An interesting comparison from a Conservative Columnist about the "Tea Party"...

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
This was an interesting Op-Ed from conservative columnist David Brooks the other day. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

In it, he compares the "Tea Party" to 60's radical anarchists.

(excerpt from Op-Ed Columnist - The Wal-Mart Hippies - NYTimes.com )

About 40 years ago, a social movement arose to destroy the establishment. The people we loosely call the New Left wanted to take on The Man, return power to the people, upend the elites and lead a revolution.

Today, another social movement has arisen. The people we loosely call the Tea Partiers also want to destroy the establishment. They also want to take on The Man, return power to the people, upend the elites and lead a revolution.

There are many differences between the New Left and the Tea Partiers. One was on the left, the other is on the right. One was bohemian, the other is bourgeois. One was motivated by war, and the other is motivated by runaway federal spending. One went to Woodstock, the other is more likely to go to Wal-Mart.

But the similarities are more striking than the differences. To start with, the Tea Partiers have adopted the tactics of the New Left. They go in for street theater, mass rallies, marches and extreme statements that are designed to shock polite society out of its stupor. This mimicry is no accident. Dick Armey, one of the spokesmen for the Tea Party movement, recently praised the methods of Saul Alinsky, the leading tactician of the New Left...

Last edited:
  • Banned
Guess this thread isn't confrontational enough...

What if I call some public figure an "asshat"? Will that draw folks in to talk about this?

I don't see why any person or group exercising their constitutional rights to assembly and free speech is controversial at all.

• Banned
I don't see why any person or group exercising their constitutional rights to assembly and free speech is controversial at all.

It's not the exercising of the rights to free speech, it's the fundamental belief in anarchy that both groups share.

In other words, it's not the actions, so much as the motivations.

At least, that's what I got out of it.

It's not the exercising of the rights to free speech, it's the fundamental belief in anarchy that both groups share.

I have to disagree with the belief in anarchy thing.

I am a small government guy to the nth degree not an anarchist and I am more of a libertarian than any tea party person I have ever met

This was an interesting Op-Ed from conservative columnist David Brooks the other day. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

About 40 years ago, a social movement arose to destroy the establishment. The people we loosely call the New Left wanted to take on The Man, return power to the people, upend the elites and lead a revolution.

Today, another social movement has arisen. The people we loosely call the Tea Partiers also want to destroy the establishment. They also want to take on The Man, return power to the people, upend the elites and lead a revolution.

There are many differences between the New Left and the Tea Partiers. One was on the left, the other is on the right. One was bohemian, the other is bourgeois. One was motivated by war, and the other is motivated by runaway federal spending. One went to Woodstock, the other is more likely to go to Wal-Mart.

But the similarities are more striking than the differences. To start with, the Tea Partiers have adopted the tactics of the New Left. They go in for street theater, mass rallies, marches and extreme statements that are designed to shock polite society out of its stupor. This mimicry is no accident. Dick Armey, one of the spokesmen for the Tea Party movement, recently praised the methods of Saul Alinsky, the leading tactician of the New Left...

human_be-in_po3opt.jpg

leary_cover.gif

Interesting assessment, that is One Man's view.

This statement sort of derails the train for Me personally. ....

But the core commonality is this: Members of both movements believe in what you might call mass innocence. Both movements are built on the assumption that the people are pure and virtuous and that evil is introduced into society by corrupt elites and rotten authority structures. “Man is born free, but he is everywhere in chains,” is how Rousseau put it.

Off track. Man is Imperfect, that is partly why We have Laws and Government. Most Religions teach that. We have measure of both Virtue and Vise, that ain't going to be changing anytime soon. I support the efforts of Anyone compelled to act non-violently, on Their Civic concerns, Right, Center, or Left, If You have something to say, say it, It builds spine.

You labeled Brooks a conservative columnist. You're kidding - right?

His description of the tea party movement isn't even close.

Individual People may tend towards Anarchy, It's wrong to assume either camp in the mainstream is interested in that direction at all. True it would be the end result of a total melt down of society as a whole, but it sure ain't pretty to look at. We are talking more "Last Man Standing" than "Xanadu".

There are two kinds of people who think David Brooks is a conservative: leftists and everyone else who's severely retarded.

You labeled Brooks a conservative columnist. You're kidding - right?

His description of the tea party movement isn't even close.

David Brooks is definitely a conservative columnist.

He has been for decades. Read some of his stuff, you'll see what I mean.

There are two kinds of people who think David Brooks is a conservative: leftists and everyone else who's severely retarded.

Well I imagine the first part of your statement to be true...

If you are so far to the radical right that you consider 90% of the population to be "leftist".

As for the second part of your statement: pot, meet kettle.

But the core commonality is this: Members of both movements believe in what you might call mass innocence. Both movements are built on the assumption that the people are pure and virtuous and that evil is introduced into society by corrupt elites and rotten authority structures. “Man is born free, but he is everywhere in chains,” is how Rousseau put it.

Off track. Man is Imperfect, that is partly why We have Laws and Government. Most Religions teach that. We have measure of both Virtue and Vise, that ain't going to be changing anytime soon. I support the efforts of Anyone compelled to act non-violently, on Their Civic concerns, Right, Center, or Left, If You have something to say, say it, It builds spine.

You know.....that part you hilighted is really interesting. Why? Because the tea party movement believes that mankind is ANYTHING BUT innocent. If they believed in innocence, why do they use such disgusting signs to make their point? Why would they do some of the crap they've done?

By the way.......did you hear about the dude with Alzheimer's who showed up at a healthcare rally? Know what they did to him? Ridiculed and humiliated him.

Yeah.....right.......the tea partiers are hippies and Hitler was a humane person.

No, the hippies are running computer companies.

The Young Republicans that were stomping on the hippies are the ones running tea parties now.

You know.....that part you hilighted is really interesting. Why? Because the tea party movement believes that mankind is ANYTHING BUT innocent. If they believed in innocence, why do they use such disgusting signs to make their point? Why would they do some of the crap they've done?

By the way.......did you hear about the dude with Alzheimer's who showed up at a healthcare rally? Know what they did to him? Ridiculed and humiliated him.

Yeah.....right.......the tea partiers are hippies and Hitler was a humane person.

Because hippies didn't carry offensive signs?

Because some hippies didn't carry out domestic terrorist attacks?

Because hippies didn't spit on returning veterans and call them "baby killers"?

Oh, there's a whole lot of similarity there.

And Glenn Beck is this movement's Abby Hoffman.

Mankind is imperfect, that was My point. My perspective is that Civil Protest should stay Nonviolent. Being respectful of Others is a great way to achieve that and it should be stressed. Stereotyping is also harmful. The message is not supposed to be about hate and I doubt seriously that it is in the main stream. Tea Bagging is a sex act, not to be confused with Political Action. :):):)

Forum List

Back