An interesting question in regards to the use of drones

Ignoring for the moment the slippery slope argument you post, I suspect if an organization such as AQ attacked Putin's Russia the reaction of the Kremlin would be at the minimum similar to the Obama Administrations effort to eradicate the rats in Pakistan.

I don't recall your moral outrage when the Bush Administration sent cruise missiles into urban areas in Iraq in an effort (successfully I should add) to kill the sons of Saddam Hussein. Today one more head of the AQ snake was cut off.

I say Well Done! Why don't you?

So you don't have a problem with Putin unilaterally deciding who is or isn't a terrorist, whether they get to live or die, and then drone bombing them and any number of potential innocent civilians? What about Assad? Should he be able to unilaterally decide who is or isn't a terrorist?

Don't build a straw dog; don't put words in my mouth. I frame my opinion based on the Catholic Doctrine of a Just War:

https://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/pol116/justwar.htm

I would have been 14 when Bush invaded Iraq, so I'm not surprised you don't recall my moral outrage at the time. However, I can assure you that I opposed the Iraq war from the very beginning.

Our perspective is quite different, I was 19 when I enlisted in the Navy in 1967. I learned to hate that war, and war in general. I am not however a pacifist and never have been. A sucker punch deserves, no demands, a response. I applaud what Obama's Administration is doing in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan I only wish he could carry on without boots on the ground.

You never really answered his question on how you would feel about Putin bombing people on US soil.

The same govt that conducted "Fast and Furious" is gonna' tell us that they blew up a terrorist on US soil based on secret info that they can't show us because "It's Classified".

I figger they'll blow up a Bank robber first just to get Americans used to it.

One afternoon on a 24hr news network of your choice there will be the usual interstate highway chase, when all of a sudden, BAM!!!!! 89 Ford Explorer is demolished by a drone strike.
That's all it will take to get the GP's approval.

:eusa_eh:

Ignoring for the moment the slippery slope argument you post, I suspect if an organization such as AQ attacked Putin's Russia the reaction of the Kremlin would be at the minimum similar to the Obama Administrations effort to eradicate the rats in Pakistan.

I don't recall your moral outrage when the Bush Administration sent cruise missiles into urban areas in Iraq in an effort (successfully I should add) to kill the sons of Saddam Hussein. Today one more head of the AQ snake was cut off.

I say Well Done! Why don't you?

So you don't have a problem with Putin unilaterally deciding who is or isn't a terrorist, whether they get to live or die, and then drone bombing them and any number of potential innocent civilians? What about Assad? Should he be able to unilaterally decide who is or isn't a terrorist?

Don't build a straw dog; don't put words in my mouth. I frame my opinion based on the Catholic Doctrine of a Just War:

I would have been 14 when Bush invaded Iraq, so I'm not surprised you don't recall my moral outrage at the time. However, I can assure you that I opposed the Iraq war from the very beginning.

Our perspective is quite different, I was 19 when I enlisted in the Navy in 1967. I learned to hate that war, and war in general. I am not however a pacifist and never have been. A sucker punch deserves, no demands, a response. I applaud what Obama's Administration is doing in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan I only wish he could carry on without boots on the ground.

I'm not attempting to put words into your mouth, but I did ask certain questions in posting this thread and I'm trying to see where people stand on them.

I'm familiar with Just War Theory, but I don't see how you can apply it to Obama's drone war against "terrorists" and innocent civilians.

The same govt that conducted "Fast and Furious" is gonna' tell us that they blew up a terrorist on US soil based on secret info that they can't show us because "It's Classified".

One afternoon on a 24hr news network of your choice there will be the usual interstate highway chase, when all of a sudden, BAM!!!!! 89 Ford Explorer is demolished by a drone strike.

As outspoken as I am about the sheepery of this country, I don't buy that. It would take a lot more than just that. In fact that would probably lead to a pretty huge shit storm that would make the aftermath of the Rodney King incident pale in comparison.

