An interesting observation

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I live in a mostly white, middle-class neighborhood and town. However, I'm not that far away from some poorer, minority dominated areas and once in a while, I find myself picking up a few items in a grocery or drug store in one of these areas out of convenience. My observation is this: Stuff costs more in the poor neighborhoods. Everything. Milk, bread, eggs, tylenol, baby food, you name it. Sometimes the disparity is significant like just a few days ago when I spent $17 for a 1oz bottle of infant mylecon that i can get for $14 at my local drug store. Just one more example of how poor people get the screwgie I suppose.

I live in a mostly white, middle-class neighborhood and town. However, I'm not that far away from some poorer, minority dominated areas and once in a while, I find myself picking up a few items in a grocery or drug store in one of these areas out of convenience. My observation is this: Stuff costs more in the poor neighborhoods. Everything. Milk, bread, eggs, tylenol, baby food, you name it. Sometimes the disparity is significant like just a few days ago when I spent $17 for a 1oz bottle of infant mylecon that i can get for $14 at my local drug store. Just one more example of how poor people get the screwgie I suppose.

Wow, you're getting raped for Mylecon.

Was it a regular store or a convenience store?

I know if the store has to deal with higher rates of shoplifting/security issues the prices can go up.

Do you take stupid pills or does it just come naturally? :cool:

See, Mani, this is an example of what I was talking about regarding the :cool: icon. Yeah, it's a joke, but it's also an insult and she no doubt believes it.

Do you take stupid pills or does it just come naturally? :cool:

Well since you know everything, you should already know the answer to your question.

Now my question would be what kind of store did you buy in. My experience is the big chains and National chains do not build in certain neighborhoods and leave when they change. Leaving small mom and pop stores to do the business, those kind of stores cost more to buy at. Further depending on neighborhood one pays more insurance then the other. And of course a lot of Convenience stores exist in those neighborhoods and all of them charge more to boot.

See, Mani, this is an example of what I was talking about regarding the :cool: icon. Yeah, it's a joke, but it's also an insult and she no doubt believes it.

What, that he's stupid or he takes stupid pills?

I usually use the ;) but I'm still pretty p'oed at the dillhole.

Well since you know everything, you should already know the answer to your question.

Now my question would be what kind of store did you buy in. My experience is the big chains and National chains do not build in certain neighborhoods and leave when they change. Leaving small mom and pop stores to do the business, those kind of stores cost more to buy at. Further depending on neighborhood one pays more insurance then the other. And of course a lot of Convenience stores exist in those neighborhoods and all of them charge more to boot.

Wow, I know everything or did you quote the wrong poster?

Why?

Is this a widely known fact or something? I wouldn't have known about it if I hadn't observed it for myself.

i honestly did NOT know this....i know i would have remembered that fact...!

its distressing to hear about things like this.....but what we don't know is who is raking whom, over the coals?

for example, if these are black owned businesses, is it them? Or is it not them, but the people who sell to them wholesale?

or, if the wholeseller...is it done because of race? the higher price?

orrrrrrrrrr, is it because they are a small business and do not buy in bulk like a chain store would do or a walmart would do?

care

ALSO, store insurance rates are much higher in this higher risk area, this gets reflected in prices.... but their rent should be cheaper and compensate?

shoot! i did not see your post, but this is exactly what i was thinking!

gotta rep ya! :)

care

i honestly did NOT know this....i know i would have remembered that fact...!

its distressing to hear about things like this.....but what we don't know is who is raking whom, over the coals?

for example, if these are black owned businesses, is it them? Or is it not them, but the people who sell to them wholesale?

or, if the wholeseller...is it done because of race? the higher price?

orrrrrrrrrr, is it because they are a small business and do not buy in bulk like a chain store would do or a walmart would do?

care

I like to think it is your last option, I am the original eternal optimist.

Forum List

Back