An Excellent Case Study In Context (and Bill Clinton's Laugh)!

Is context important

• Hell, NO!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You need to put that question in context, please.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Take a gander at this:

That was a meeting between then-Presidents Bill Clinton (USA) and and Boris Yeltsin (Russian Federation).

It is a funny as hell - because of Clinton's laugh, but here is the complete context:

Boris Yeltsin was criticizing the media on both continents for their doom-and-gloom predictions of how the summit between these two gentlemen would go. However, either the translator got the attribution wrong or Yeltsin (who looks like he had some delicious vodka...) was sloppy in his grammar. In the short clip, there is no way to know that he had just referred to the press. The longer clip, which provides more context, proves that this was so.

So, the next time you see a small sound-bite, regardless from which of many sides of the political spectrum, remember that

1.) Things do not happen in a vacuum.
2.) Context is everything. Without context, no true discernment.

That short video, which I kind of stumbled across, really is an excellent case-study in this point.

:D

CrusaderFrank rightwinger Derideo_Te Mertex kiwiman127 Jroc

A short list of 6 out of many, many people I think could enjoy this thread. :)

• Banned
Pulling things out of context, or skewing them, is an age-old political trick. This is why many politicians appear so stiff and, well, trained, when they speak. It is also why they often avoid quoting anything controversial verbatim.

For instance, a murderer kills an entire family and screams, as the cops catch him, "I drank their blood, it was good".

Candidate A for public office wants to show his disgust over what happened and at a campaign event, quotes the man, saying, "and look at how low we have sunk in Podunk, Nothinkerland, when a man can kill and say "I drank their blood, it was good". Disgusting, simply disgusting"

Less than one day later, Candidate B puts out a commercial showing Candidate A saying "I drank their blood, it was good" and then with the caption: "do we really want to elect a vampire?"

This would be a classic example of deliberately taking something out of context in order to damage your opponent.

Yes, indeed, politics and electioneering can be a tangled web, indeed.

Forum List

Back