has to go, while we need to get CO2-neutral biomass, going, already, and we need to re-green deserts and polluted areas. Any other course will lead to catastrophic failure, of human and animal habitat.

We need to grow hemp, in fertilizer-salted fields, and we need to grow switchgrass, on semi-arable lands. We can grow algae, by some kind of high-tech method. We need to put mangroves, in some places, and we need plants, unknown, to replace forests, damaged by alternating droughts and deluges, which made them susceptible, to beetle infestations and wild-fires.

Your thoughts, please! I hope you developed a sense of urgency, similar to mine, or national security is jeopardized.

Apparently, Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter and a host of other media 'conservatives' aren't being helpful. But I know one guy, who is a registered Republican, who leads, at finding scientific media, in my little group of AGW students. Another guy is probably a Democrat, while I tend to be a Green. Too bad all the Democrats in office come up with is cap-and-trade, since that leads to gridlock and boondoggle, with Republicans, who revel in devising media agendas, for the corrupt Democrats to imitate.

Gridlock and boondoggle is what the Democrats and Republicans thrive on. Help discourage this seditious, wasteful, big carbon-footprint behavior, since the warming and climate change tipping points are eluding our current media, of control. Human survival and US security will take a more aggressive approach, than having many geeks gather, to argue, over cap-and-trade or whether the heat waves, during mild solar cycles and record ice melts are indicative, of climate change. Hey! Climate is changing.

The US can fail, by large degrees, so let's go.

The following information may not have gotten through, to the CIA, at their website, since I kept getting an error message:

Hello, I am a US citizen, who has read: CIA Opens Center on Climate Change and National Security
September 25, 2009

https://www.cia.gov/news-informatio...-on-climate-change-and-national-security.html

I have also read, how the Company has to keep this quiet:

CIA Keeps Its Climate Work Under Wraps | Mother Jones

The CIA's Weather Underground | Mother JonesThe US can fail, by large degrees, so let's go.

One o' the perks?

The RED STATES (Home o' BIG OIL) are BURNING-UP!!!!!!!!!!

KARMA Time!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0i4Sx1edJE]Global Warming and George Bush - YouTube[/ame]​

hindukush_wide.jpg

Pentagon, CIA Eye New Threat:
Climate Change

eusa_doh.gif

Stupid Fuckin' Teabaggers

• Banned
June 26, 2008

National Intelligence Assessment finds that climate change poses national security threat | Grist

A National Intelligence Assessment of the security challenges presented by climate change, which Congress requested last year, has been completed, and the intelligence community has come to the same conclusion that many have before: Climate change poses a threat to national security.

The report looks at the national security implications of climate change through 2030, and concludes that changing weather patterns could contribute to political instability, disputes over resources, and mass migration, National Intelligence Council chairman Thomas Fingar told a joint meeting of the House Intelligence Committee and the Select Committee on Energy Independence and Climate Change today.

Congress was first briefed on the report last week; today’s hearing allowed the committee to question Fingar, Energy Department intelligence chief Rolf Mowatt-Larssen, and National Intelligence Council counsel Matthew Burrows and economics officer Karen Monaghan about the new report.

Fingar told the committees that their assessment, which used projections on climate change from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and U.S. government climatologists, found that water scarcity and decreased agricultural productivity could force migration, and that migration and resource scarcity “could cause or aggravate tensions between migrants and received populations.” Their report also finds that severe weather events could have significant economic costs, which could further destabilize affected regions.

“It would have wide-ranging implications for national security because it will aggravate existing problems,” said Fingar. The effects would be especially problematic in countries where governments are already unstable, Fingar added, with places like Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East, and Central and Southeast Asia being the most vulnerable to drought, flooding, extreme weather, and food shortages.

The 58-page report itself has been listed as a classified document, so it is not available to the public, a fact that representatives from both sides of the aisle criticized today. It was intended to be a declassified document, but the agencies involved maintain that elements included therein are too sensitive to make available to the public. Both Intelligence Committee member Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Select Committee Chair Ed Markey (D-Mass.) said they would issue requests to the appropriate agencies that the report be declassified.

The report is the result of a collaboration between the National Intelligence Council — which coordinates the work of 16 government intelligence agencies, including the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the military intelligence arms — and government science programs like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency, and the U.S. Climate Change Science Program.

Several Republican members of the committees raised questions as to the accuracy of the report’s projections, and suggested that the intelligence community should not have been tapped to work on this. “It’s a waste of time, a waste of resources for the intelligence committee to be working on this,” said Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.), ranking member of the Intelligence Committee.

Asked the level of confidence he has in the assessment, Fingar said his confidence was “low to moderate,” which provided fuel for Republican ire over the assessment. But as NIC’s Burrows pointed out later in the panel, their findings “may in fact be an underestimate” of the effects of climate change.

• Banned
Defense.gov News Article: Navy Task Force Assesses Changing Climate

WASHINGTON, July 31, 2009 – Rapidly diminishing sea ice, melting glaciers, rising sea levels, increased storm severity -- all are possible consequences of a climate that mounting evidence suggests is changing significantly.
As the scientific community works to understand the changing climate, the chief of naval operations has created a task force, headed by Rear Adm. David Titley, the Navy's senior oceanographer, to better understand and evaluate its implications for maritime security.

