An intimate moment with Rick Perry

Pointing out that you've made two different arguments that can't both be true at the same time isn't arguing semantics, it's arguing logic. Asking why Perry, who's running for President, increased debt in Texas is an asinine question? Seems like a pretty logical question when we're currently mired in debt.

Hey dumbass an explanation IS an answer.

It is asinine when it's based on false information.

The debt increased under Rick Perry. That isn't false information.

No one has disputed that. However the numbers the kid gave were false.

And if you or anyone wants to give creedence to what Bill White says then you're about as stupid as they come.

Pointing out that you've made two different arguments that can't both be true at the same time isn't arguing semantics, it's arguing logic. Asking why Perry, who's running for President, increased debt in Texas is an asinine question? Seems like a pretty logical question when we're currently mired in debt.

The opinion that they "can't both be true" is the fallacy in your logic.

Perry tried to correct the false premise of the question, the kid cut him off mid sentence, then Perry asked if the kid would allow him to answer the question. The kid started a different question which I've pointed out twice now and you have ignored.

Therefore, Perry both attempted to correct the questioner and was also not permitted to correct the false statement and answer using accurate information.

Because he didn't start a different question. From the kid's blog:

"I found the debt numbers at Politifact from Bill White, who quotes the Texas Bond Review Board. I asked Perry about the raw numbers, which show that in 2000 Texas state debt was $13.7B, and by 2009 that number had grown to over $34B (Mitchell Schnurman found more recent numbers for 2010: $37B.). Bill White at Politifact adjusted for inflation and found the debt merely doubled under Perry."

Rick Perry Afraid of Rick Perry (Update) « Ad Libertad

This is what he was trying to tell Perry. I don't know where you got him asking a different question.

That makes it even worse..since he knew for a fact that it was only double.

Perry took office Dec. 21, 2000 — nearly five months into fiscal year 2001. At the end of that year, Texas had $13.7 billion in outstanding bonds and notes. Adjusting for inflation, that would have equaled $16.6 billion in 2009.​

16.6 billion isn't "almost triple" 34 billion.

That makes him a liar.

Plus he knew the reason, which I have quoted twice from Politifact in this thread.

So basicly this kid is a douche.

Kudos to Perry for pegging him a lying douche in less than 2 seconds.

Last edited:
"What I asked Governor Perry was “Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?” As you can see, he immediately tried to excuse away the numbers."

That would be because it's not true...imagine that.

The Texas debt has doubled since 2001, not tripled.

And the reason is, according to Politifact, that infrastructure borrowing was allowed for the first time by voter referendum:
It turns out that transportation is responsible for most of the added debt load under Perry, increasing from basically nothing in 2000 to $11.8 billion outstanding as of Aug. 31 2009. That's because before 2001, the Texas Department of Transportation lacked the authority to borrow money to pay for road projects. Voters gave it that power in 2001 when they approved a constitutional amendment that Perry supported.

So the kid was wrong, and when Perry tried to explain the truth, the kid cut him off.

He had an agenda based on false information.

This is fine.

Most states separate capital spending from consumption spending. They allow debt on capital projects and a balanced budget on consumption. I think the budgets should be balanced over a cycle, but conceptually, there is nothing wrong with this. Debt is the primary source of finance for capital projects for corporations. And what matters is debt to GDP. So if nominal GDP doubled and so did debt, then the state is just as indebted.

Last edited:
Perry was right, the kid was wrong.

How exactly is that trying to "excuse the numbers"?

Perry tried to explain that the kids numbers were wrong and the kid would have none of it.

Perry was smart to walk away...how do you have an intelligent conversation with someone who is 100% wrong yet insists they are 100% right?

You can't.

If the kid really wanted an answer, he would have allowed Perry to give him one...the kid had an agenda based on faulty numbers. Period.

The kid tried to state his source for his numbers after Perry said he didn't know where he got the numbers from. That's not exactly refusing to let Perry answer, the way Perry tried to twist it. Maybe he didn't triple the debt, but he did double it, and it's clear from the video that he wanted no part of discussing the numbers.

It didn't matter what his sources were from, they were wrong!

And you cannot answer a question based on false information.

You can say, "Your sources are wrong."

"What I asked Governor Perry was “Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?” As you can see, he immediately tried to excuse away the numbers."

That would be because it's not true...imagine that.

The Texas debt has doubled since 2001, not tripled.

And the reason is, according to Politifact, that infrastructure borrowing was allowed for the first time by voter referendum:
It turns out that transportation is responsible for most of the added debt load under Perry, increasing from basically nothing in 2000 to $11.8 billion outstanding as of Aug. 31 2009. That's because before 2001, the Texas Department of Transportation lacked the authority to borrow money to pay for road projects. Voters gave it that power in 2001 when they approved a constitutional amendment that Perry supported.

So the kid was wrong, and when Perry tried to explain the truth, the kid cut him off.

He had an agenda based on false information.

