An M.D.: Why I chose home schooling

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "My View: Why I chose home schooling
By Bethany Gardiner, Special to CNN

Editor’s Note: Bethany M. Gardiner, M.D., is a pediatrician and author of “Highlighting Homeschooling,” which guides parents through the educational options available to them and their children.

2. As a pediatrician, I was a dedicated career woman and never thought much
about the schooling options of either my children or my patients. I was a product of public schools and assumed the traditional schooling model was fine.

3. ...as I listened to my patients and their parents, I realized there was a theme being repeated many times...stressed about their fast-paced lives and the futility of being forced into a box of expectations... trying to challenge children that are bored in class, arguments about an ADHD diagnosis, to the hours of homework and busywork that intruded upon family time, parents were feeling overwhelmed ...

4. ...I myself was losing a family-centric lifestyle, struggling against the demands of an outside system while trying to balance a career and my family. I knew that to impact my family and children in the most positive way possible, I needed to take control of my children’s education and tailor it to meet their needs and those of my family.

5. By participating in their education, I could teach a love of learning and a passion for education that I saw missing in most of my patients that went to traditional brick and mortar schools. And while meeting the needs of my children, I could also improve my family life by adding to the time that we spent together rather than taking away from it.

6. If you are like I was in the beginning, you might be attracted to the idea of
home schooling for the benefits, but still worried about whether it is for you. You might be worried that you are not a trained teacher, or patient and creative. Rest assured, I quickly learned that I was not very patient or creative either, but all I needed was the already present love for my children and the desire to see them reach their fullest potential.

7. ... it does take some time, but when you think that you don’t have to wash uniforms, drive back and forth to school, or participate in school fundraisers, it isn’t all that much more time and add in that you will be able to meet the needs of your children better than any institution ever can.

8. Home schooling becomes a lifestyle that will draw your family together, while
traditional schools are a separating force,
... With home schooling, you can tailor the work time to fit in with the family instead of making the family conform around the needs of others.... Learning can be extended effortlessly into all aspects of life from errands to vacations....removal of the one-size-fits-all classroom mentality leads to a highly tailored educational experience for your child. There is time for side trips according to their interests.

9.... removal of the one-size-fits-all classroom mentality leads to a highly tailored educational experience for your child. There is time for side trips according to their interests. "
My View: Why I chose home schooling – Schools of Thought - CNN.com Blogs

Amen to that, sister!

The more right wingers spend doing home schooling, the more job opportunities for the rest of America.

Structured homeschooling gets an A+Home, public education compared by Concordia and Mount Allison University study

.Montreal, September 8, 2011 — "There's no place like home," an iconic line uttered by Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, might apply to learning the ABC's, math and other core subjects. A new study from Concordia University and Mount Allison University has found that homeschooling — as long as it's structured or follows a curriculum — can provide kids with an academic edge.

"Structured homeschooling may offer opportunities for academic performance beyond those typically experienced in public schools," says first author Sandra Martin-Chang, a professor in the Concordia Department of Education, noting this is among the first nonpartisan studies to investigate home education versus public schooling.

Published in the Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science, the investigation compared 74 children living in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick: 37 who were homeschooled versus 37 who attended public schools. Participants were between 5 and 10 years old and each child was asked to complete standardized tests, under supervision of the research team, to assess their reading, writing, arithmetic skills, etc.

"Although public school children we assessed were performing at or above expected levels for their ages, children who received structured homeschooling had superior test results compared to their peers: From a half-grade advantage in math to 2.2 grade levels in reading," says Martin-Chang. "This advantage may be explained by several factors including smaller class sizes, more individualized instruction, or more academic time spent on core subjects such as reading and writing."

The research team also questioned mothers in both samples about their marital status, number of children, employment, education and household income. The findings suggest that the benefits associated with structured homeschooling could not be explained by differences in yearly family income or maternal education.

Structured homeschooling gets an A+

The more right wingers spend doing home schooling, the more job opportunities for the rest of America.

Methinks you would have benefited from a bit of it.....

rdean would have benefitted from any kind of education at all, instead of being locked in a kennel with nothing but partisan talking points to eat.

Hold on, Unky.....

...realize that without folks like deanie we on the Right would be living in the same kind of echo-chamber that the Left lives in...