“Task Force Climate Change was initiated … to assess the Navy’s preparedness to respond to emerging requirements, and to develop a science-based timeline for future Navy actions regarding climate change,” Titley explained in a July 28 interview on Pentagon Web Radio’s audio webcast “Armed with Science: Research and Applications for the Modern Military.”

"Because the Arctic is changing faster than any other place on the planet, our first deliverable will be a strategic roadmap proposing actions for the Navy regarding the Arctic region,” Titley said.

This may include an assessment of how maritime strategy applies to the Arctic region, potential improvements in infrastructure, and recommended investments in force structure and capabilities to prepare for the challenges presented by the changing climate, he explained.

Titley was interviewed while staying in Barrow, Alaska, the northernmost city in the United States, located 350 miles north of the Arctic Circle, where he was joining Rear Adm. Nevin Carr, chief of naval research, for a visit to the Coast Guard Cutter Healy, an icebreaker supporting scientific research in the Arctic Ocean. The visit was intended to observe retrieval of several bottom-moored buoy sensors funded by the Office of Naval Research.

"Observations from these buoys will give us a better science-based and fact-based understanding of what is going on in the Arctic," Titley explained.

Global climate change may present many challenges to national security, Titley said. Rising sea levels from the melting of glacial and sea ice are of specific interest to the Navy due to the coastal location of many of its bases. “We need to understand what it will take to protect these valuable investments,” he said.

Increasing ocean temperatures may compound the problem. “As the ocean temperature warms, thermal expansion may be a significant … and under-estimated component of sea level rise,” Titley commented.

“We are also very interested in the distribution of extreme weather events,” Titley said, explaining that while the mean global temperature may be rising, some regions may experience extreme heating while others are seeing colder-than-normal temperatures.

Titley explained that changing ocean currents and precipitation patterns may produce regional droughts and floods that could have severe consequences for stressed and poor populations, who have the least ability to adapt to a quickly changing environment. “This could result in an increased potential for large-scale humanitarian assistance and disaster relief efforts,” he noted.

The Arctic already is experiencing dramatic changes. “Since satellite observations began in 1979, we have seen a 40 percent decrease in perennial, or multiyear, sea ice,” Titley said. This decline in sea ice, he added, is opening up the Arctic for more human activity, including resource exploration and ecotourism in the near term, and the potential for increased commercial shipping and fishing in the decades to come.

“As the climate changes and the sea lanes start to open, the United States Navy has a role to play in maritime security, working with our Coast Guard and international partners to ensure the sea lanes remain open and navigation is free for all,” Titley said.

Titley discussed the intricate dynamics of ocean currents influencing the changes that are occurring in the Arctic. “The more I learn about the complex Arctic environment,” he said, “the more I realize that we still have significant aspects of the basic oceanography to understand before we are going to be able to accurately forecast and model these interactions.”

The Navy has a long history of polar operations, Titley noted, and the earliest indications of decreasing ice thickness were reported by Navy submarines in the 1990s. Since then, he added, the Navy has funded various scientific studies there in collaboration with other federal agencies and numerous partners in the world of academia and research.

Titley pointed out that another example of collaboration is the National Ice Center, a joint operation among the Navy, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Coast Guard. The center charts sea ice worldwide for safety of navigation and operations, and their measurements have been crucial to quantifying the changes that are occurring in the Arctic, he said.

Titley said the Navy has many assets that can assist in understanding the changing climate. From a wide array of data-gathering sensors and platforms to super-computing facilities that process the data and create predictions, Navy assets continuously work to provide comprehensive knowledge of the physical environment.

“The naval oceanography program exists to provide environmental information to the operating fleet, allowing it to operate more safely and effectively,” Titley said.

“I like to say that we are operating in nature’s casino; I intend to count the cards,” he quipped.

Dear Mr. Nutjob,

Thank you for your long-winded rant, it was quite hilarious to us in the "Company." Did you get that nickname from some Hollywood movie? You need to leave your mom's basement and kiss a dog or something.

As to your letter, we are currently inside your home computer seeing what would make a nutjob like you say "Hello" to us. We will either decide to send men in white coats to take you away to the funny farm, send our James Bond secret agent to kill you or we will just laugh our ass off until we all die from brain damage.

Sincerely,

The Company

• Banned
National Intelligence Assessment on the Implications of Global Climate Change to 2030

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/202138-elmusa-fingartestimony.html

-----------------------------

Republicans in Congress are always trying, to cut this:

NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Climate Resrouces

------------------------------

The CIA's Weather Underground | Mother Jones

August 10, 2011

For Navy Capt. Tim Gallaudet, global warming isn't a political matter—it's a practical one. Over the next few decades, Arctic summers are expected to become ice-free, creating another ocean for the Navy to factor into its long-term planning. "The ice," he says, "doesn't vote."

Gallaudet, who holds a Ph.D. in oceanography, is the deputy director of the Navy's climate change task force, which was established in 2009. It's part of a growing effort by the military and intelligence communities to get a grip on the national security implications of global warming.

