an example of a CEO that is worth his pay

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
I remember a short time ago hearing all of the experts saying that Apple was history, they might as well close their doors. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and has led that company into record sales. This was on Drudge about Apple's announcement today of 2 new computers. My brother was smart enough to buy Apple stock at 13 dollars a share when the experts waere forecasting it's demise. Since then the stock split making his original price 6.50 a share. I just looked at the latest price. . . 80.47 per share. A good example of never giving up and working very hard to come up with the most innovative designs and quality product, an American company to be very proud of.

Gordon Bethume is another example of a CEO that brought his company back from bankruptcy to one of the top airlines in the industry. Both of these guys earned the respect and admiration of the people that worked for them and with that you can do almost anything.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...874482_RTRUKOC_0_US-APPLE-MACWORLD.xml&rpc=23

Apple debuts Intel iMac after record sales

By Duncan Martell
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc.(AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday introduced a new iMac computer powered by an Intel chip and said iPods helped push holiday sales to a record $5.7 billion, near the top of Wall Street estimates and sending the company's shares up more than 6 percent.

Speaking at the company's annual Macworld conference in San Francisco, Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the company sold 14 million iPods during the holiday quarter and 42 million to date. He also said the company's online iTunes store has so far sold 850 million songs.

"And it still wasn't enough," Jobs said. "More iPods are on the way."

sitarro said:
I remember a short time ago hearing all of the experts saying that Apple was history, they might as well close their doors. Steve Jobs came back to Apple and has led that company into record sales. This was on Drudge about Apple's announcement today of 2 new computers. My brother was smart enough to buy Apple stock at 13 dollars a share when the experts waere forecasting it's demise. Since then the stock split making his original price 6.50 a share. I just looked at the latest price. . . 80.47 per share. A good example of never giving up and working very hard to come up with the most innovative designs and quality product, an American company to be very proud of.

Gordon Bethume is another example of a CEO that brought his company back from bankruptcy to one of the top airlines in the industry. Both of these guys earned the respect and admiration of the people that worked for them and with that you can do almost anything.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsa...874482_RTRUKOC_0_US-APPLE-MACWORLD.xml&rpc=23

Apple debuts Intel iMac after record sales

By Duncan Martell
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc.(AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday introduced a new iMac computer powered by an Intel chip and said iPods helped push holiday sales to a record $5.7 billion, near the top of Wall Street estimates and sending the company's shares up more than 6 percent.

Speaking at the company's annual Macworld conference in San Francisco, Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the company sold 14 million iPods during the holiday quarter and 42 million to date. He also said the company's online iTunes store has so far sold 850 million songs.

"And it still wasn't enough," Jobs said. "More iPods are on the way."
IPOD: The biggest fleece pulled over consumer eyes in years.

The ClayTaurus said:
Let me know how you like it 1 or 2 years from now...

Why? I just got one for Christmas. I'm starting to like my old Sony md better, the battery lasts longer - although it doesn't hold as many songs.

Said1 said:
Why? I just got one for Christmas. I'm starting to like my old Sony md better, the battery lasts longer - although it doesn't hold as many songs.
They're designed so that you have to replace them about every 18 months to 2 years. They got really busted on the battery debacle (you were instructed to just buy a new IPOD when your battery died, ie: would no longer hold a charge), which they managed to survive, but everyone I know who has an IPOD hasn't had it last longer than 2 years. Hard drives get corrupted. The buttons stop functioning. It's designed to be disposable, so you can buy the nano or the photo or the mini or whichever model they pop out.

I actually hope I'm wrong, MtnBiker, and that you're IPOD lasts a long time, but if it mysteriously stops working in the next year, don't think you're the only one.

The ClayTaurus said:
They're designed so that you have to replace them about every 18 months to 2 years. They got really busted on the battery debacle (you were instructed to just buy a new IPOD when your battery died, ie: would no longer hold a charge), which they managed to survive, but everyone I know who has an IPOD hasn't had it last longer than 2 years. Hard drives get corrupted. The buttons stop functioning. It's designed to be disposable, so you can buy the nano or the photo or the mini or whichever model they pop out.

I actually hope I'm wrong, MtnBiker, and that you're IPOD lasts a long time, but if it mysteriously stops working in the next year, don't think you're the only one.

