An eye for an eye.

How about letting the still living victim decide the fate of the perp? Those that can't speak because they are dead can speak their mind to the one soon to be joining them.

In reality our judicial system is build up on Judeo Christian laws.

The concept of an eye for an eye has a several thousand year old president straight out of the Bible.

In fact it is responsible for our use of the death penalty here in the United States.

Just for discussion to see where minds are at...let's play a scenario:

You are walking along towards a mall. A group of gangbangers decide you looked at them wrong athough you never even paid much attention to them but this one gal wants to look all bad ass to her pals. She has a vial of acid in her purse. She throws it in your face. You live, but you have no nose and are blind in one eye. You get to choose her fate as she stands in the courtroom and you sit there with bandages all over your face. What would you like her punishment to be?

Me? I don't think I'd want to throw acid in her face. But I would sentence her to 10 years of living in a leper colony helping those who are so bad off they cannot be seen in public, nor wipe their own asses due to not having any fingers. Let her experience what it's like by living it, getting to know the people afflicted, and if she has a soul it will soon emerge. If not, then hope like hell she gets the same affliction while being exposed to it while being forced to help those who need that help.

How about letting the still living victim decide the fate of the perp? Those that can't speak because they are dead can speak their mind to the one soon to be joining them.

we let 12 jurors decide their fate within the parameters of the COTUS.

You are walking along towards a mall. A group of gangbangers decide you looked at them wrong athough you never even paid much attention to them but this one gal wants to look all bad ass to her pals. She has a vial of acid in her purse. She throws it in your face. You live, but you have no nose and are blind in one eye. You get to choose her fate as she stands in the courtroom and you sit there with bandages all over your face. What would you like her punishment to be?

Me? I don't think I'd want to throw acid in her face. But I would sentence her to 10 years of living in a leper colony helping those who are so bad off they cannot be seen in public, nor wipe their own asses due to not having any fingers. Let her experience what it's like by living it, getting to know the people afflicted, and if she has a soul it will soon emerge. If not, then hope like hell she gets the same affliction while being exposed to it while being forced to help those who need that help.

what's a gangbanger doing with a vial of acid?
A gangbanger come near me, I'm skinning the smoke wagon and preparing to throw down.

Gangbanger chicks?

The concept of an eye for an eye has a several thousand year old president straight out of the Bible.

In fact it is responsible for our use of the death penalty here in the United States.

Wrong.............

First off, Yeshua (Jesus to you Christians) was a good Jewish boy. He knew and understood both the Talmud and the Torah.

An eye for an eye was a tenent of Judaic law. If you took someone's eye, and they used it for their living, you were obligated to pay for the money they lost by taking their eye.

A tooth for a tooth? Some people were hide chewers, and needed their teeth to help them to their jobs. If you took a tooth? You were obligated to pay for the cash that they would have lost by losing their tooth.

Basically? If you take something from someone, you're obligated to return their loss.

As far as the way people interpret it now? They're looking for vengance, and in the Bible, it states quite explicitly, that vengance belongs only to Father.

Wrong.............

First off, Yeshua (Jesus to you Christians) was a good Jewish boy. He knew and understood both the Talmud and the Torah.

An eye for an eye was a tenent of Judaic law. If you took someone's eye, and they used it for their living, you were obligated to pay for the money they lost by taking their eye.

A tooth for a tooth? Some people were hide chewers, and needed their teeth to help them to their jobs. If you took a tooth? You were obligated to pay for the cash that they would have lost by losing their tooth.

Basically? If you take something from someone, you're obligated to return their loss.

As far as the way people interpret it now? They're looking for vengance, and in the Bible, it states quite explicitly, that vengance belongs only to Father.

Psst he did Judeo//Christian which includes Jews of course.

BUt you're right in that the Jews did not practice revenge in their legal system.

Of course there are gangbanger chicks. Most carry box cutters. Some carry acid vials. This is california, remember? LA is full of such gangs.