Not surprisingly, some of these programs have received a chilly reception from congressional Republicans. Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), one of Congress' fiercest opponents of taking official action on climate change, has made it his mission to kill the CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security; he once offered a budget amendment to shutter the office. "The CIA's resources should be focused on monitoring terrorists in caves—not polar bears on icebergs," he has said. Barrasso's measure failed, but other Republican lawmakers—including the chairman and ranking member of the House and Senate intelligence committees, respectively—have also expressed skepticism about the CIA's climate work.

Defense Science Board Report on Climate Change and Security: List of Recommendations « The Center for Climate & Security

In the 2012 U.S. State of the Union address, President Obama highlighted the role of the military in developing clean energy. This was a welcome mention. Building off of that, the military may also play a role in mitigating the risks of climate change. As we highlighted previously, late last year the Defense Science Board Task Force on Trends and Implications of Climate Change for National and International Security released a report outlining what the national security community could do to better prepare for and integrate the risks of climate change into operations and objectives. It’s a long, but very interesting list, which is likely to be reviewed by the U.S. Department of Defense in the coming months. Below is a summary of the recommendations, found on pages xvi – xxii. For the full report, click here:

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/dsb/climate.pdf

Summary of Recommendations:

Recommendations on the Climate Information and Modeling Needs

The President’s Office of Science and Technology Policy should expand on the Roundtable for Climate Information Services to:

Define requirements for information systems, catalog existing resources relevant to those requirements, identify gaps, and produce a conceptual roadmap for addressing those gaps.

Identify obstacles to sustained availability of climate information with international scope.
Define an operational framework for sustained translation of climate data records and other geophysical information into societal benefit metrics.

Identify approaches and mechanisms for providing sustained, timely, and actionable synthesis assessments focused on developing regions and locales beyond the current US focus, including options for growing in-country capacity.

The Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration should:

Work with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to conduct a renewed study of options for increasing the availability of low-cost, high-reliability launch vehicles for civil science satellites critical for climate observations.

Establish a mechanism for frequent reassessment (annual vs. decadal) of observational needs responsive to changing scientific understanding and impacts due to failures or funding, including an evaluation of impacts of such developments to the operational needs of the DOD.

The President’s Office of Science and Technology Policy should work with DOD, Department of State, and USAID to identify priorities for operational (distinct from research) climate data in priority regions.

Recommendations on Roles of the National Security Community

The Director of National Intelligence should:

Establish, within an appropriate agency of the Intelligence Community, an intelligence group to concentrate on the effects of climate change on political and economic developments and their implications for US national security.

– An important focus of this effort should be to project human security changes that could develop into national security issues.

– This group should make extensive use of open sources, seek to cooperate with other domestic and international intelligence efforts, and report most of its products broadly within government and nongovernmental communities.

The intelligence group should commission the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) Center for Climate Change and Security to produce an assessment of regional climate change hotspots that threaten human security and governmental legitimacy and exacerbate existing tensions. They should use this assessment as a confidence-building measure to promote communication between antagonistic peoples or states. This document should be the basis for interagency cooperation at the strategic and regional levels.

The President’s National Security Advisor, in conjunction with the Council on Environmental Quality, should establish an interagency working group to develop:

Coordinated climate change policies and actions across US governmental entities.
A whole of government approach on regional climate change adaptation with a focus on promoting climate change resilience and maintaining regional stability.

The President’s National Security Advisor should continue to emphasize strategic interagency documents, such as the guidance to the combatant commanders which details the link between climate change effects and the underlying conditions that terrorists seek to exploit and should direct relevant organizations to consider this relationship in developing their regional plans.

The Deputy Secretary of State and the Deputy Secretary of Defense should:

Follow the example of the successful foreign military training assistance program to fashion education and training programs in the fields most relevant to adapting to climate change, e.g., hydrology, civil engineering, construction, agriculture, biology, and public health.

Make conflict avoidance a priority in foreign assistance (including security assistance and foreign military sales), development, and defense concept development and planning.
Develop a strategic communication message that links water and food security and increased storm intensity to regional stability and US national security.
Recommendations on the Roles of the Department of Defense

The Deputy Secretary of Defense should:

Establish a DOD-wide coordinating policy board for climate change impacts on national security. This board’s function should include:

– A coordinating role on climate change information from the strategic and operational perspective. This would include assessing implications for the force structure, deployment options, etc.

– Compiling and assessing climate change effects information across the geographic combatant commands to identify implications for regional stability and the development of global and regional foreign military assistance programs.

– DOD’s interagency representative for climate change adaptation matters.

– Serving as the focal point for information, web-enabled, that can be accessed by other Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) offices as well as the Joint Staff, Services, and combatant commands.

Expand the authorities of the Operational Energy Plans and Program Office to include operational climate change issues.

Direct the establishment of a program of climate change adaptation pilot projects in concert with related programs at USAID and other agencies to identify, solicit, and fund pilot projects focused on specific adaptation sectors and locales (e.g., management of regions or villages in Africa and Central Asia). Examples of pilot projects and suggested activities might include, but not limited, to:- Embrace and augment the World Climate Research Program Coordinated Regional Climate Downscaling Experiment (CORDEX) for one of the sub-regions in Africa. Apply CORDEX in concert with an assessment activity similar to the Prediction of Regional Scenarios and Uncertainties for Defining European Climate Change Risks and Effects (PRUDENCE) project.

– Extend the observational, modeling, and synthesis assessment capabilities applied today in the United States in the Upper Colorado River Basin to a priority water resource district in Africa, perhaps linked to the Nile Basin Initiative.

