An idea for a new class

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Academic stuff is good, but is all the different classes so necessary? Not to say that they shouldn't be around, but I think there are some additional classes they may be of benefit.

For instance, students leaving high school enter the world of financial chaos. Unless they know what to do, they may find themselves in debt in no time, and suffer a lifetime for it. A class on basic finance; bank accounts, mutual funds, basic investing. It could do some good.

Another idea is basic car mechanics. The first thing that spudders any virtually any given automobile and it ends up in the shop. A lot of this stuff could be taken care of. Maybe combine the class with household mechanics, how to tighten a screw and other common household tasks.

Just a thought. Im not saying it should be a required course, but right now there's nothing close to that, not even an elective. What do you think?

They got rid of Economics, and Auto Mechanics classes? They were around when I was in school...as electives, as a matter of fact...

They have economics, but I think that's more of how the economy works and stuff like that, not necessarily financial well-being. I dont know, I havent taken the class. My brother did, I'll have to inquire. And auto-shop, yeah thats a goner. It was around when my brother was a freshman and maybe a sophomore (he had to walk to another building, which is now a separate high school), but not anymore.

Semper Fi said:
Academic stuff is good, but is all the different classes so necessary? Not to say that they shouldn't be around, but I think there are some additional classes they may be of benefit.

For instance, students leaving high school enter the world of financial chaos. Unless they know what to do, they may find themselves in debt in no time, and suffer a lifetime for it. A class on basic finance; bank accounts, mutual funds, basic investing. It could do some good.

Another idea is basic car mechanics. The first thing that spudders any virtually any given automobile and it ends up in the shop. A lot of this stuff could be taken care of. Maybe combine the class with household mechanics, how to tighten a screw and other common household tasks.

Just a thought. Im not saying it should be a required course, but right now there's nothing close to that, not even an elective. What do you think?

My school had woodshop. Some schools had autoshop.

Most kids learned auto repair from dad, or friends, or on their own because they had to in order to keep their car running.
Finance was taught by parents that made you pay your own way for extras (like a car).
It worked, and it worked well, you got a job and were proud of it.

I'm afraid those days are gone.

My kids' high school REQUIRED Consumer Education in junior year. It was right up there with gym credits in the most likely for kids to find themselves short of in senior year, (like gym, they thought 'showing up' would be enough).

It covered checkbook writing and accounting; credit cards; figuring out interest both APR and the other :duh3: ; budgeting; and establishing/maintaining a credit rating; ta dum, doing a 1040A form. They also covered the basics of economics regarding the national budget, something that SHOULD be taught in civics.

Kathianne said:
My kids' high school REQUIRED Consumer Education in junior year. It was right up there with gym credits in the most likely for kids to find themselves short of in senior year, (like gym, they thought 'showing up' would be enough).

It covered checkbook writing and accounting; credit cards; figuring out interest both APR and the other :duh3: ; budgeting; and establishing/maintaining a credit rating; ta dum, doing a 1040A form. They also covered the basics of economics regarding the national budget, something that SHOULD be taught in civics.

Now that makes sense, thats all Im saying is that a class like that should be available. I'm glad to see that it is in some areas--or was.

Mr. P said:
My school had woodshop. Some schools had autoshop.

Most kids learned auto repair from dad, or friends, or on their own because they had to in order to keep their car running.
Finance was taught by parents that made you pay your own way for extras (like a car).
It worked, and it worked well, you got a job and were proud of it.

I'm afraid those days are gone.

I'm afraid as well, sir. It seems like a lot of parents either a. neglect to teach their children about stuff like that, or b. don't know it themselves (look at the percentage of America in debt, and knows dittly squat about fixing cars and householdware).

However, I admire your sense of tradition and desire to uphold that, as do I. Unfortunatley, i dont see it happening.

Kathianne said:

That's AWESOME! I have never heard of a class like that even being offered around here. I have been using Mr. P's method with my kids.

Not too far off the topic....

I would like to start my little girl on an allowance. She will be 10 in May. I have no idea how much to give her. Is $5 a week about right? I put aside the idea of connecting the pay with each job, bc then they started expecting to be paid for EVERY tiny little thing they did. So I was thinking, give a list of jobs/expectations, and a set amount of money. If they neglect their responsibilities they can get their pay docked. Any other ideas, anyone? What did you do with your kids?

