An excellent article about legislating morality

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by tim_duncan2000, Jun 5, 2005.

1. tim_duncan2000

tim_duncan2000 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I always hear liberals complain about how conservatives (or the "Christian Right", which is almost interchangeable, even though not all conservatives are Christians and vice-versa, but I digress) are always trying to legislate morality, but yet they do it too.

2. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Liberals always accuse conservatives of the very things they themselves are guilty of. That's a page right out of their handbook.

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <blockquote>For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. - <i>Matthew 25:35-36</i></blockquote>

Some 'Christians' have forgotten or, more likely, ignored that parable. It is their duty as Christians to see to the needs of those who are without succor or surcease. If the government does this, what are they complaining about? After all, the government only acting according to Christian doctrine, which they want it to do anyways.

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

Christ never once said that they should take their responsibilities and assign them to the Government, or that one should take from others to feed another. This is a incredibly personal religion that speaks of your own personal responsibilities, and not to those of the government. It especially never orders people to enforce the collection of money from others to pay for their personal responsibility to the less fortunate and to assign that responsibility to others.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    You always beat me to the punch!

Bully, Republicans believe that the admonition to help the poor is an individual responsibility, not a government one.

6. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    That, and I think my money could be better spent. I'd rather give my money to a charity that funds homeless shelters and provides food to those who can't afford it than to have the government wrench the money out of my hand so they can spend it on condoms to hand out or give it to some welfare mom who's too lazy to get off her fat butt and actually work for a living.