- Apply coastal hot spot pilot projects focused on offering local-scale risk assessment and planning for integrated sea level and storm impacts on the coupled water-energy-waste resources and physical infrastructures for megacities such as Lagos, Karachi, and Dahka.

– Engage the United States Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) international research programs, DOD commands and their in-country security partners, and international aid agencies such as USAID in identifying opportunities to share climate change-related information and bringing more visibility into stakeholder’s activities.

– Focus on near-term, achievable, and measurable goals to develop and demonstrate end-to-end threads of core information systems while incrementally building in-country capacity and competence.

Office of the Secretary of Defense, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy and the Director, Joint Staff should direct development of a DOD strategic roadmap for climate change-related efforts that builds on the framework laid out in the US Navy Climate Change Roadmap to:

Ensure that the guidance to the combatant commanders, once signed, is considered to be adequate by the Services and combatant commands for translating the broad-level guidance offered in the Quadrennial Defense Review into actionable requirements.

Direct the combatant commands missions include non-combat support to address serious climate change-induced US national security vulnerabilities.

The Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Installations and Environment should assemble an inventory of critical facilities and infrastructure to include an assessment of vulnerability to climate change effects and the means to adapt.

The Director, Joint Staff should:

Create a holistic approach to climate change, integrating efforts of its relevant directorates: J2 (Intelligence), J4 (Logistics), J5 (Strategic Plans and Policy), and J8 (Force Structure, Resources, and Assessment Directorate).

Require that climate change and disaster risk reduction be integrated into training and exercises.

The Secretaries, Chiefs of the Services, and heads of defense agencies should:

Better integrate climate change and disaster risk reduction considerations into exercises, training, and educational materials.

Establish metrics focused on risk reduction to minimize the impact of climate change on military and support operations, forces, programs, and facilities.

Develop guidance to ensure climate change resilience in DOD project design standards for facilities and installations, with emphasis on the elements related to energy intensive and water intensive uses.

The Secretaries and Chiefs of the Services should:

Assess the Services’ engineering organizations and the cost-benefits of using them in assisting climate change adaptation.

Utilize military to military engagement opportunities with coalition partners to enhance resilience to climate change impacts and disaster risk reduction capacities. In so doing, they should expand consideration of roles for the National Guard and reserves. (For example, knowledge of traditionally non-military skills needed to respond to climate change threats is often found in the reserves.)

Examine tasking authorities for domestic and international response to natural disaster or other disaster risk response situations. For example, the National Guard could bring important assets to an international disaster, as it already does in responding to domestic disasters.

United States Northern Command, with support from the Navy and Coast Guard, should identify the assets that will be needed to operate in the Arctic to include communication assets, personnel training, ice breakers, and other equipment.

The geographic combatant commands should:

Identify early warning indicators for those areas critical to DOD’s mission set.
Incorporate the guidance from the Quadrennial Defense Review and DOD Strategic Guidance on energy, security, and climate change into theater campaign plans.
Create a demand signal by articulating the need to understand the implications of climate change and resource scarcities in their region to support their campaign plans.

The main reason for the change to alternative fuels by the DOD and the US govt. auto fleet is, the military has a scenerio they are prepairing for a war in the Middle East and they recon that oil will be cut off or not available for military use. Thus biofuel is the Navies main directive and liquification of coal is mostly to be used in the Air Force

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/documents/CCR.pdf

Executive Summary

Climate change is a national security challenge with strategic implications for the Navy.

Climate change will lead to increased tensions in nations with weak economies and political institutions.

While climate change alone is not likely to lead to future conflict, it may be a contributing factor. Climate change is affecting, and will continue to affect, U.S. military installations and access to natural resources worldwide. It will affect the type, scope, and location of future Navy missions.

The Navy Climate Change Roadmap outlines the Navy’s approach to observing, predicting, and adapting to climate change by providing a chronological list of Navyassociated action items, objectives, and desired effects for FY10-14. The Navy’s climate change mitigation efforts are not represented in this document as they will be addressed by the Navy’s Energy Strategy developed by Task Force Energy (TFE). This Climate Change Roadmap is intended as a companion document to the Navy Arctic Roadmap
of 2009, and its focus areas include:

• Strategy, policy, and plans
• Operations and training
• Investments in capability and infrastructure
• Strategic communications and outreach
• Environmental assessment and prediction

Navy action items and objectives within this roadmap are intended to achieve the
following desired effects:

• The Navy is fully mission-capable through changing climatic conditions while actively contributing to national requirements for addressing climate change
• Naval force structure and infrastructure are capable of meeting combatant commander requirements in all probable climatic conditions over the next 30 years
• The Navy understands the timing, severity, and impact of current and projected changes in the global environment
• The media, public, government, Joint, interagency, and international community understand how and why the Navy is effectively addressing climate change
• The Navy is recognized as a valuable joint, interagency, and international partner in responding to climate change
This roadmap specifies Navy actions over three phases – FY10 (phase 1), FY11-12 (phase 2), and FY13-14 (phase 3). Significant action items in phase 1 include:
• Inclusion of climate change impacts on national security in Naval War College coursework
• Commence defining the requirements of a next generation operational and climatic environmental prediction capability