So far, I don't find that it's an improvmetn over the md. Nothing is really better about it and (if I'm not crazy) the md has better sound when hooked up to external speakers. The problem with my md is that I can't open the disk drive (anymore) if I need to replace the disk and it's making some really sick sounds as of late.

Oh well, better than a kick in the head.

i don't really like anything apple/mac because of the lack of being able to use them with any other brand. at least you can have 2 or more different brands of PC's and still be able to network easily. IPODs may be different, i am not sure about their compatability with other brands.

my dell axim (palm pilot) can hold quite a few mp3 files in its hard memory, and I can store more on multiple disks if I need to. I have all 6 harry potter audio books on 5 disks, so I don't need to lug a CD player and cds with me all the time.
Then there are the other multiple functions I use on a regular basis. I even can get local FM radio stations very clearly with it, with a special insert I bought for less than $10. I don't see the need for an MP3 only unit for myself.

fuzzykitten99 said:
i don't really like anything apple/mac because of the lack of being able to use them with any other brand. at least you can have 2 or more different brands of PC's and still be able to network easily. IPODs may be different, i am not sure about their compatability with other brands.

my dell axim (palm pilot) can hold quite a few mp3 files in its hard memory, and I can store more on multiple disks if I need to. I have all 6 harry potter audio books on 5 disks, so I don't need to lug a CD player and cds with me all the time.
Then there are the other multiple functions I use on a regular basis. I even can get local FM radio stations very clearly with it, with a special insert I bought for less than $10. I don't see the need for an MP3 only unit for myself.

That has to do with that crappy Windows operating system, If I want to run Windows based software(I have no idea why I would want to put that garbage on my machine) I can with virtual PC. I haven't met anyone that left a Windows machine for an Apple that wasn't kicking themselves in the butt for taking so long to do it. The Mac uses an operating system designed specifically for MACs. Windows has to work with high dollar or cheap junk, it can't possibly be as efficient and isn't. When is Microsoft suppose to come out with Longhorn, yea that's right, someday. OS10 has already been revised 3 times and gets better with each. Longhorn will be obsolete before it gets in the stores but then again, what's new?

sitarro said:
That has to do with that crappy Windows operating system, If I want to run Windows based software(I have no idea why I would want to put that garbage on my machine) I can with virtual PC. I haven't met anyone that left a Windows machine for an Apple that wasn't kicking themselves in the butt for taking so long to do it. The Mac uses an operating system designed specifically for MACs. Windows has to work with high dollar or cheap junk, it can't possibly be as efficient and isn't. When is Microsoft suppose to come out with Longhorn, yea that's right, someday. OS10 has already been revised 3 times and gets better with each. Longhorn will be obsolete before it gets in the stores but then again, what's new?
How do you like paying exorbitant prices for boxes that "look pretty"?

The ClayTaurus said:
IPOD: The biggest fleece pulled over consumer eyes in years.

Gee Clay,
Maybe you should give these car manufacturers a call to let them know because it is the ipod that they are setting up their cars for. !4 million were sold in the last 3 months, you might let all of those suckers a call and let them know how foolish they are.

Acura
Coming Soon
Audi
Coming Soon
BMW
Z4, X3, X5
Chrysler
Pacifica, Sebring, Town & Country
Dodge
Caravan, Grand Caravan, Neon, Ram, Stratus Sedan
Ferrari
Coming Soon
Honda
Coming Soon
Infiniti
Coming Soon
Jeep
Liberty, Wrangler
Mercedes-Benz
C-Class, CLK, CLS, E-Class, SLK, M-Class, R-Class
Mini
Cooper, Cooper S
Nissan
Coming Soon
Scion
xA, xB, tC
Suzuki
Aerio SX, Grand Vitara
Volkswagen
Coming Soon
Volvo
S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70, XC90

Available around the world.
In Japan, Nissan, Mazda, Daihatsu, BMW, MINI, smart and Alfa Romeo deliver iPod integration with their car stereos for 2006 model lines.

sitarro said:
Gee Clay,
Maybe you should give these car manufacturers a call to let them know because it is the ipod that they are setting up their cars for. !4 million were sold in the last 3 months, you might let all of those suckers a call and let them know how foolish they are.

*list*

Available around the world.
In Japan, Nissan, Mazda, Daihatsu, BMW, MINI, smart and Alfa Romeo deliver iPod integration with their car stereos for 2006 model lines.

