An example of the vast majority

Merlin1047

Mar 28, 2004
AL
Thousands of articles and pictures of Iraqi's stacked naked, but only silence on this. It's bad enough that foreigners and muslims seize every opportunity to pillory our country and our troops and our president. But when our own politicians line up to join in the feeding frenzy, that is beyond simply unpatriotic. It is flat-out criminal. Bet we won't hear anything from kennedy, kerry, sharpton, kucinich, edwards, dean, billory, byrd et al about this article. Unless, of course, they think that there is some way they can milk this for their own gain.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE NEWS

Maybe you'd like to hear about something other than idiot Reservists and naked Iraqis.

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored the uniform he wears.

Meet Brian Chontosh.

Churchville-Chili Central School class of 1991. Proud graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology. Husband and about-to-be father. First Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps. And a genuine hero.

The Secretary of the Navy said so yesterday. At 29 Palms in California Brian Chontosh was presented with the Navy Cross, the second highest award for combat bravery the United States can bestow.

That's a big deal.

But you won't see it on the network news tonight, and all you read in Brian's hometown newspaper are two paragraphs of nothing. Instead, it was more blather about some mentally defective MPs who acted like animals.

The odd fact about the American media in this war is that it's not covering the American military. The most plugged-in nation in the world is receiving virtually no true information about what its warriors are doing.

Oh, sure, there's a body count. We know how many Americans have fallen. And we see those same casket pictures day in and day out. And we're almost on a first-name basis with the pukes who abused the Iraqi prisoners. And we know all about improvised explosive devices and how we lost Fallujah and what Arab public-opinion polls say about us and how the world hates us.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom.

But we don't hear about the heroes.

The incredibly brave GIs who honorably do their duty. The ones our grandparents would have carried on their shoulders down Fifth Avenue.

The ones we completely ignore.

Like Brian Chontosh.

It was a year ago on the march into Baghdad. Brian Chontosh was a platoon leader rolling up Highway 1 in a humvee when all hell broke loose. Ambush city.

The young Marines were being cut to ribbons. Mortars, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades. And the kid out of Churchville was in charge. It was do or die and it was up to him. So he moved to the side of his column, looking for a way to lead his men to safety. As he tried to poke a hole through the Iraqi line his humvee came under direct enemy machine gun fire.

It was fish in a barrel and the Marines were the fish.

And Brian Chontosh gave the order to attack. He told his driver to floor the humvee directly at the machine gun emplacement that was firing at them. And he had the guy on top with the .50 cal unload on them. Within moments there were Iraqis slumped across the machine gun and the young Marine urged his dirver to take the humvee directly into the Iraqi trench that was attacking his Marines.

Over into the battlement the humvee went and out the door Brian Chontosh bailed, carrying an M16 and a Beretta and 228 years of Marine Corps pride.

And he ran down the trench.

With its mortars and riflemen, machineguns and grenadiers.

And he killed them all.

He fought with the M16 until he was out of ammo. Then he fought with the Beretta until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up a dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up another dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo. At one point he even fired a discarded Iraqi RPG into an enemy cluster, sending attackers flying with its grenade explosion.

When he was done Brian Chontosh had cleared 200 yards of entrenched Iraqis from his platoon's flank. He had killed more than 20 and wounded at least as many more.

But that's probably not how he would tell it. He would probably merely say that his Marines were in trouble, and he got them out of trouble. OohRah, and drive on.

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, 1st Lt. Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

That's what the citation says.

And that's what nobody will hear.

That's what doesn't seem to be making the evening news. Accounts of American valor are dismissed by the press as propaganda, yet accounts of American difficulties are heralded as objectivity. It makes you wonder if the role of the media is to inform, or to depress - to report or to criticise. But I guess it doesn't matter.

We're going to turn out all right.

As long as men like Brian Chontosh wear our uniform.

<http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723>
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/lookupstoryref/200456162723

Excellent Merlin. I posted the link to this and the other 'Someone You Should Know' to Krisy the other night, when she was looking for some 'good news.'

Awesome, thanks for posting Merlin!! It's really a shame that you don't hear about this NEWS!!!

ty for for trying to put some reality into an otherwise fantasy riddled media. Could it be called a media cover-up when they ignore news that could be described as "helpful" to Bush ? Guess we gotta wait a while for hollywood to get it on the big screen so they can use him to make bucks.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Are you kidding? there is no such person in existence metioned in this article! that whole thing is a scam to make you think that there is some good in this horrifc war! Bush himself personally paid off a media outlet to publish this story because election time is coming and he doe's not have all the oil in Iraq yet!:rolleyes:

You just can't help it, can ya?:laugh:

Notice, notice well, that it was a MARINE that did this. not some army or air force puke. A MARINE. OOHRAAHHHHHH :usa:

Merlin,
It is great that this soldier did his job and did it well but I dont see what relevance it necessarily has as actual news. Maybe its a good human interest story, might be good for dateline or something but is it really a news story?
This is not to say the media shouldnt report good progress in the war if there is any. What I m saying is it really more important for citizens to know that one marine got some medals and was brave as opposed to "hey isnt it a lil hypocritcal that Iraqi's are being abused in similar matters and in the same prison that Saddam abused them in, but this time by americans."
The thing is we do hear everday about how brave these soldiers are it is rear that we hear about things in the negative. Either way some stories seem more relevant than others and maybe there is a media agenda behind this, but that does not make a human interest story news.

Yikes! What news you watching? It certainly isn't American news because rarely do they report soldiers as being brave. They are all over this war in such a negative fashion it is not even arguable.

