An "imperfect comparison"....but perhaps a hopeful one: Christianity and Islam

nat4900

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2015
We all know that Islam is the "newest" of the major world-wide religions.....And we also know that more than half a millennium ago, Christianity underwent an extremely divisive chasm loosely labeled the "reformation".......A chasm that had bloody results until just a few years ago (and may still linger,)

What we may be now noticing is that a somewhat similar chasm is occurring within Islam......not just between the doctrines of the two major sects, but also among members of these sects where a minority opts either to be violent maniacs unaccepting of any deviation of their beliefs, or where a majority wishes to be practitioners of a more peaceful co-existence.

Perhaps time will hopefully bring us to peace.

hey Nat : Fly in the ointment 'may' be the Iranians . Iran is a fairly advanced society , it functions and has some advanced technology . Iran is Shiite and Shiites make up the minority of Muslims throughout the world . Most Shiites are '12ers ' waiting for the return of the 'Mahdi' and his apocalypse . Anyway , the Iranians are one of the the most advanced Islamic societies and they are also one of the societies with the most warlike Sharia sect of Shiite Islam. They seek nuclear weapons . The other players in any reformation might be Egypt and Turkey who I think are mostly Sunni . Turkey was moderate , seems to be going more hardcore under Edrogan . Egypts 'al sissi' recently called for a reformation of Islam . I don't know how a reformation can come about between Sunni and Shiite Muslims . Just some info that I think is accurate but I don't know Nat .

good enough 'OS' , only difference might be that the 12ers in Irans sharia religious government are trying to bring about the apocalypse that will hasten the Mahdis return .

We all know that Islam is the "newest" of the major world-wide religions.....And we also know that more than half a millennium ago, Christianity underwent an extremely divisive chasm loosely labeled the "reformation".......A chasm that had bloody results until just a few years ago (and may still linger,)

What we may be now noticing is that a somewhat similar chasm is occurring within Islam......not just between the doctrines of the two major sects, but also among members of these sects where a minority opts either to be violent maniacs unaccepting of any deviation of their beliefs, or where a majority wishes to be practitioners of a more peaceful co-existence.

Perhaps time will hopefully bring us to peace.
Liberalism and Capitalism will turn Islam into what Christianity is, a religion in name only, for the most part.

• Banned
Well, good folks, maybe this is a bit too optimistic, but based on the several Persian friends that I've met during my long life, they, I et the feeling that the extremism often attributed to Iran may be more political strutting than factual.

Young Iranians seem to be more concerned about designer jeans than proselytizing Sharia......they just have to get rid of the crazed old religious fanatics that make so many damn ridiculous threats.

well , when the young Iranians were doing the Green Revolution in 2009 [was it] and mrobama was the prez of the USA the 'basigi' tamped that revolution down pretty quick as they shot some protesters , beat and jailed others Nat . Uh , no one helped those green revolutionaries and last thing I heard was that some of the Young Iranians are being jailed for singing and dancing some silly 'Happy song' . Let them revolt , I'll support them but the youngsters should be prepared to Die !! Basiji are some pretty hardcore islamists Nat !!

and the thing Is that these designer jean wearing youngsters are just identifying themselves by wearing designer jeans !!

well , when the young Iranians were doing the Green Revolution in 2009 [was it] and mrobama was the prez of the USA the 'basigi' tamped that revolution down pretty quick as they shot some protesters , beat and jailed others Nat . Uh , no one helped those green revolutionaries

Is it really ALWAYS our responsibility to get involved in "revolutions"??? (mindful that we were active in 2 wars on both sides of Iran)........

Of course there are several setbacks to any revolution, but we also know that oppressive put downs of dissent always proves unproductive by the oppressors.

Nonetheless I hope that change happens sooner than later....for all our sakes.

I was just pointing out the mrobama didn't get involved Nat . Then again if the USA had helped the Iranian youth then the possible new gov in iran would be in debt to the USA and they probably wouldn't be looking to build nukes to bring about 'DEATH to America , the west and Americas flowering or mouldering youth culture .

and the help would be covert , not an invasion Nat . I don't know what the covert aid might be , some poison , a few guns , some smallish covert aid or advice , maybe money to pay for services , maybe spy devices .

It should be remembered here that the last time we got [covertly] involved in Iranian politics (the overthrow of Mossadegh in 1953, I believe) we severed our previous, relatively good relations with that country.

need no reminder , as I said , I was just pointing out mrobamas inaction . Its ok with me no matter how things go in iran or the middle east as I just see it on the telly and message boards . I don't see any invasion or immigration that affects me as most all of that happens in the big cities thank God Nat !!

so mrobamas inaction just helped the old style religious nuke building twelvers and leaders that they already have !!

Forum List

Back