Coulter: "Let me give you a little tip: if you want liberalism to continue in this country, you have to realize that liberal students are being let down by their professors! They have liberal school teachers, and read the liberal press! Because of this weak preparation, they are unable to argue, to think beyond the first knee-jerk impulse. They can’t put together a logical thought. Now, compare that to a college Republican…"

He's the Yin to our Yang.....

Fine for those with the time, ability and patience, but it doesn't seem like the answer to childhood education for most.

Fine for those with the time, ability and patience, but it doesn't seem like the answer to childhood education for most.

Government schooling is cheaper for most....but it doesn't seem like the answer to childhood education for most.

I'd agree with this. For the folks willing to do it and willing to really work at it, it IS a very rewarding process and very successful. Some of the very best mathematics students I've seen have come out of home schooling.

On the other hand, I've heard horror stories from public school teachers about home schooled kids where the parents didn't work at it and eventually gave up. The students are frequently lost on every metric they have to evaluate a student.

It's something where if you're willing to commit and do a good job at it, I'd recommend it. If you can't, for one reason or another, look for an option that will work best for your family.

My son is coming up on the Kindergarten decision soon. I imagine we'll go with private school, which is a painful choice for me. I was a public school kid, but I'm realizing more and more as the years go by that my public school was the exception in terms of excellence rather than the rule.

Dean you are such a hack. Or are you just taking up some of the liesmatters slack? since when are home schoolers only right wingers?

I'd agree with this. For the folks willing to do it and willing to really work at it, it IS a very rewarding process and very successful. Some of the very best mathematics students I've seen have come out of home schooling.

On the other hand, I've heard horror stories from public school teachers about home schooled kids where the parents didn't work at it and eventually gave up. The students are frequently lost on every metric they have to evaluate a student.

It's something where if you're willing to commit and do a good job at it, I'd recommend it. If you can't, for one reason or another, look for an option that will work best for your family.

My son is coming up on the Kindergarten decision soon. I imagine we'll go with private school, which is a painful choice for me. I was a public school kid, but I'm realizing more and more as the years go by that my public school was the exception in terms of excellence rather than the rule.

Make the painful choice and send them to private school. :thup:

I'd rather see children home schooled that raised how Charles Manson was raised. Liberals home school too you know. they really do. I've known some. My daughter's sister-in-law for one. Best thing she could had done for her son. He is getting all A's in highschool and going on to college.

You can put down stay at home moms or home schoolers all you want too, jackass, but the fact is "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." Remember it.

I'd rather see children home schooled that raised how Charles Manson was raised. Liberals home school too you know. they really do. I've known some. My daughter's sister-in-law for one. Best thing she could had done for her son. He is getting all A's in highschool and going on to college.

You can put down stay at home moms or home schoolers all you want too, jackass, but the fact is "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." Remember it.

I'm a member of several home school organizations....and liberal home schoolers and 'unschoolers,' also very liberal, far and away outnumber conservatives...

...but, of course, this is NYC.

All parents should home school, especially if their children are attending public schools which are largely controlled by liberals and the unions. Parents of children in public schools have so much to correct they have to homeschool their children.

As for job opportunities, the dropout rate guaranteed by the liberals means plenty of people on welfare, plenty of people unemployeed, and plenty of Democrat voters voting repeatedly.

The problem is finding a liberal who wants to work.

1. "My View: Why I chose home schooling
By Bethany Gardiner, Special to CNN

Editor’s Note: Bethany M. Gardiner, M.D., is a pediatrician and author of “Highlighting Homeschooling,” which guides parents through the educational options available to them and their children.

8. Home schooling becomes a lifestyle that will draw your family together, while
traditional schools are a separating force,
... With home schooling, you can tailor the work time to fit in with the family instead of making the family conform around the needs of others.... Learning can be extended effortlessly into all aspects of life from errands to vacations....removal of the one-size-fits-all classroom mentality leads to a highly tailored educational experience for your child. There is time for side trips according to their interests.

9.... removal of the one-size-fits-all classroom mentality leads to a highly tailored educational experience for your child. There is time for side trips according to their interests. "
My View: Why I chose home schooling – Schools of Thought - CNN.com Blogs

Amen to that, sister!

Thanks for sharing. I agree.

Forum List

Back