An ethical question

nucular said:
That's church teaching, not the word of Jesus. Was JESUS in favor of the death penalty?

The church's teachings are taken directly from the bible by scholars, so I would say yes Jesus under certain circumstances would be in favor of the death penalty.

nucular said:
That's church teaching, not the word of Jesus. Was JESUS in favor of the death penalty?

Umm...

"..Jesus believed in the death penalty. It was established by God, codified by the law, supported by Jesus Himself and sustained by the Apostle Paul. Theologians have no biblical evidence against it. They only have their perception of another Jesus. May we never follow that other Jesus but ever remain faithful to the Jesus of the Holy Bible...."

http://www.learnthebible.org/death_penalty.htm

Having the death penalty prevents us from getting literally thousands of violent criminals extradited to the US. In my book this is reason enough to drop it in favor of long prison terms.

www.insidedenver.com
The House of Representatives sent a stern message to Mexico on Tuesday night, voting to block $66 million in U.S. aid if the country does not extradite suspected cop-killers without strings attached.

Angered by the killing of Denver Police Detective Donald Young, the House voted 327-98 to approve an amendment offered by Rep. Bob Beauprez, R-Arvada, to a foreign operations spending bill.

It calls for cutting off U.S. aid to any country that fails to extradite suspects in the killing of federal, state or local law enforcement officers.

Beauprez said it applies to Mexico because, based on a ruling of the country's supreme court, it will not extradite suspects if they could face the death penalty or life without possibility of parole in the United States.

dilloduck said:
Having the death penalty prevents us from getting literally thousands of violent criminals extradited to the US. In my book this is reason enough to drop it in favor of long prison terms.

That could be a reasonable logical reason to put a moritorium on the death penalty as well as revisiting old cases for DNA evidence. And if each state would adopt life in prision without any possibility of parole I would feel better about severly limiting the death penalty to the most extreme cases. There is just too much of a disparity between states laws in which two people committing the same crime get such different prison terms.

-Cp said:
Umm...

"..Jesus believed in the death penalty. It was established by God, codified by the law, supported by Jesus Himself and sustained by the Apostle Paul. Theologians have no biblical evidence against it. They only have their perception of another Jesus. May we never follow that other Jesus but ever remain faithful to the Jesus of the Holy Bible...."

http://www.learnthebible.org/death_penalty.htm

Yet another reason not to be a Crossetarian.

Does this mean that Christians defy Jesus if they don't favor the death penalty?

I wonder how he felt about the death penalty when they were pounding in the nails?

nucular said:

Does this mean that Christians defy Jesus if they don't favor the death penalty?

I wonder how he felt about the death penalty when they were pounding in the nails?

Am I correct in assuming that you just hate all Christians or is it just some of them?

dilloduck said:
Am I correct in assuming that you just hate all Christians or is it just some of them?

I don't hate any X-ians. I am not a big fan of pedophile priests. Because I am not X-ian doesn't mean I hate them. I am a modern person. Although I am not superstitious myself I have friends who are X-ian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Atheist. Who cares? The world needs to enjoy each other despite differences rather than hate each other because of them. Particularly in a place like the US which gets an influx of immigrants from all over the world it is good to find common ground, don't you think?

nucular said:
I don't hate any X-ians. I am not a big fan of pedophile priests. Because I am not X-ian doesn't mean I hate them. I am a modern person. Although I am not superstitious myself I have friends who are X-ian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Jew, Atheist. Who cares? The world needs to enjoy each other despite differences rather than hate each other because of them. Particularly in a place like the US which gets an influx of immigrants from all over the world it is good to find common ground, don't you think?

you certainly seem to enjoy picking on the Christians the most but we can pretend that you don't if you like.

I only have a problem with the "superstitious" people who are here to harm us.

nucular

I seriously doubt that, but he probably would not condemn those who justly imposed it either the way some who think they no better would.

That's really a dumb remark, he could have stopped it anytime he wanted he wasn't just a man he was God, he suffered willingly, however I don't expect you to get that.

nucular said:

For someone who claims to be so tolerant and
everyone so much you really have a conflict there.

dilloduck said:
you certainly seem to enjoy picking on the Christians the most but we can pretend that you don't if you like.

I'm not picking on X-ians in particular. I made a post about pedophile priests. They're fair game. I mentioned meeting creationists who think the world is 6000 years old. That's pretty silly is it not? I poked fun of the Prez and his bad pronunciation, that's not religious. If Leiberman were the president and said that stuff I would also make fun of it.

This is the US message board. X-ianity is the largest religion here. If you make fun of other religions you're just scapegoating on minorities. What's the sport in that? Is there a reason not to make fun of or criticize X-ianity, particularly in its extreme mode?

OK I'll pick on someone else if it will make you happy. I lived in NYC at the time of 9/11. After that I ate pork at every meal for 3 months to protest the Jews and Muslims for making the world unsafe.

nucular said:
I'm not picking on X-ians in particular. I made a post about pedophile priests. They're fair game. I mentioned meeting creationists who think the world is 6000 years old. That's pretty silly is it not? I poked fun of the Prez and his bad pronunciation, that's not religious. If Leiberman were the president and said that stuff I would also make fun of it.

This is the US message board. X-ianity is the largest religion here. If you make fun of other religions you're just scapegoating on minorities. What's the sport in that? Is there a reason not to make fun of or criticize X-ianity, particularly in its extreme mode?

OK I'll pick on someone else if it will make you happy. I lived in NYC at the time of 9/11. After that I ate pork at every meal for 3 months to protest the Jews and Muslims for making the world unsafe.

LOL go for it !!! Making fun of the majority makes you look tougher anyway!

hope you cooked you pork all the way through---( my mom always said that to me)

nucular said:

You are just weird.

I am assuming then that you don't believe in God...Heaven...etc?

dilloduck said:
hope you cooked you pork all the way through---( my mom always said that to me)

When it wasn't a big hunk of pork I just slipped a little bacon, ham, prosciutto or sausage in the food. My mother in law was staying with us. She's a Buddhist and was seriously bummed by the pork. I tried to explain the protest, but I don't think she got the concept.

nucular said:
When it wasn't a big hunk of pork I just slipped a little bacon, ham, prosciutto or sausage in the food. My mother in law was staying with us. She's a Buddhist and was seriously bummed by the pork. I tried to explain the protest, but I don't think she got the concept.

Ain't it the shits? Some people just don't understand the wisdom of the old pork protest!

GotZoom said:
You are just weird.

I am assuming then that you don't believe in God...Heaven...etc?

I don't know what they are. I have no personal experience with gods or the afterlife. I'm still alive (I think).

nucular

I'm not picking on X-ians in particular. I made a post about pedophile priests. They're fair game.

Okay but here's the thing, this topic has been discussed enough on this board to know when someone is using a very small group of people that did horrible things as an excuse to condemn the all priests or all Christianity when the truth is that sin is everywhere and no one is immune. it is also true that most priests are good men who love God and the church they serve, and Chrisitianity is based on some very good tenants of morality, get that, it works.

The other thing you need to understand is there is this tendency on both sides of the aisle but largely by Liberals to generalize things and stereotype for the sake of embarrassing the oposition into submission, such as religious people or using the pedophile priest incidents as a way to attempt to remove credibility from Catholicism or as an excuse to dismiss morality that they choose not to live by, and frankly it doesn't work anymore as it's getting real cliche and played out. Just saying!! :)

Forum List

Back