we're making a list
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice
The Green Machine is coming to town
We sees you when you're sleeping
We know when you're awake
We know if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

I attended a forum several years ago during which a young PhD addressed a similar topic. Not only light bulbs can have unique IP addresses, but toasters and other appliances. Practically any electrical device for that matter.

He stressed the importance of internet usage having open access, open source, and open system.
I jotted that down in my notes and later approached him with the idea for an anacronym.
Open A-S-S.
He wasn't amused.

They just changed my elctric meter to a "smart" meter.

You know what they're doing?

Setting us up for charging us different rates for electicity based on when we use it.

Count on that.

Probably not entirely a bad idea, actually.

Once people get used to the idea that electicity has different costs at different times of the day, they're start changing the way they use it.

Last edited:

Setting us up for charging us different rates for electicity based on when we use it.

Count on that.

Once people get used to the idea that electicity has different costs at different times of the day, they're start changing the way they use it.

Works for me

I'm willing to put things off to less expensive times

• Banned
I attended a forum several years ago during which a young PhD addressed a similar topic. Not only light bulbs can have unique IP addresses, but toasters and other appliances. Practically any electrical device for that matter.

He stressed the importance of internet usage having open access, open source, and open system.
Of course.

And a federal mandate also requiring manufacturers to have a kill switcvh for all communication devices.

The better the control you with.

Count on that.

If memory serves, our electric company had (has?) a program that lowers charges you less during off-hours if you join it (but more during peak hours).

that would be 'off peak' JB, something of a thing of the past. they haven't installed one in my area since 1987, the jist was having heavy loads timed to lower overall poco infastructure woes.

these days , they're doing quite the opposite. for instance , if you peak during any given time in a month's billing cycle, they may place you into a commercial rate catagory.

fyi, many poco's out there have rate schedules that could leave a new yawk lawyer mumbling.

this considered, the smart metering is all the rage of the green machine advocates, and the usual technocrats, being foisted as intensive monitoring= potential for savings.

Electrical Contractor: A Smart Start: Metering

but you see, that works both ways....

we got your IP, we know your a mess
your meter just sent an e-mail confess
Green Machine is comming to town!

Forum List

Back