Phase 2 (FY11-12) significant actions include:
• Incorporation of climate change considerations in strategic guidance documents, such as the Navy Strategic Guidance in support of Program Review 2013 (PR13) and the Navy Strategic Plan in support of the Navy’s Program Objective Memorandum for FY14 (POM-14)
• Development of recommendations to address climate change requirements in Sponsor Program Proposals for POM-14
• Formalizing new cooperative relationships that increase Navy’s capability to assess, predict, and adapt to climate change
• Inclusion of climate change considerations in fleet training and planning Phase 3 (FY13-14) significant actions include:
• Execution of the Navy POM-14 budget initiatives that address climate change
• Initiation of intergovernmental, multilateral, and bilateral activities which increase the Navy’s ability to assess, predict, and adapt to climate change Director of Task Force Climate Change (TFCC) will provide the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) and the Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) reports semi-annually or as
required on the progress of action items in this roadmap using both activity-based and effects-based metrics. TFCC will review and revise this roadmap every four years following promulgation of the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) and will incorporate QDR guidance as appropriate.

(continued)

http://www.cnas.org/files/documents...ore_Rogers_Jan2010_code406_workingpaper_2.pdf

--------------------

http://www.acq.osd.mil/dsb/reports/ADA552760.pdf

---------------------

May 3, 2012

Defense.gov News Article: Panetta: Environment Emerges as National Security Concern

Climate and environmental change are emerging as national security threats that weigh heavily in the Pentagon’s new strategy, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta told an environmental group last night.

Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta speaks at an annual reception for the Environmental Defense Fund at the Renwick Gallery in Washington D.C., May 2, 2012. Panetta thanked the organization for recognizing Defense Department efforts to make military bases and equipment more efficient and environmentally friendly.

“The area of climate change has a dramatic impact on national security,” Panetta said here at a reception hosted by the Environmental Defense Fund to honor the Defense Department in advancing clean energy initiatives. “Rising sea levels, severe droughts, the melting of the polar caps, the more frequent and devastating natural disasters all raise demand for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief,” Panetta said.

Panetta cited the melting of Arctic ice in renewing a longstanding call for the Senate to ratify the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea. More than 150 nations have accepted the treaty, which has been in force since the early 1990s, and a succession of U.S. government administrations have urged ratification.

Among other things, the convention would guarantee various aspects of passage and overflight for the U.S. military. Panetta urged his audience to use their influence to push for treaty ratification. “We are the only industrialized nation that has not approved that treaty,” he said.

The secretary also said he has great concern about energy-related threats to homeland security that are not driven by climate change.

“I have a deep interest in working to try to ensure from a security perspective that we take measures that will help facilitate and maintain power in the event of an interruption of the commercial grid that could be caused, for example, by a cyber attack which is a reality that we have to confront,” he said.

Budget considerations compound the issue, the secretary said. The Defense Department spent about $15 billion on fuel for military operations last year. In Afghanistan alone, the Pentagon uses more than 50 million gallons of fuel each month on average. Combined with rising gas prices, this creates new budget issues for the department, Panetta said.

“We now face a budget shortfall exceeding $3 billion because of higher-than-expected fuel costs this year,” he told the audience.

Having grown up in pristine Monterey, Calif., Panetta said, he has a lifelong interest in protecting the nation’s resources. He pledged to continue to keep the Defense Department on the cutting edge in the push for clean energy and environmental friendly initiatives, a chief reason why the Environmental Defense Fund honored the department.

“In the next fiscal year, we are going to be investing more than a billion dollars in more efficient aircraft and aircraft engines, in hybrid electric drives for our ships, in improved generators, in microgrids for combat bases and combat vehicle energy-efficient programs,” he said. “We are investing another billion dollars to make our installations here at home more energy-efficient, and we are using them as the test bed to demonstrate next-generation energy technologies.”

--------------------------

Republicans:

GOP senators blast Pentagon climate change activism on week of bin Laden memo release | The Daily Caller

“The area of climate change has a dramatic impact on national security,” The Hill reported Panetta said on Friday. “Rising sea levels, severe droughts, the melting of the polar caps, the more frequent and devastating natural disasters all raise demand for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.”

According to The Hill, the event was to honor the Pentagon for their clean-energy strategies.

In the wake of news about Panetta’s speech, in which he reportedly promised that his agency would lead the change in America’s energy usage, Republican Sens. John Barrasso of Wyoming and James Inhofe of Oklahoma expressed disappointment in what they see as a misplacement of priorities.

Barrasso urged that the Pentagon focus more on protecting the country than on climate change.

“The Department of Defense should focus on continuing to do what it was created for — to protect the security of our country. A job it does well,” he told The Daily Caller. “It would be a terrible mistake to allow the debate over climate change to distract our military men and women from the very critical work of keeping Americans safe.”

Inhofe was similarly put off and encouraged more congressional oversight of the agency’s energy policies.

“The real threat to national security are policies that force DOD to expend increasing amounts of its scarce resources on extremely expensive alternative energy, when President Obama has gutted the defense budget by a half trillion dollars over the next 10 years. DOD is already drastically cutting its personnel, the number of brigade combat teams, tactical fighters and airlift aircraft,” he said. “It is cutting or postponing programs such as the C-27, Global Hawk Block 30, C-130 avionics modernization, the F-35, the littoral combat ship, the next generation ballistic missile submarine and ground combat vehicles. Forcing DOD to expend more money on expensive alternative fuels further exacerbates its budget issues.”

