An epic case of medical fraud – and the agent who cracked it

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
This is the story of how a Miami psychiatrist managed to beat the system year after year, but finally met his match in a health-care fraud investigator named Alberico Crespo.

It started with a letter from US Senator Charles Grassley.

In December 2009, the Iowa Republican demanded to know how a Miami psychiatrist was writing more than 96,000 prescriptions for Medicaid patients. It was nearly twice the number of the second highest prescriber in Florida.

The psychiatrist, Dr. Fernando Mendez-Villamil, responded with a tartly worded message of his own. “I never thought I would be faulted for working hard or for being very organized and efficient,” he wrote the senator.

Health-care fraud costs the US government and insurance companies some $100 billion a year in overcharges and other rip offs, according to experts. It is a perpetual drain on the nation’s wealth, undercutting the ability to provide quality healthcare to those most in need.

The problem isn’t just the growing ranks of crooks in white coats who abuse the US health-care system for self-enrichment. The problem is also that some Americans believe stealing from the government is no big deal.
It has contributed to a lawless atmosphere in which fraud could thrive, and nowhere is the problem more acute than in South Florida.

Even after Dr. Mendez-Villamil was kicked out of Medicaid and barred from Medicare, he continued to operate an elaborate network of bribes, kickbacks, and payoffs that helped hundreds of fake patients fraudulently obtain Social Security disability payments.

Among hard-boiled fraud investigators in Miami, the strange and circuitous case of Dr. Mendez-Villamil stands out as a monument to criminal innovation, brazen defiance, and greed.

This is the story of how a Miami psychiatrist managed to beat the system year after year, but finally met his match in a health-care fraud investigator named Alberico Crespo.

No one knows the story better than the agent who conducted the investigation and stuck with it through seven years of setbacks and surprises. The story, as told by Agent Crespo, offers an inside look at the problem of health-care fraud from the perspective of an agent on the front lines of that battle.
An epic case of medical fraud – and the agent who cracked it

This is lengthy but it's fun.

Medicare an I assume Medicaid, pay 80 percent of durable goods. One would think that for durable medical supplies a person should be able to shop anywhere they want. not so. I assume the reason, somewhat jadedly, that the medical insurers have a deal with the medical equipment suppliers to supply equipment at an inflated price so their cut from the government is bigger. I can't see any other reason. Just like prescription drugs, the market should be open for durable medical equipment.

Forum List

Back