President Obama swore he would get the terrorists where they are hiding

Job well done

You never really answered his question on how you would feel about Putin bombing people on US soil.

LOL. No I didn't answer a question never asked. As for Assad, he is a war criminal and his days are numbered.

I'm not attempting to put words into your mouth, but I did ask certain questions in posting this thread and I'm trying to see where people stand on them.

I'm familiar with Just War Theory, but I don't see how you can apply it to Obama's drone war against "terrorists" and innocent civilians.

IMO President Obama's intentions are "right" and the targets are not indiscriminant nor directed at civilians. See the bullet points in the link provided for clarity.

IMO President Obama's intentions are "right" and the targets are not indiscriminant nor directed at civilians. See the bullet points in the link provided for clarity.

Maybe you missed this.

“Militants”: media propaganda - Salon.com

You don't have to tell me any of this. I just wonder how all of the partisan Democrats are going to like it when the next Republican President starts assassinating people like Obama does.

I hope they do it. It will save trooper lives in the long run.

You can achieve that without murdering people by not sending troops over there in the first place.

true, but a well entrenched entitlement society known as the military industry doesn't think so.

LOL. No I didn't answer a question never asked. As for Assad, he is a war criminal and his days are numbered.

He asked if you had a problem with it, and all you did was play devils advocate and rationalize such a situation from Russia's POV.

Would you personally have a problem with Russian drone strikes in the US or not?

Will it be on Pay Per View?

Maybe you missed this.

Yep, I don't read salon.co. The link isn't very good, I couldn't scroll down to read the entire article though I tried several times. I don't know if Militants are AQ or innocent civilians but I have to believe Obama is making every effort to avoid killing civilians.

I'm sure the President is cognizant of how targeting civilians would be reported in our press and in the press of other nations - doing so would not benefit him or our cause (cause being our self defense).

Maybe you missed this.

Yep, I don't read salon.co. The link isn't very good, I couldn't scroll down to read the entire article though I tried several times. I don't know if Militants are AQ or innocent civilians but I have to believe Obama is making every effort to avoid killing civilians.

I'm sure the President is cognizant of how targeting civilians would be reported in our press and in the press of other nations - doing so would not benefit him or our cause (cause being our self defense).

Making every effort? He's basically taken on a policy of assumption in drone strikes that anyone in a vicinity of a target could only possibly be a terrorist and nothing else.

That's making "every effort"?

He asked if you had a problem with it, and all you did was play devils advocate and rationalize such a situation from Russia's POV.

Would you personally have a problem with Russian drone strikes in the US or not?

Yep, I'd have a problem if Russian began to strike our country with drones. Do you see that as likely? Since were out on the fringe, what if Putin invaded the U.S. because nineteen Costa Ricans stole a plane and flew it into the Kremlin. How would you feel?

Yep, I'd have a problem if Russian began to strike our country with drones. Do you see that as likely? Since were out on the fringe, what if Putin invaded the U.S. because nineteen Costa Ricans stole a plane and flew it into the Kremlin. How would you feel?

You're hitting the wrong person with that scenario. I'm not a supporter of either of our 2 recent full scale invasions.

Making every effort? He's basically taken on a policy of assumption in drone strikes that anyone in a vicinity of a target could only possibly be a terrorist and nothing else.

That's making "every effort"?

You know this because you have a seat when the President discusses such actions with the Joint Chiefs?

Maybe you missed this.

Don't know why the site wouldn't work for you. It can be summed up with:

To avoid counting civilian deaths, Obama re-defined "militant" to mean "all military-age males in a strike zone"

This information came out of the New York Times report last week.

You're hitting the wrong person with that scenario. I'm not a supporter of either of our 2 recent full scale invasions.

I'm not either. I do support targeting AQ and killing - taking out - the command and control of their forces. If Pakistan won't, Obama has said we will. I support him in that effort and I did not support the foolish invasion of Iraq.

Forum List

Back