When asked for comment, the Pentagon asserted that bin Laden’s assumptions were flawed and reasserted Panetta’s interest in finding solutions to the country’s energy needs.

Read more: GOP senators blast Pentagon climate change activism on week of bin Laden memo release | The Daily Caller

-------------------------

Hella spending, on piddle, without relief, from the goddamned DRUG WAR:

Federal government spent nearly $70 billion on ‘climate change activities’ since 2008 | The Daily Caller

The Congressional Research Service estimates that since 2008 the federal government has spent nearly $70 billion on “climate change activities.”

Oklahoma Republican Sen. James Inhofe presented the new CRS report on the Senate Floor Thursday to make the point that the Obama administration has been focused on “green” defense projects to the detriment of the military.

The report revealed that from fiscal years 2008 through 2012 the federal government spent $68.4 billion to combat climate change. The Department of Defense also spent $4 billion of its budget, the report adds, on climate change and energy efficiency activities in that same time period.

Inhofe, the Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works and a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, argued that the expenditures are foolish at a time when the military is facing “devastating cuts.”

---------------------

Hiow about if the elected dickbag ends the drug war and grows HEMP, switchgrass, and algae? THEN assess the costs, after doing something cost-effective!

IEA - Renewable energy

Let's save a few billion. Legalize hemp, grow it, with switchgrass and algae, process the stuff, and the Armed Forces will have all the biofuel they need.

--------------------------

The Legend of Pine Ridge: CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security: Global Warming Is Spreading Disease

anopholes-mosquito%255B1%255D.jpg

SUNDAY, JANUARY 23, 2011
CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security: Global Warming Is Spreading Disease

One of the most worrisome national security threats of climate change is the spread of disease, among both people and animals, U.S. intelligence and health officials say.

But more than a decade after such concerns were first raised by U.S. intelligence agencies, significant gaps remain in the health surveillance and response network - not just in developing nations, but in the United States as well, according to those officials and a review of federal documents and reports.

And those gaps, they say, undermine the ability of the U.S. and world health officials to respond to disease outbreaks before they become national security threats.

"We're way behind the ball on this," said Josh Michaud, who has worked at the Defense Department's National Center for Medical Intelligence and its Global Emerging Infections Surveillance and Response System. "It's a collective action problem."

Michaud said monitoring currently was done largely through publicly available medical information and mathematical modeling, but that's hardly enough to spot sudden disease trends quickly.

U.S. intelligence officials list the spread of disease as one of their top four climate change-related security concerns, along with food and water scarcity and the impact of extreme weather on transportation and communications systems. Outbreaks of disease can destabilize foreign countries, especially developing nations, overtax the U.S. military and undermine social cohesion and the economy at home.

In coming decades, more heat, humidity and rainfall could allow mosquitoes, ticks, and other parasites and carriers of tropical and subtropical diseases to spread to areas where they didn't exist previously, infecting populations that haven't built up resistance to them, intelligence and health officials say.

Malaria, cholera and other diseases are now being seen in parts of Asia and Africa where they weren't detected previously, something experts attribute to climate change. Dengue fever returned to the United States in 2009 after a 75-year absence - and might spread to 28 states, according to a Natural Resources Defense Council study.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/10/2573276/climate-change-reveals-disease.html#

Defense Science Board Report on Climate Change and Security: List of Recommendations « The Center for Climate & Security

In the 2012 U.S. State of the Union address, President Obama highlighted the role of the military in developing clean energy. This was a welcome mention. Building off of that, the military may also play a role in mitigating the risks of climate change. As we highlighted previously, late last year the Defense Science Board Task Force on Trends and Implications of Climate Change for National and International Security released a report outlining what the national security community could do to better prepare for and integrate the risks of climate change into operations and objectives. It’s a long, but very interesting list, which is likely to be reviewed by the U.S. Department of Defense in the coming months. Below is a summary of the recommendations, found on pages xvi – xxii. For the full report, click here:

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/dsb/climate.pdf

Summary of Recommendations:

Recommendations on the Climate Information and Modeling Needs

The President’s Office of Science and Technology Policy should expand on the Roundtable for Climate Information Services to:

Define requirements for information systems, catalog existing resources relevant to those requirements, identify gaps, and produce a conceptual roadmap for addressing those gaps.

Identify obstacles to sustained availability of climate information with international scope.
Define an operational framework for sustained translation of climate data records and other geophysical information into societal benefit metrics.

Identify approaches and mechanisms for providing sustained, timely, and actionable synthesis assessments focused on developing regions and locales beyond the current US focus, including options for growing in-country capacity.

The Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration should:

Work with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to conduct a renewed study of options for increasing the availability of low-cost, high-reliability launch vehicles for civil science satellites critical for climate observations.

Establish a mechanism for frequent reassessment (annual vs. decadal) of observational needs responsive to changing scientific understanding and impacts due to failures or funding, including an evaluation of impacts of such developments to the operational needs of the DOD.

The President’s Office of Science and Technology Policy should work with DOD, Department of State, and USAID to identify priorities for operational (distinct from research) climate data in priority regions.