You certainly didn't disprove my claim. Unless you're claiming that popularity is the measure of the quality of a product. If that's the case, you look pretty silly not running a windows machine.

The ClayTaurus said:
How do you like paying exorbitant prices for boxes that "look pretty"?

Let me guess, you're the type that goes to Frys or CompUSA and buys a bunch of parts and builds a kit computer so you dislike Apple because they won't prostitute their Operating System or any other parts to the cheapest bidder like Microsoft.That reminds me of "photographers" that learned how to process black and white film so they feel it's more better and more artistic than color.

How about a kit car,why not build your own car? Actually that might be a good idea, maybe someone is making a kit that will take the chassis and drive train from your car and put a body on it that doesn't look like it was designed by Saturn's staff.

I pay the little bit extra for a MAC (I think if you compare equipment head to head the Mac is not any more expensive) because I am using it to make my living so I need to be able to depend on it. Same is true for my Nikons. Canon has obviously been buying a lot of press but when it comes to the feel and the construction Nikon is the only choice for me at whatever cost.

I do know one thing, when I sit down in front of my monitor I know my machine is going to work for me without me having to waste time working on it. After using many MACs for 18 years, I have never had a problem.No severe crashes, none what so ever since I have been running OS10. And no firewall because it isn't needed, never had a virus, period.

I know you aren't concerned with looks, design quality, functionality, or music but I am and will pay for it. I posted the car manufacturers names that do have faith in the ipod and it's quality, they wouldn't compromise their cars by pushing junk but instead will redesign to include ipod. :funnyface

sitarro said:
Let me guess, you're the type that goes to Frys or CompUSA and buys a bunch of parts and builds a kit computer so you dislike Apple because they won't prostitute their Operating System or any other parts to the cheapest bidder like Microsoft.That reminds me of "photographers" that learned how to process black and white film so they feel it's more better and more artistic than color.
I couldn't build my own computer if my life depended on it. I could swap a hard drive, or put some ram in, but a new computer, no.
sitarro said:
How about a kit car,why not build your own car? Actually that might be a good idea, maybe someone is making a kit that will take the chassis and drive train from your car and put a body on it that doesn't look like it was designed by Saturn's staff.
Let's go back and review: you think the Pontiac Montana is a good car that is quite powerful. Your opinion on automobiles is suspect, at the very least ;) My car really must bother you, you bring it up every chance you get. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were jealous.
sitarro said:
I pay the little bit extra for a MAC (I think if you compare equipment head to head the Mac is not any more expensive) because I am using it to make my living so I need to be able to depend on it. Same is true for my Nikons. Canon has obviously been buying a lot of press but when it comes to the feel and the construction Nikon is the only choice for me at whatever cost.
Have you compared the prices? Mac's are horrendusly overpriced when you compare machines with equal performance specs.
sitarro said:
I do know one thing, when I sit down in front of my monitor I know my machine is going to work for me without me having to waste time working on it. After using many MACs for 18 years, I have never had a problem.No severe crashes, none what so ever since I have been running OS10. And no firewall because it isn't needed, never had a virus, period.
I will agree that Mac's are better for video editing, photography, and to some extent, music production. I've never had a virus either. What's your point?
sitarro said:
I know you aren't concerned with looks, design quality, functionality, or music but I am and will pay for it. I posted the car manufacturers names that do have faith in the ipod and it's quality, they wouldn't compromise their cars by pushing junk but instead will redesign to include ipod. :funnyface
Music? What does music have to do with anything? Car manufactures have faith in one thing, and one thing only. IPOD's are selling like hot cakes. They could give a shit less if the product was good or bad. It's popular, so they're jumping on the bandwagon to make a quick buck. Open your eyes. BMW designers aren't sitting around going "by golly, that IPOD is one fantastic piece of machinery! Out of our admiration for it, let's integrate it into our automobiles!" Rather, they're saying: "a lot of people are buying IPODS. If we could somehow attract them to our car over someone else's by being more accommodating to them, we could make a lot of money!"

And design quality? Are you joking? IPOD design quality is shit. I hope they're at least using soft fleece, so that it doesn't scratch your cornias as you try to see through it.

The ClayTaurus said:
Let me know how you like it 1 or 2 years from now...

The battery in mine, now doesn't last longer than 30 min also not strong enough to change the songs. The piece of shit is 2yrs old, almost to the day.

iProduct.gif

Forum List

Back