Wrong.............

perhaps the best post Ive seen here in my short time.

that being said, if someone takes my eye, I can live with your/the Bibles response.
However if someone were to harm my wife or my daughter, I would personally hunt the bastard down, catch him, bring him to my property where I would put him in the basement under my shed and I would torture him in anyway I could devise for as long as he could take it before he died.

Maybe thats just me.

Wrong.............

perhaps the best post Ive seen here in my short time.

that being said, if someone takes my eye, I can live with your/the Bibles response.
However if someone were to harm my wife or my daughter, I would personally hunt the bastard down, catch him, bring him to my property where I would put him in the basement under my shed and I would torture him in anyway I could devise for as long as he could take it before he died.

Maybe thats just me.

No. It's not just you. I'm afraid of what I would do if someone hurt my fur children or my ex.

Incorrect ma'am. What would make them think twice and not disgust me would be to lengthen prison sentences and turn prisons into prisons rather than summer camps. No A/C, no TV, no radio, no library, nothing but work your ass off all day then get in your cage at night with time for 3 basic meals and a shower every day.

That works for me too. But in this case he could still do all of those things blind. I would be for both.

I have no sympathy for criminals like this. In this case an eye for an eye would be justice. To whom is justice served best? The victim or the state? To whom does he owe the debt?

Now don't be thinking I have any sympathy for these animals, b/c I don't, and if I sat on a jury of a man who killed some sumbitch who did this to a member of his family; I'd probably vote that it was justified. BUT that is NOT the same thing as state sanctioned torture.

BTW Any such punishment would CLEARLY violate our Constitution.

Even if it was NOT a member of my family i would vote for this punishment. He was of the opinion that it was good enough to do, he should suffer the effect right along with his victim. He is also getting off easily, he will be sedated. I would not have that. I would want him to feel what is happening,know the terror and pain.

I will say that islam has a got a FEW things right and in my opinion is one of them. This also has nothing to do with the constitution, it is not in this country.

That works for me too. But in this case he could still do all of those things blind. I would be for both.

I have no sympathy for criminals like this. In this case an eye for an eye would be justice. To whom is justice served best? The victim or the state? To whom does he owe the debt?

Now don't be thinking I have any sympathy for these animals, b/c I don't, and if I sat on a jury of a man who killed some sumbitch who did this to a member of his family; I'd probably vote that it was justified. BUT that is NOT the same thing as state sanctioned torture.

BTW Any such punishment would CLEARLY violate our Constitution.

Even if it was NOT a member of my family i would vote for this punishment. He was of the opinion that it was good enough to do, he should suffer the effect right along with his victim. He is also getting off easily, he will be sedated. I would not have that. I would want him to feel what is happening,know the terror and pain.

I will say that islam has a got a FEW things right and in my opinion is one of them. This also has nothing to do with the constitution, it is not in this country.

Ditto

How would it violate the Constitution??

Are you serious

8th Amendment

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
I don't believe that it would be a cruel are unusual punishment to blind the perpetrator.

Punishment can be anything that the state or the people decide and carryout

in the name of justice.

Oh i think this falls under cruel and unusual punishment.

It is also justice.

Wrong.............

What is ones sight worth? Can you put a monetary value one seeing the sky? How do you pay for never seeing the faces of your children?

In this case how would you compensate for a disfigured face and blinded to boot? What is beauty worth? Can you pay for the possibility of marrying well? Is there a dollar value on happiness?

How would you propose to return her loss?

Whom does he owe the debt? The one he maimed for life.

The State collects on the debt owed to the State, not on any imagined debt owed to the victim.

Imagined? That crime is some imagining. Imagine being blinded by a face full of acid.

Was it the state that his happened to or the woman?

Imagined in the sense that in a civilized country we have agreed that the government will seek our revenge FOR us when things like this happen.

Personally I think the penalty for something like this should be the death penalty, but that should be done our current system. Not throw acid on the guy til he's dead.

Forum List

Back