Recommendations on Roles of the National Security Community

The Director of National Intelligence should:

Establish, within an appropriate agency of the Intelligence Community, an intelligence group to concentrate on the effects of climate change on political and economic developments and their implications for US national security.

– An important focus of this effort should be to project human security changes that could develop into national security issues.

– This group should make extensive use of open sources, seek to cooperate with other domestic and international intelligence efforts, and report most of its products broadly within government and nongovernmental communities.

The intelligence group should commission the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) Center for Climate Change and Security to produce an assessment of regional climate change hotspots that threaten human security and governmental legitimacy and exacerbate existing tensions. They should use this assessment as a confidence-building measure to promote communication between antagonistic peoples or states. This document should be the basis for interagency cooperation at the strategic and regional levels.

The President’s National Security Advisor, in conjunction with the Council on Environmental Quality, should establish an interagency working group to develop:

Coordinated climate change policies and actions across US governmental entities.
A whole of government approach on regional climate change adaptation with a focus on promoting climate change resilience and maintaining regional stability.

The President’s National Security Advisor should continue to emphasize strategic interagency documents, such as the guidance to the combatant commanders which details the link between climate change effects and the underlying conditions that terrorists seek to exploit and should direct relevant organizations to consider this relationship in developing their regional plans.

The Deputy Secretary of State and the Deputy Secretary of Defense should:

Follow the example of the successful foreign military training assistance program to fashion education and training programs in the fields most relevant to adapting to climate change, e.g., hydrology, civil engineering, construction, agriculture, biology, and public health.

Make conflict avoidance a priority in foreign assistance (including security assistance and foreign military sales), development, and defense concept development and planning.
Develop a strategic communication message that links water and food security and increased storm intensity to regional stability and US national security.
Recommendations on the Roles of the Department of Defense

The Deputy Secretary of Defense should:

Establish a DOD-wide coordinating policy board for climate change impacts on national security. This board’s function should include:

– A coordinating role on climate change information from the strategic and operational perspective. This would include assessing implications for the force structure, deployment options, etc.

– Compiling and assessing climate change effects information across the geographic combatant commands to identify implications for regional stability and the development of global and regional foreign military assistance programs.

– DOD’s interagency representative for climate change adaptation matters.

– Serving as the focal point for information, web-enabled, that can be accessed by other Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) offices as well as the Joint Staff, Services, and combatant commands.

Expand the authorities of the Operational Energy Plans and Program Office to include operational climate change issues.

Direct the establishment of a program of climate change adaptation pilot projects in concert with related programs at USAID and other agencies to identify, solicit, and fund pilot projects focused on specific adaptation sectors and locales (e.g., management of regions or villages in Africa and Central Asia). Examples of pilot projects and suggested activities might include, but not limited, to:- Embrace and augment the World Climate Research Program Coordinated Regional Climate Downscaling Experiment (CORDEX) for one of the sub-regions in Africa. Apply CORDEX in concert with an assessment activity similar to the Prediction of Regional Scenarios and Uncertainties for Defining European Climate Change Risks and Effects (PRUDENCE) project.

– Extend the observational, modeling, and synthesis assessment capabilities applied today in the United States in the Upper Colorado River Basin to a priority water resource district in Africa, perhaps linked to the Nile Basin Initiative.

- Apply coastal hot spot pilot projects focused on offering local-scale risk assessment and planning for integrated sea level and storm impacts on the coupled water-energy-waste resources and physical infrastructures for megacities such as Lagos, Karachi, and Dahka.

– Engage the United States Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) international research programs, DOD commands and their in-country security partners, and international aid agencies such as USAID in identifying opportunities to share climate change-related information and bringing more visibility into stakeholder’s activities.

– Focus on near-term, achievable, and measurable goals to develop and demonstrate end-to-end threads of core information systems while incrementally building in-country capacity and competence.

Office of the Secretary of Defense, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy and the Director, Joint Staff should direct development of a DOD strategic roadmap for climate change-related efforts that builds on the framework laid out in the US Navy Climate Change Roadmap to:

Ensure that the guidance to the combatant commanders, once signed, is considered to be adequate by the Services and combatant commands for translating the broad-level guidance offered in the Quadrennial Defense Review into actionable requirements.

Direct the combatant commands missions include non-combat support to address serious climate change-induced US national security vulnerabilities.

The Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Installations and Environment should assemble an inventory of critical facilities and infrastructure to include an assessment of vulnerability to climate change effects and the means to adapt.

The Director, Joint Staff should:

Create a holistic approach to climate change, integrating efforts of its relevant directorates: J2 (Intelligence), J4 (Logistics), J5 (Strategic Plans and Policy), and J8 (Force Structure, Resources, and Assessment Directorate).

Require that climate change and disaster risk reduction be integrated into training and exercises.

The Secretaries, Chiefs of the Services, and heads of defense agencies should:

Better integrate climate change and disaster risk reduction considerations into exercises, training, and educational materials.

Establish metrics focused on risk reduction to minimize the impact of climate change on military and support operations, forces, programs, and facilities.

Develop guidance to ensure climate change resilience in DOD project design standards for facilities and installations, with emphasis on the elements related to energy intensive and water intensive uses.