You guys must have long term memory loss. I agree that recently the news has been negative but that hasnt been the case through most of the war.
The news takes whatever side is most beneficial to it selling commercial's in the buildup to war it was one of anticipation and patriotism(remember that?). In the begining stages of the war and then all the way up to the march to Baghdad it was positive and there were "brilliant" displays of U.S. firepower. They didnt show the damage it caused because that wouldnt sell ads people would be made sick by blown up bodies and blood splattered streets so it wasnt shown.
Once we were in Baghdad there was intially displays of jubuliant Iraqi's in the streets, soldiers as liberators but that became boring to the american people. Also there was significant resistance building thats more interesting. It drives the story more. If it bleeds it leads as long as the pictures were distant and didnt show true carnage it worked. Now you guys are upset because they showed a few torture photos? Yes they overshow them and yes it probably shouldnt be on TV but lets face it it keeps people watching...

Don't know what you were watching, but the pics of 'jubilant' Iraqi children were few and far between. Had to check blogs to find such in any number. Today the blogs are the only place. The media wanted quagmire and failure-that is what they are still hoping for, but not getting.

Instead they not only get a beheading that the right is incenscensed about, it is a beheading that may hurt the left, because the victim may be a Islam convert and a victim.
geez, some never get a break

Originally posted by Kathianne
Don't know what you were watching, but the pics of 'jubilant' Iraqi children were few and far between. Had to check blogs to find such in any number. Today the blogs are the only place. The media wanted quagmire and failure-that is what they are still hoping for, but not getting.

Instead they not only get a beheading that the right is incenscensed about, it is a beheading that may hurt the left, because the victim may be a Islam convert and a victim.
geez, some never get a break

Wow you know what I m wrong the media didnt help whip us up into a war frenzy. The media tried to stop this war from the begining yea remember all the dissenting voices on tv before the war?
The only reason they are coming out against it now is because the caranage sells and they know that its election time and they have to show some perceived contrast between kerry and bush and build kerry up like he has a chance. The left isnt mad about a beheading? Come on Katherine can we get past the partisan squabbling. That would be like me saying the right doesnt care about all the civilians killed in Iraq. I know most of you do...you may choose to try and ignore it but your not heartless.

Originally posted by Merlin1047

SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE NEWS

Maybe you'd like to hear about something other than idiot Reservists and naked Iraqis.

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored the uniform he wears.

Meet Brian Chontosh.

The kid deserves a CMH for that one. Those at Abu Ghraib deserve a courts-martial, and that as high up the chain of command as they can take it

I agree it was a brilliant display by our forces initially, but at that point there really were no negatives to show as it was a march right through the so called Iraqi army!
There were no negatives or at least no significant ones as far as US fighting domination was concerned but there most certainly was negatives. Taxpayer money spent on the war, no bid deals for adminastration friends, high civilian casualities, no wmd found, and extensive Iraqi infrastructure damage very little of which was reported by the mainstream US press.

by drug war: Wow you know what I m wrong the media didnt help whip us up into a war frenzy. The media tried to stop this war from the begining yea remember all the dissenting voices on tv before the war?
Yeah, you're right, the media did all in their power to keep the American citizens from going into war frenzy.

It is still evident today, with every possible misstep being blown out of proportion. Bush's approval rate has fallen a point or two, but the issues? Nah, the people give him high marks. The media is blaming Kerry's inability to connect with the people, but it's the issues that are killing him.

Me and you care! that does not go for the politicains looking to benefit from the negatives! they are the ones selling the hate not the general public!
I completly agree with you. On both sides they are all opportunists. I suppose you would say i am mostly liberal but I am also pro-life, pro 2nd amendament, and against affirmative action. Can we all stop pretending that it matters whether or not we elect Kerry or Bush? They are both lying to us and will continue to manipulate the situation in there behalf, they just take diffrent approaches.

Yeah, you're right, the media did all in their power to keep the American citizens from going into war frenzy.
I was being sarcastic katherine...

I recall a great deal about the infrastructure damage
Really? Maybe I should watch fox more often.

the WMD's need not be discussed until it's a proven fact that they are non - existing
At one point would you say it would be a "proven fact". Your statement is illogical you are saying that until it is proven that they dont exist, they do exist and therefore until we find them still exist, and if we do find them well then of course they still exist. Interesting how that always works out that they do exsist.

High civilian casualties? it has been hardly the case, in fact I would say we took casualties with too much care put into it! we have to expect a degree of let say collateral damage, and I thing there was a huge emphasis put on that!
What number would you consider high? In the logic of Madeline Albright what number would be worth it?

1) perhap's you should watch Fox more often! seems as though you are slinging that one out as to say it can get more reuplican.
I m not trying to make this personal and I actually watch more fox then CNN. They are both crap but Fox is at least somewhat entertaining. I just made this comment because neither one of us can prove there was or was not adequate coverage of infrastructure damage so i suppose we should agree to disagree.

Typical to assume that they never existed because they have not been found!
Actually thats not what I m saying. In fact I thought they would find a small amount not a lot but some.

Iraq has failed on several fronts to show the wereabouts of several weapon programs that were illegal.
You are trying to say that because they didnt show us where they are then they must have them. How does that make sense? What if they dont really have any more? Then how are they supposed to prove that they actually dont have any with your line of reasoning.

3)So what number would be worth it? Let's factor that in next time there is a war and decide when enough death's have made it quite clear that war has been won by one side or another! This is war, not a skermish with paint ball guns! there will be deaths unfortunately we just have to realize that is what happens when armies play with real weaponry!

I agree but my point is that this is a subjective question not an objective one, so by saying that there isnt too many your trapping yourself because then you have to say how many is too many. Which is of course a very unanswerable question.

Forum List

Back