Kathianne said:

We had a class like that called "Decisions in the Marketplace." Same basic concepts: balancing a checkbook, comparing insurance, buying cars, etc. Good, real world education, required for all seniors to graduate.

mom4 said:

I would like to start my little girl on an allowance. She will be 10 in May. I have no idea how much to give her. Is $5 a week about right? I put aside the idea of connecting the pay with each job, bc then they started expecting to be paid for EVERY tiny little thing they did. So I was thinking, give a list of jobs/expectations, and a set amount of money. If they neglect their responsibilities they can get their pay docked. Any other ideas, anyone? What did you do with your kids?

I do this with my daughter. She's in 6th grade, so she gets $6/week for her six weekly chores. If she doesn't do them by Sunday night, she a) doesn't get her paycheck that week, and b) gets no TV, computer, movies, etc. until she completes them.

gop_jeff said:
I do this with my daughter. She's in 6th grade, so she gets $6/week for her six weekly chores. If she doesn't do them by Sunday night, she a) doesn't get her paycheck that week, and b) gets no TV, computer, movies, etc. until she completes them.

Not a bad idea. It looks like if she doesn't do one of the six, she doesn't get any money. Definitely a good idea.

If more parents did this kind of thing, and not just financial training, when their kids were young, I wonder how the world will be in another 10/15/20 years or so.

We already know how the kids are today..because their parents didn't do anything 10/15/20 years ago.

gop_jeff said:
Is that $6 bc of 6th grade? Like did you give her $4 in 4th grade? That's an interesting approach.

Kathianne said:

Now that is a course that sounds quite boring, but at the same time, essential to the curriculum. I didn't have anything like that in HS, but it sure would've helped me.

liberalogic said:
Now that is a course that sounds quite boring, but at the same time, essential to the curriculum. I didn't have anything like that in HS, but it sure would've helped me.
I checked, they still make it a requirement. I never met a kid that liked it and too many that had to do it again, though not my kids, other than the 1040 and figuring out interest rates, I had done most of it with them.

mom4 said:
Is that $6 bc of 6th grade? Like did you give her $4 in 4th grade? That's an interesting approach.

Yes. Each year means more money, but also more responsibility. This summer, she'll get an extra chore, but an extra buck each week.

mom4 said:

That's what my parents did with me. My brother turned out much more frugal than I have/am. That's probably the best idea, plus bonuses if they do exceptionally well (bonuses like an extra pack of Lego's, for example). I think a lot of the actual "learning" and "teaching" comes about the young teenage years, where the kid might get a weekend job or something, and will want to save up to buy something more expensive. At ten, I'm afraid money will only be a means to get something, not expected to last more than about 10 minutes. But who knows, I may be proven wrong.

Semper Fi said:
That's what my parents did with me. My brother turned out much more frugal than I have/am. That's probably the best idea, plus bonuses if they do exceptionally well (bonuses like an extra pack of Lego's, for example). I think a lot of the actual "learning" and "teaching" comes about the young teenage years, where the kid might get a weekend job or something, and will want to save up to buy something more expensive. At ten, I'm afraid money will only be a means to get something, not expected to last more than about 10 minutes. But who knows, I may be proven wrong.

No, that's what she wants to do with it. She likes to buy "extras" from the lunch cart at school--- mostly junk food.

But we make her put 10% off the top in the church pouch, and at least 10% in her savings account. If she is making more money, we might make her put more in savings. Otherwise she'll just buy more Oreos.

i had wood shop, auto shop, and home ec.

learned how to use tools, change a tire and oli etc..balance a checkbook and manage a budget and cook and sew enough so as not to starve or go naked

Semper Fi said:

My sister got i think somewhat 50 bucks to spend on our vacation. We went to this store in Missouri and she walked in with 50 and walked out with a few cents left. At the time she was somewhere around 10yrs old. So i agree money basically just means I WANT THAT but i dont have enough money, its all based on discipline and teaching them what you can do and what you cant with money because we all know, money isnt everything.

Forum List

Back