an eye for an eye and soon the whole world is blind...ghandi

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Ameneh Bahrami is certain that one day she'll meet someone, fall in love and get married. But when her wedding day comes, her husband won't see her eyes, and she won't see her husband. Bahrami is blind, the victim of an acid attack by a spurned suitor.

Ameneh Bahrami said her attacker pestered her with marriage demands.

If she gets her way, her attacker will suffer the same fate. The 31-year-old Iranian is demanding the ancient punishment of "an eye for an eye," and, in accordance with Islamic law, she wants to blind Majid Movahedi, the man who blinded her.

full article:

Woman blinded by acid wants same fate for attacker - CNN.com

Meh .. I am all for the "eye for an eye" ... it absolves them of their sins so no matter what religion is more true they will get a good place in the after world.

Proportional punishment. It's in the Mosaic law but it goes back to Hammurabi and probably before, One eye, not two, just one eye.

But I don't blame her for one millisecond, not one.

If she were my sister, daughter mother or whathave you, I'd be looking for more than just an eye in retribution for that attack.

i was in threat of losing eyesight in one eye....you cannot imagine the terror that brought to me....and it was just one eye and it was not a certainty ...i realize that i have not blinded anyone intentionally either..but the idea of having someone blinded is beyond anything i can understand at this time and point of my life...but as ed...said...if it happened to someone i loved and held so dear...i do not know my reactions

I am all for eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. It's justice.
And the whole world won't get blind because it's a good deterrent. if everyone knows that his eye or tooth will be taken from him, he will think twice before committing his crime.

I am all for eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. It's justice.
And the whole world won't get blind because it's a good deterrent. if everyone knows that his eye or tooth will be taken from him, he will think twice before committing his crime.

Deterrence doesn't work very well for passion-motivated crimes or insane people. The guy obviously has some serious mental issues. Personally, I think he should have to pay for all of her expenses related to the injury he inflicted. That's normally what would be done in Iran.

It's not like it would be the same experience for him, anyway, particularly in a society where men and women normally fulfill totally different roles. Some people would be able to better handle it in the long-term than others. And in the short term they'd put him under to do it in a much less painful way than she had to experience.

Last edited:
"I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed."

- Gandhi in May of 1940 when the Blitzkrieg began.

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Ameneh Bahrami is certain that one day she'll meet someone, fall in love and get married. But when her wedding day comes, her husband won't see her eyes, and she won't see her husband. Bahrami is blind, the victim of an acid attack by a spurned suitor.

If she gets her way, her attacker will suffer the same fate. The 31-year-old Iranian is demanding the ancient punishment of "an eye for an eye," and, in accordance with Islamic law, she wants to blind Majid Movahedi, the man who blinded her.

full article:

"If I don't do this and there is another acid attack, I will never forgive myself for as long as I live," she said.

Bullshit! He's in prison.

I guess the state was willing to grant her demand in lieu of the fine he was supposed to pay her because they figure if he's in prison, he's going to cost them the same if he's blind or not. It's probably being considered, in some twisted way, as good pro woman PR by the government.

This is what happens in societies where mental illness is treated as criminality.

I feel for the woman, though. Stalkers are very difficult to deter and one can never know to what extent they will go for their "love".

I wonder what his reaction is and will be to his having lost the appeal.

"I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed."

- Gandhi in May of 1940 when the Blitzkrieg began.

what point are you attempting to make

full article:

"If I don't do this and there is another acid attack, I will never forgive myself for as long as I live," she said.

I guess the state was willing to grant her demand in lieu of the fine he was supposed to pay her because they figure if he's in prison, he's going to cost them the same if he's blind or not. It's probably being considered, in some twisted way, as good pro woman PR by the government.

This is what happens in societies where mental illness is treated as criminality.

I feel for the woman, though. Stalkers are very difficult to deter and one can never know to what extent they will go for their "love".

i think she is talking in a broader sense...addressing all men in iran ..not just her attacker

full article:

i think she is talking in a broader sense...addressing all men in iran ..not just her attacker

Good point. That must be why. I wonder if she will go through with it. According to the article she will be allowed to drop a drop of acid into each of his eyes.

What good does torture do. Think of it this way. The man will have to see with his perfect eyes her marry someone else through his prison bars. He will have to look at the faces of her children which are not his.

He is incarcerated and can harm no one else. Blinding him is just going to make it harder on his prison guards to care for him.

Here's a thought. I suppose her corneas are scarred. What if his were compatible with her eyes? Why not remove his and give them to her?

Now that aint bad Anguill.

If they are not compatable with hers maybe someone else whos blind.

That way some good is done.

Now that aint bad Anguill.

If they are not compatable with hers maybe someone else whos blind.

That way some good is done.
It would be a shame to destroy perfectly good corneas.

Not that I would ever choose to do what she has chosen, but if given the opportunity to take one of his corneas to give to someone else or myself, if possible. I think I might do that. I don't know.
In an old fashioned fairy tale he would be transformed into a seeing eye dog for her.

Forum List

Back