An Interesting Paradox.

gettinthere

Rookie
Feb 28, 2017
The TRUTH can sometimes be offensive to most people. But in such cases where the truth is offensive to most, there is no place that I have found where it can be spoken. At least not for very long. There are sections around here where sometimes such topics can basically be spoken, but swept under a rug. Viewable only to members who are signed in. But in my opinion, that is a pretty disgusting way to treat the truth. No matter what it is. Though I have to admit, at some of the other forums I have been at, the truth has received far worse treatment.

Get, Your English teacher will collapse of a heart attack after reading your opening sentence.

"Only someone miraculously innocent of history could believe that competition among ideas could result in the triumph of truth" John Gray

"An awkward, unscientific lie is often as ineffectual as the truth." Mark Twain

"Day follows day, and its contents are simply added. They are not themselves true, they simply come and are. The truth is what we say about them." William James

"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." Friedrich Nietzsche

The early Skeptics around the time of Plato and perhaps even including him struggled with perception and reality.

Their challenge for "what is truth" came from their doubt regarding the accuracy of our senses of perception.

This was a crisis all the way up to the time of Rene Descartes. Descartes settled it finally -- there is at least one thing that we cannot doubt -- that we are thinking. Therefore we exist.

The British Empiricists then and now warn against excessive doubting.

They posit that perception is at least what it is -- the recognition of outside stimuli like light, sound, energy, resistance, smell, taste which prove something is emanating something to us.

And thanks to the Hubble Space Telescope we have seen the images of billions of galaxies just like our own, billions of light years away.

Due to the time it takes for starlight to reach us, we cannot know or tell if we are alone in the Universe right now. However it does seem unlikely that the God(s) (see San Tomas Aquinas' 5 proofs of God) would invest all Their energy only in us here on this Earth.

"What is Truth?"

I think there is objective truth, otherwise known as scientific fact that can be tested and proven over and over again to be true. Everything else is subjective truth that to some extent depends on your perspective.

"What is Truth?"

I think there is objective truth, otherwise known as scientific fact that can be tested and proven over and over again to be true. Everything else is subjective truth that to some extent depends on your perspective.
There is no such thing as "scientific fact".

Data are facts.

Science uses data to infer explanations.

But only a moron would confuse these explanations with facts.

"What is Truth?"

There is no such thing as "scientific fact".

Data are facts.

Science uses data to infer explanations.

But only a moron would confuse these explanations with facts.

A fact is something that has occurred or is correct. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability—that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experiments or other means).

Was it necessary to imply that I am a moron? Doesn't do much to bolster your post.

What is "truth"?
I like this definition:

the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality.

Forum List

Back