So as governor, Perry is not responsible? Hmmm, who was governor before him? Was he responsible?

RICK PERRY made a campaign stop the other day at Iowa City's Hamburg Inn #2, a small diner renowned as a destination for presidential hopefuls. Tipped off by a friend employed there, I wandered over and scored a seat just before the crowd of media and curious locals started to push up against the fire code. I found myself seated across from Drew Hjelm, a University of Iowa undergraduate studying economics and information systems. Mr Hjelm told me he had voted for Ron Paul at the Ames Straw Poll on Saturday. He sported a mises.org rubber bracelet and was not impressed with Mr Perry's small-government credentials. As we waited for Mr Perry to wend his way through the crowd toward our booth I joked with a friend about questions to ask the governor of Texas: "Why are you so handsome?" "What conditioner do you use?" "George W. Bush: Great president or greatest president?" Mr Hjelm, it turns out, had a serious question for Mr Perry. When Mr Perry got to our table, Mr Hjelm put it to the governor. I happened to catch Mr Perry's somewhat brusque reaction on video:

[youtube]-RV9OhSkoeU[/youtube]

Iowa 2012: An intimate moment with Rick Perry | The Economist

This is hilarious. I just saw this clip on TV with the camera pulled farther back. It happened just before this clip. You could see the guy to right standing in the picture. They looked like they were in a restaurant of some kind in front of the cake and coffee counter. Rick Perry was eating a piece of cake and, get this, someone in the background was shouting, "Let them eat cake", "Let them eat cake", "Don't tax the rich, tax the middle class so they can eat cake". It was too, too funny.

I don't know, the kid wouldn't let him answer.

So I guess you can do what most liberals do which is to speculate and then claim it as fact.

Kevin's not a liberal. He's far worse.

Kevin's a classical liberal, the most consistent classical liberal I've seen here.

He's one of my favourite posters.

I like and respect Kevin as well.

We agree much more than we disagree.

And when we disagree, we present our position with civility. :thup:

We clearly see the real Rick Perry for what he is in this video. The college student apparently did his homework studying up on the Texas debt record numbers before quizing Rick Perry about it. Rick Perry is obviously frustrated and refuses to answer the question from the student. I think this is in bad taste what Perry did to the student and I think this video should be spread everywhere.

The student named Mr. Hjelms asked this:

“Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?”

This is a challenging line of questioning, but it was set forth politely, and I would have liked to have heard Mr Perry’s reply. Mr Perry had started to say “I don’t know where…” and then changed course. When Mr Hjelms talked over him to cite his source, replying to what he took to be the thrust of Mr. Perry’s abandoned first response, and when he continued to try to say where he got his numbers, Mr. Perry used the opportunity to act as though Mr. Hjelms was not actually interested in a response and moved on. “You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about, brother”, he added in valediction, which is somewhat ironic, as Mr. Hjelms was trying to explain how he knew what he was talking about.

Debt-Chart-1-e1314143894707.jpg

Watch Perry poke innocent college student
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RV9OhSkoeU&feature=player_embedded]Rick Perry brushing off University of Iowa student - YouTube[/ame]

On the other hand watch how Governor Sarah Palin treats a person when he confronts her with a political issue. See the constrast between the two? In Perry’s case, the citizen gets a finger poke, in Palin’s case, he gets a hug!

Gov. Palin talks with Nicholas Tucker - YouTube

We clearly see the real Rick Perry for what he is in this video. The college student apparently did his homework studying up on the Texas debt record numbers before quizing Rick Perry about it. Rick Perry is obviously frustrated and refuses to answer the question from the student. I think this is in bad taste what Perry did to the student and I think this video should be spread everywhere.

The student named Mr. Hjelms asked this:

“Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?”

This is a challenging line of questioning, but it was set forth politely, and I would have liked to have heard Mr Perry’s reply. Mr Perry had started to say “I don’t know where…” and then changed course. When Mr Hjelms talked over him to cite his source, replying to what he took to be the thrust of Mr. Perry’s abandoned first response, and when he continued to try to say where he got his numbers, Mr. Perry used the opportunity to act as though Mr. Hjelms was not actually interested in a response and moved on. “You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about, brother”, he added in valediction, which is somewhat ironic, as Mr. Hjelms was trying to explain how he knew what he was talking about.

Debt-Chart-1-e1314143894707.jpg

Watch Perry poke innocent college student
Rick Perry brushing off University of Iowa student - YouTube

On the other hand watch how Governor Sarah Palin treats a person when he confronts her with a political issue. See the constrast between the two? In Perry’s case, the citizen gets a finger poke, in Palin’s case, he gets a hug!

Gov. Palin talks with Nicholas Tucker - YouTube

Oh you big fucking baby. THIS is what you want to whine about? Perry touched the guys chest with his finger. It was hardly the devastating chest poke you are crying in your Wheaties about.

Grow a pair.

Forum List

Back