The Secretaries and Chiefs of the Services should:

Assess the Services’ engineering organizations and the cost-benefits of using them in assisting climate change adaptation.

Utilize military to military engagement opportunities with coalition partners to enhance resilience to climate change impacts and disaster risk reduction capacities. In so doing, they should expand consideration of roles for the National Guard and reserves. (For example, knowledge of traditionally non-military skills needed to respond to climate change threats is often found in the reserves.)

Examine tasking authorities for domestic and international response to natural disaster or other disaster risk response situations. For example, the National Guard could bring important assets to an international disaster, as it already does in responding to domestic disasters.

United States Northern Command, with support from the Navy and Coast Guard, should identify the assets that will be needed to operate in the Arctic to include communication assets, personnel training, ice breakers, and other equipment.

The geographic combatant commands should:

Identify early warning indicators for those areas critical to DOD’s mission set.
Incorporate the guidance from the Quadrennial Defense Review and DOD Strategic Guidance on energy, security, and climate change into theater campaign plans.
Create a demand signal by articulating the need to understand the implications of climate change and resource scarcities in their region to support their campaign plans.

This leftwing hack pretends to be an independant....LOLOLOLOL

This "legendofpineridge" blogger posts the shizzle:

The Legend of Pine Ridge: "The Usual Suspects": Global Warming and Climate Change

70117827.9sncIWKk.DetailofFamineMemorialinPhiladelphia%255B1%255D.jpg

"Environmental issues have long been recognized as key to understanding what might happen in unstable countries. In the 1990s, while spies studied such things as North Korean crop yields, attempting to anticipate where shortages could lead to instability, the CIA also shared a trove of classified environmental data with scientists through a program that became known as Medea.

'The whole group (of scientists) were patriots and this was an opportunity to help the country do something about the train wreck (we) saw coming' from climate change, said Robert Bindschadler, a glaciologist at NASA who received a security clearance when Medea started in 1992.

Cleared scientists also helped the CIA interpret environmental data and improve collection methods, former CIA Director John Deutch said in a 1996 speech."---McClatchy (1-10-11)

The Director of the CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security recently gave a briefing at the Pew Charitable Trusts on the CIA's efforts to meet the national security challenges posed by global warming and climate change. The briefing was limited to the policy community and reporters.

Still, the public can learn about the views of the CIA's Director of the Center on Climate Change and National Security by reading an interview he gave journalism students Charles Mead and Annie Snider, who are researching global warming.

According to the CIA's Director on Climate Change and National Security, Pakistan's catastrophic floods are a harbinger of climate change.

In an article titled "Why the CIA Is Spying on a Changing Climate" (McClatchy, 1-10-11) the journalism students report:
"[Pakistan's torrential floods have] the exact same symptoms you would see for future climate change events, and we're expecting to see more of them," he said later, agreeing to talk only if his name were not revealed, for security reasons. "We wanted to know: What are the conditions that lead to a situation like the Pakistan flooding? What are the important things for water flows, food security … radicalization, disease" and displaced people?

As intelligence officials assess key components of state stability, they are realizing that the norms they had been operating with — such as predictable river flows and crop yields — are shifting.

This leftwing hack pretends to be an independant....LOLOLOLOL

Psst! Retard! You don't have to quote the whole fucker and then rant up some goddamned downie shit. We don't spell it, "independant," faggot.

Since you are the stupidest retard, in the State of Ohio, I suppose I have to remind you, when you rant up shit, you are supposed to back it up. That means you have to point out some part of the comment, which is "leftwing," you dipshit wingpunk.

The Legend of Pine Ridge: Larry Kobayashi, Director of the CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security, Briefs the Pew Charitable Trusts

ice_age_two_the_meltdown_ver6_xlg%255B1%255D.jpg

On January 13, 2011, the Pew Project on National Security, Energy & Climate in Washington D.C. held a briefing by Larry Kobayashi, the Director of the CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security.

PEW events are generally only open to journalists and the policy community, but I will post a transcript of the briefing if it becomes available. [See information on the CIA's efforts to meet the challenges of climate change and global warming on my previous two posts.]

To learn what the CIA thinks about climate change read "Our Man in the Greenhouse: Why the CIA is Spying on a Changing Climate." A very similar story was published by McClatchy (1-10-11), and they have a video interview that works.

Pew (1-13-11) reports:

Founded in 2009, the charter of the CIA's Center on Climate Change and National Security is not the science of climate change, but the national security impact of phenomena such as desertification, rising sea levels, population shifts, and heightened competition for natural resources. The Center provides support to American policymakers as they negotiate, implement, and verify international agreements on environmental issues.

The Pew Project on National Security, Energy and Climate is an initiative of the Pew Environment Group, and is dedicated to highlighting the critical linkages among national security, energy independence, the economy and climate change. The Pew Project brings together military, security, and scientific experts to examine new strategies for combating climate change, protecting our national security, increasing our energy independence and preserving our nation's natural resources.

In order to get company time, we have to look around. It's kind of like Groundhog's Day. Phil the G-hog doesn't want to get stepped on, by some Republican, so he either sees his shadow, or he doesn't, and it's back down the hole.

What if we need the gub-mint to actually get it on, without worrying, about some crazy media distortionists coming after the funding? Just asking . . .

Forum List

Back